Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: D&D 5e : Gasrath is not just another city : the OOC Thread.  (Read 10812 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e : Gasrath is not just another city : the OOC Thread.
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2014, 01:45:21 pm »

Another mecanical thign, now that it may matter : prone targets give advantage to attackers in melee (even with a ranged weapon), but disadvantage to attackers that aren't adjacent to them (though it doesn't really matter if the attacker is hidden).

PS: Varee, tell me if you want to rage and when, right ?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:51:47 pm by tompliss »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »

Pretty sure the choice was javelins or a simple weapon, and I chose the simple weapon (mace) so that I could have all three damage types.
Also, how did you guys get out in front of me so fast? Last I checked, I was way out in front, and I would've started running the moment I saw the smoke. I understand that Sylla would be way faster in tiger form, but I didn't think Peren could run 80+ yards further than me in the span of a few seconds.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »

Peren is a wood elf (35 feet base movement) monk (+10 bonus), so he moves at 45 feet per turn instead of 30 for the rest of you (except tiger Sylla)

And AlleeCat, everybody being lvl3 means that you can get a bit more than the basic equipement. This means tools for those who are proficient in them, a bigger list of creatures seen for the druid, and possibly javelins and a shield that also count as a holy symbol for your paladin.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »

In that case, I would probably want a longbow. She says before she sees that javelins use STR as a modifier...
I'll go with javelins, then. I teased the idea in my head of having throwing hammers for a bit, but javelins have a longer range, and I can use them as a one-handed piercing weapon and have a shield when the pike would be impractical.

EDIT:
Would it be possible for you to post the initiative roster for us in the IC thread?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:10:03 pm by AlleeCat »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2014, 03:26:35 pm »

I didn't use the real initiative order, but let the whole group play then the goblins, and I think it will stay that way for this combat :
As we're all around the world, it's easier (if we don't want to combat to last weeks) that way, I think. Moreover, as you all come from far away, you could always slow down to arrive in melee in the order you want.

I'll just (try to) make sure that everybody post one action before processing the next turn for the goblins, but any player can go first, right now.
That being said, even with javelins, your paladins will not be in range for this turn and may not have many other options than simply running (same as the warlock). The bard could try and fire a bolt, but being at long range, it may be wiser to run too.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2014, 12:11:46 am »

Two questions:

Do hidden attackers get Advantage on their first turn in combat? I couldn't find a reference to that.

Now, in my action, I did something that was probably against RAI (Rules As Intended), but fits RAW (Rules As Written). Monks can't add their Dex bonus to Monk Weapons (All simple weapons and shortswords) with the Heavy or Two-Handed properties. I just attacked with my Quarterstaff, which is Versatile, meaning I can use it with two hands. Could I use my Dex bonus in this case?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2014, 01:44:39 am »

"When you attack a target that can't see you, you have advantage on attack rolls agaisnt it" (PHB, p195).
But there is another thing about that, soemwhere else, that says that if you' running from your hiding spot to a creature, it would see you and no longer give you advantage.

When I read "first turn" in your sentence, it makes me thing about the surprise round but those don't grant advantage normally. Assassins (one of the rogues specialization) get a passive ability that grant them advantage (and auto-crit) on attacks in the surprise round (and if the target hasn't acted yet, even if not during the surprise round).

To put it in a nutshell, you're much more likely to get an advantage from being hidden if you attack at range, or if the target is just behind a corner/window and looking the other way.

Using the Qstaff with 2 hands doesn't prevent it from using dex (monk weapons is about using them with finesse, and finesse isn't about it being 1 or 2 hands, but about the way you move the weapon).

It doesn't prevent you from using the martial art extra attack either, but it means that you attack with the Qstaff in 2 hands then un-wield 1 one to extra attack. If you used he Flurry of Blows, it would be the same :)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2014, 03:38:49 am »

Couldn't I kick them? Or head-butt them?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2014, 03:46:34 am »

Yeap, you could also kick/headbutt them :)

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:04 am »

You were talking about rage in ooc thread so i assume i was raging, if not nvm then i still wanna pounce on him
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2014, 04:29:49 pm »

Ok guys...
I'm the DM, and I'm not sure I understand what's happenning, here (in the IC thread). :/
Everybody wants to go to Gasrath, yet people are going to fight over who takes the peasants there (while everybody walks together) ?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »

Peren didn't like that Harold was evicting them out of their homes, but since they want to go, that argument flopped.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2014, 04:54:52 pm »

That's what I thought, but I read that there is still a "problem" ^^'

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2014, 01:37:14 am »

I don't like the idea that people will side against me. OOC, at any rate. Harold doesn't give a damn.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2014, 01:40:39 am »

Dont worry , I am on your side :D i am on everyone's side actually as bear man dont really give a damn about anything but looking at trees and making maps :P
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10