Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Elves, and more competent warriors  (Read 3642 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Elves, and more competent warriors
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 07:26:59 am »

^ not currently possible through modding. We'll just have to assume the elves use magic to hold the glass together. Besides, that would make elf sieges easier, not tougher, because why on earth would you be bringing unarmored civilians into the middle of a siege to allow them to get sharded?

I have some ideas for syndrome that can be incorporated into a magic system for elves. Here are a few:
-A syndrome that has to be transfered by touch, which results in drowsiness>extreme drowsiness>a small chance of the dwarf turning into a changeling, which is like a dwarf but [CRAZED]
-Dwarves have spores in their lungs from hanging around mushrooms all the time. Elves sing to plants to make them grow. Elves can sing to dwarves to make mushrooms grow in their lungs, causing them to fill with blood and drown. Grimdark.
-Elves can throw globs of the randomly generated evil weather. This means they'll pose a very different threat each game: they might be throwing an annoyance, but it could spread and make a morale problem, or it could liquify dwarves, or it could husk dwarves (uh  oh).

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 10:12:02 am »

I like the third idea very much, but as far as I know you can't make custom creatures use any of the random interactions/generations themselves.

If that's true, then there's a simple workaround. You could copy the elf raws several times, give each one a different name and interaction, and then add ALL of them to the elf entity.
E.g.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though of course with fluffier names for each elf subtype. When the game creates each elf civ, it will pick one of these creatures to populate that civ.
 While this could take a little bit of work, this set up would have the effect you seek. You''d have to get someone tech savvy to change which elves had which syndrome every once in a while in order to preserve the surprise element.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »

I'm fairly sure you can. The randomly generated materials use the same names each time they're generated. You just make a custom interaction, specify use of one of the randomly generated materials (you won't know what it does until you play) and then you're golden. Maybe. It requires testing and I'm writing essays atm...

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 09:17:16 pm »

From the limited tests ive done,,,, seems the grown tag is hardcoded or attached to an elf specific tag.

If you give elves metal all their weapons and armor become grown as well.

Seems pretty elfish to go into battle with a grown bronze scimitar

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 10:43:48 am »

^ not currently possible through modding. We'll just have to assume the elves use magic to hold the glass together.

Why not just use magic to hold wood together? It seems more elven, and glass armour looks and sounds stupid.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 10:44:29 am »

^ not currently possible through modding. We'll just have to assume the elves use magic to hold the glass together.

Why not just use magic to hold wood together? It seems more elven, and glass armour looks and sounds stupid.
That would likely be a custom material, and giving them a metal-like wood.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 10:53:26 am »

There is already a wood called ironwood. Elves could simply see it more literally.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 01:07:20 pm »

That would require a custom material template, unless you want all wood to have the new stats. That may be the easiest thing to do. Not sure if it would make wooden arrows OP.

Although I feel like we need something more unique for elves, lest they just become goblin clones.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »

So, I whipped up some basic spell ideas for elves.  I am certainly against most magic, and aggressive or offensive magic most certainly.  Go die in a fire, Final Fantasy.

But here are some ideas, I have a third that's a 'cleanse' spell, removing cave adaption, giving an urge to go on break, and removing inebriation (giving max alcohol deprivation).  Even in humans this would be negative for the break causing, but dwarves should instantly get lazy.

Also want a small size and aggression reducer.  Maybe a 'frog' spell?

A spell to make non-sentient animals humungous

And a spell to make you go berserk if you try to flee
Spoiler: Rage on self (click to show/hide)

Do note that 1200 is a full day, which in fortress mode is nothing.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 10:22:25 am »

Liking the syndromes!

Got another idea; why not just make custom weapons that better suit wood/glass/stone as a material, and use them? Historically metal-less weapons have been used by many cultures to great effect. Elves don't use metal, but that doesn't mean they need to be primitive. Make daggers of obsidian - far sharper than steel can get IRL, we only don't use them because they don't keep an edge after sustained use and because they're brittle and break relatively easily. Make clubs out of harder woods and end with a spike so they can be used as hard-hitting piercing weapons! Etc.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 01:13:52 pm »

I'd also bump their stats, in general.  Gait, attack speed, dodge, strength... Elves in DF are pretty brutal cannibals and murderers, they're not the flimsy pixies of LOTR.

To be fair elves in LOTR are far superior to humans in every way and are described as anything but flimsy >.>

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »

If I recall correctly, small stone clubs were supremely effective, a blunt ironwood axe worked extremely well (and could have a spear at the end of the haft), and just stone-tipped spears were very useful. Instead, DF Elves make flimsly wooden swords, spears with no good tip, and merrily march off to their deaths.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 10:21:18 pm »

You could just give them railguns again.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 03:33:51 am »

I've always felt the best way to go about this would be to give them like, quasi-magical themes that transform wooden items into a material that's metal grade. So like, wood becomes iron-strength through being alchemically treated, but it's expensive and uncommon so only elite elves have it. Maybe for the more common soldiers they have like, copper-grade items. Combine that with similarly elite exotic, war-trained animals that they bring to sieges, and perhaps some kind of magical explosions/fireballs or some such. Maybe like, grasping roots, bramble fields, or poison clouds?

Basically, weaker individual soldiers than dwarves, but they have a wider variety of forces with greater versatility than what a typical, straight up dwarven militia would be expected to have.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 05:05:27 am »

What would make elves more capable and still fit the generalized lore Toady has lain out?

I like nice and simple. Significantly increase their attributes (archery, dodging, etc.) and somewhat increase their strength (or size if you want).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4