Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Elves, and more competent warriors  (Read 3649 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Elves, and more competent warriors
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 05:58:37 pm »

I've always thought that elves grow their weapons something like this.

And magical wood should be able to do cut steel.
IRL only gladiators and desperate slaves fought wearing that little. :D
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »

Let them grow/have pet Treants.

Big walking guardian trees.

edit: Or they have weapons that make people burst into greenery like a troll in central park, little plants start growing all over them until they turn into a tree o.O
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:51:38 pm by Ganb »
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:19 pm »

Honestly, Elves are already pretty deadly, under the right circumstances. I once saw an army of Elves conquer and wipe out an entire Human civ using large numbers and war animals. I've also heard that they can siege in the hundreds, and they exist in the 10,000's on larger worlds. There are so many that to make them more powerful would result in them taking over every world they exist in. I do agree that they should have a bit of magic when it's added in, though. It just fits well.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 10:16:40 pm »

The point is that when they come to your fort, they are hella weak.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 10:22:27 pm »

Well, the archers can do some damage, unless your Dwarves have full plate, and they will come stealthed, or in large numbers. Unfortunately, I can never get them to siege me so I've never experienced it firsthand. I can only go off of stories I've heard.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 10:26:36 pm »

Well, the archers can do some damage, unless your Dwarves have full plate, and they will come stealthed, or in large numbers. Unfortunately, I can never get them to siege me so I've never experienced it firsthand. I can only go off of stories I've heard.
In the new version they are better than previous versions, based only on my testing.

ranged weapons were corrected (nerfed, effectively).
Skulls were made thicker, and unarmed attacks seem weakened.

Elves have more time to get in a critical hit.  Which is why I'm leaning towards a roguish elf.  Lots of little attacks to make a big difference, and stealth bonuses.

In previous versions elfs had the rail guns to protect them.  But they were easy pisy.  Id rather take elves to humans, and humans to goblins.

---

Making the elves better in local fortress sieges will usually have an effect on worldgen.  Larger size, lessso, but natural skills, immorality, and increased access to materials will.

Spells and access to any one mount don't seem to improve worldgen survivability all that much, and sometimes result in  . . . 'interesting' side effects, depending on how worldgen uses them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:29:47 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 10:51:56 pm »

Procedurally generated poisons could definitely work, it wouldn't even matter whether or not the arrows could get through your armor, the contaminant could transfer.

Or,  if you want more !!fun!!, perhaps they could tame titans?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 10:58:00 pm »

I actually just "modded" my elves recently, though I'm not sure how well it worked overall.. :| I'm a bit of a mad copy/paste butcher with it..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:03:00 pm by dwarf_reform »

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 06:26:29 am »

so how would one go about modding in poison usage?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 10:59:05 am »

Blowgun skill, from what I gather.  Any ranged weapon that depends on the blowgun skill can be (randomly) poisoned.  So adding a unique bow for the elves and making it level the blowgun skill will make them have randomly assigned poisons on them.
PKs DF Mod!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 01:56:01 pm »

Blowgun skill, from what I gather.  Any ranged weapon that depends on the blowgun skill can be (randomly) poisoned.  So adding a unique bow for the elves and making it level the blowgun skill will make them have randomly assigned poisons on them.

FYI, you'd need to give elves the USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS tag for this to work right (using animal venoms and such) without some special modded-in poison, otherwise they'll only use gnomeblight. The poisons assigned may be random, but it does depend on what the civ is allowed to have access to. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »

I actually just "modded" my elves recently, though I'm not sure how well it worked overall.. :| I'm a bit of a mad copy/paste butcher with it..

Those are some pretty big changes. Your elves are now evil, are happy to murder nature, and live in cities. Any particular reason why you took them in such a radical direction? Not judging, just wondering.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 04:53:20 pm »

Those are some pretty big changes. Your elves are now evil, are happy to murder nature, and live in cities. Any particular reason why you took them in such a radical direction? Not judging, just wondering.
Rise of the Elves?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:09:09 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Retired/Extended Sigs

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 06:52:48 pm »

Has anyone found out how to mod grown wood?

Otherwise I'm thinking glass gear is a way to go.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 06:51:07 am »

Glass armour, yes, but only if it has suitably dwarven and !!fun!! consequences for anyone who wears it.

The Hammerdwarf strikes the elf in the upper right arm with the *steel war hammer*, shattering the glass armour!

An artery has been torn open! The muscle is torn and the fat is torn.

The elf has been struck down.

Flying glass shards from shattered armour could also potentially damage unarmoured dwarves nearby, making glass armoured elves effective suicide bombers.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4