Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Elves, and more competent warriors  (Read 3641 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Elves, and more competent warriors
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 02:26:45 pm »

I had the idea of making castes of elves with the ability to transform into werebeasts when in danger. So, there'd be ambushes from seemingly normal elves, then suddenly you've got 5 or 6 huge wolf-beasts all up in your army's grill. Never got around to implementing it, but the plan was to use the various werebeast transformation reactions in Fear the Night as a base for the reaction. I like Fear the Night's werebeasts because they'll transform when in danger rather than just once a month.

Would take lots of work to put in, I suppose, since you'd need to define 1-2 (1 or both genders) castes for each type of transformation and you'd also need to define the creature it'd be turning into.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 07:41:18 pm »

Personally, I find the simplest method to be giving them spears and some sort of blunt weapon instead of swords, which play to wood's real-life strengths; it won't hold any kind of edge but you can sharpen it to a very serviceable point, and a cudgel made of good oak is just as effective in practice as one made of iron.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 09:48:36 pm »

I'd also bump their stats, in general.  Gait, attack speed, dodge, strength... Elves in DF are pretty brutal cannibals and murderers, they're not the flimsy pixies of LOTR.

Flimsy pixies? For thousands of years the Firstborn were the finest warriors, craftsmen, and scholars of Middle-earth, and they still are, though their numbers have dwindled. The Elves of the First Age are some of the biggest badasses in the entire history of Middle-earth; they're far greater than many men and dwarves of later ages.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 10:46:11 pm »

I'd also bump their stats, in general.  Gait, attack speed, dodge, strength... Elves in DF are pretty brutal cannibals and murderers, they're not the flimsy pixies of LOTR.

Flimsy pixies? For thousands of years the Firstborn were the finest warriors, craftsmen, and scholars of Middle-earth, and they still are, though their numbers have dwindled. The Elves of the First Age are some of the biggest badasses in the entire history of Middle-earth; they're far greater than many men and dwarves of later ages.
Read the Silmarillion of you truly wish to understand the Elves of Toliken, as the person above does.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]