Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having trouble melting weapons and smelting ore. 'Needs Melt Designated Item'  (Read 1036 times)

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have been playing for a while and never had this problem before. I have melted objects with success in previous games.

I keep getting the 'needs melt designated item' message. However the weapons I want to melt are sitting in my stockpile, not forbidden and designated with the 'M'

Could I be missing something? They are goblinite if it matters. Yes they are unforbidden. I triple checked. I am using LNP 40_11 r3 with DFhack + bugfixes +performance tweaks

Edit - I am now having the same problem with smelting ore. "Needs Limonite" I have limonite.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:17:55 pm by Art »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Do you have any stockpile links?  That could be the culprit.

Also, to be sure, no burrows and dwarves can path to the items?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you have any stockpile links?  That could be the culprit.

Also, to be sure, no burrows and dwarves can path to the items?
No burrows

No links involving the main stockpile nor the magma forge or smelters.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit - Aha found the problem. I had some small stockpiles giving to the forge. They were full of bars with no room for ore or weapons.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:39:47 pm by Art »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit - Aha found the problem. I had some small stockpiles giving to the forge. They were full of bars with no room for ore or weapons.

Giving to the forge shouldn't affect the smelter.  Unless that stockpile is also set to give to the smelter and is full of bars.  They would just use unstockpiled ore/weapons in that case.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku