Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleeping with your gun..  (Read 2214 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sleeping with your gun..
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:49:46 pm »

So, I've never gotten far in a fortress to start to develop my military.  This time I have armor production up and running.  I just got a message that Sigun Lathoncatten has grown attached to a copper crossbow.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping with your gun..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »

Nice! That is amazing! Now he will always one shot creatures, AND always hit them! Your so lucky!

You probably should prioritize his safety over others, so you will keep him.

I'm just kidding! But seriously, that's not bad or good. It just means if it is carried off he will get mad, and if he uses it enough, he will get happy thoughts. That's what happened to me when people were getting attached to their iron battle axes and breastplates and things.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:18:59 pm »

I've got at least one dwarf, if not two, with claimed weapons like this, and had no idea it had benefits :> I just figured he'd smash tables if he lost his crossbow :|

I also don't generally end up making a military on most play attempts, either due to early death or botched/bad embarks, or recently from ditching old games to update DF versions :) I also dislike the overly-complex-though-functional UI (all the equipment stuff could be condensed into a screen that actually shows the available equipment slots and what they're wearing, etc)..

This time I embarked with two dwarves dedicated to crossbow and have been cranking wooden bolts out around the clock.. I've tossed in three or four useless peasants for axedwarves too.. They've handled the keas and other occasional rowdy animals well, but they've only been tested so far (in 2+ years) by a group of four goblins, which they utterly destroyed..

My wealth levels are all messed up this round because I thought I was on a solid aquifer map and only recently found out that there is no aquifer under the hill on the east side of my map, so I've just lately gained access to gems and metals :O I did enjoy living in the damp sand while it lasted, though..

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:34 pm »

So you just never lasted long enough to get to use a military? That's unfortunate.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 01:42:06 am »

AFAIK, dwarves will only get attached to weapons and shields, I believe the dwarf must have gotten at least one kill using the item in question. After the weapon/shield has delivered many killing blows, the dwarf may give it a unique name, as if it were an artifact (this does not, however, make the item any better).

"Attached" items can still be removed, by unforbidding them and adjusting the dwarf's uniform to use something else instead . . . or taking them out of the military altogether.

Just in case a dwarf does perform better with attached items, and/or get unhappy thoughts from not having them or seeing somebody else with them (none of which I've ever noticed), that's a good argument for getting Legendary Weapon & Armorsmiths before forming a military, so that your warriors don't get attached to anything but masterworks.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 02:21:45 am »

I've had dwarves use a copper weapon for years, then upgraded the military to iron. The next battle (which was only about week later, by complete chance) had two different weapons get attached to by their owners. I interpreted it as "boss, we like the iron weapons. They're really doing their job. We want to keep these weapons thanks."

...that said, the dwarf who still goes down in History, for me, as being able to kill the most effectively was a completely unarmed cook who chose to bite her husbands killer to death, then obliterate an entire goblin siege without the use of a weapon. I stopped worrying as much about weaponry after she did that. She was magnificent. I kept checking to see if she was infected with lycanthropy or something, but she was just a young mother furious about suddenly being a single parent, with her hands full of baby.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 01:00:06 pm »

Say a dwarf gets attached to a copper axe, and then the ?duces him a steel axe to use. Would putting the weapon he is attached to into a display/trap in his bedroom give any good thoughts?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 01:02:47 pm »

You want to avoid dwarves getting attached to low quality weaponry, if possible.  Not that its a huge deal for a crossbow, but when your legendary sworddwarf gets attached to the obsidian sword, its not going to end well.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 01:29:49 pm »

So, I've never gotten far in a fortress to start to develop my military.  This time I have armor production up and running.  I just got a message that Sigun Lathoncatten has grown attached to a copper crossbow.
Never gotten far enough? I find it's the simplest way to defend an early fortress, just make a crossbow and some bolts, and recruit a dwarf into the militia and you can start protecting your citizens, much faster than building traps or walls to protect your fotress when you only have a few dwarves... If you can build a danger room, even better, you could have one to three dwarves chase off the first two invasions themselves...

Copper crossbows aren't too bad, they can still be used as acceptable melee weapons since they're metal, but a base quality crossbow isn't so great as far as ranged weapons go, you would ideally want a high quality crossbow...

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »

Yeah, I find military is one thing I wait to develop.  My last two fortresses I've made an effort to start squads.  But without metal crafting up and running they are just regular dwarfs with too much time on their hands.

Haven't done danger rooms yet.  That wasn't in the game last time I played (I don't think) and just haven't gotten to it as I'm still learning stuff.

No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »

You want to avoid dwarves getting attached to low quality weaponry, if possible.  Not that its a huge deal for a crossbow, but when your legendary sworddwarf gets attached to the obsidian sword, its not going to end well.
Quality isn't as big a deal as you might think. According to the wiki, masterwork only gives a 2x bonus over no-quality, which isn't really noticeable except versus some forgotten beasts.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »

Quality isn't as big a deal as you might think. According to the wiki, masterwork only gives a 2x bonus over no-quality, which isn't really noticeable except versus some forgotten beasts.
I mean material quality :D

But aside,  Ill take that masterpiece over that exceptional hammer all day.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 04:10:15 pm »

Actually, so far as I can tell from a few arena experiments, it's possible to overstate how much difference material makes as well; broken limbs are basically an instant knock-out against anything living.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 08:10:37 pm »

Technically, all the things you do merely increase your odds, it's possible for one dwarf with a copper sword to kill 50 armored goblins if they're exceptionally lucky, but mostly skill, weapon type, and what coverage of armor they have makes a bigger difference as to what they can kill than whether they have a masterwork or an exceptional sword

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 08:12:50 pm »

You guys seem to have a completely different with the Random Number Goddess than I.  She is a cruel mistress, and her effects are felt everywhere.  Better to be lucky an have saving throws or at least understand what your unluck will do.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2