Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: When Dwarf Fortress creeps into your daily life  (Read 6960 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
When Dwarf Fortress creeps into your daily life
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:35:18 pm »

I have some cookies here and it says on the container "Cotton Candy Flavored".  I thought, "So this is what that stuff tastes like!"  Also, I told a friend via email about my day as if I were a dwarf in game:  "She ate well recently.  She gets paid soon.  She was disgusted by a miasma on the bus recently.  She started a new job recently.  She talked to stupid people on the phone recently."  Funnier still (to me) someone on the news said something about the President issuing a mandate and I thought "Only a matter of time before he starts demanding slade in the dining room",

Heh.  This game has invaded my life :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: When Dwarf Fortress creeps into your daily life
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:37:03 pm »

I had a dream I was playing DF last night.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:38:21 pm »

Was it fun, or Fun?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:45:57 pm »

Was it fun, or Fun?

Both, if I recall correctly, though it was mostly designating floors for construction.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:56:03 pm »

Had a horrible/amazing dream where I was a dwarf in fortress mode. It was cool, killing crundles and goblins, until I had to go into a coinstar+spear trap danger room with dead puppies... *shudders* It was terrifying.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:51:31 pm »

I was getting hammered today and I risked my life to get my socks back.
True story.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:57:57 pm »

Had a horrible/amazing dream where I was a dwarf in fortress mode. It was cool, killing crundles and goblins, until I had to go into a coinstar+spear trap danger room with dead puppies... *shudders* It was terrifying.

It is sad, but not unexpected.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 12:45:17 am »

I find myself perking up weirdly when I hear the words "flux stone", "pig iron" or "steel".  I'm like "oh boy, this is a promising site! err... overheard conversation :/"

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:54:37 am »

I visited some mountains, and I saw they had iron sticking out of them and I just wondered if they had flux stones to go with it...

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 01:58:58 am »

Someone was talking about the original Snow White story, which is quite gruesome (written by the Brothers Grimm). Basically, Snow White is presumed dead so the Dwarves sell her "corpse" to the Prince. "That's what Urist would do," I commented. People thought I was drunk.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Segek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 02:10:43 am »

A couple of days ago i almost fell from the stairs.
My first thought was:
!Experiencing mortal fear!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 03:49:14 am »

I vividly remember being amused by how I'd 'admired a fine door recently.' It must have been in a dream or something though, because most real life doors around here are fairly shit.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 05:45:01 am »

I've taken to using "Fun!" as an exclamation of danger.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

filorux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 10:53:34 am »

My wife and I were walking downtown when we came across an unfinished section of sidewalk - it was as if someone had simply not put the last piece of it in.  I told my wife one of the workers must have been standing on that spot at the same moment (s)he was trying to place the sidewalk tile.  I don't think she got it, but I was just hoping some random passerby would grin knowingly.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 02:40:32 pm »

I visited some mountains, and I saw they had iron sticking out of them and I just wondered if they had flux stones to go with it...

I do this, too (I do most of these things, actually).  there's a sculpture (I guess?) made of a huge square chunk of marble in Downtown Denver.  Every time I see it, I think "What a waste of flux!  Damn nobles."  I'd rather keep my town free of magma though :D

A couple of days ago i almost fell from the stairs.
My first thought was:
!Experiencing mortal fear!

Glad you're all right.  But think of it this way: You're hardened now!
Pages: [1] 2 3