Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Bolt material in v.4?  (Read 4206 times)

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Bolt material in v.4?
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:47:30 pm »

I have read that silver was the best bolt material in v.34, but understand that physics have changed. Considering this, does any know what the best bolt material is now? Input and explanation is appreciated.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Best Bolt material in v.4?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:55:40 pm »

Your results may vary, but I found "whatever I've got" to be the best, in whatever version.  what have you got most plentifully, because remember these are one-use.  I usually go for bone, simply because of the amount of bones I end up with and the ease of production.  Wood is also decent, after you've got magma smelters.  Since things like material amount have been fixed and weapons and armor take a reasonable amount of metal, and metal drops relatively less from the ground, then I don't produce metal bolts.  I've got better things to do with metal.  There's armor, there's weapons, there's statues...  Metal has uses, bone has less uses, let's throw bones at our enemies, instead of things that can be turned into battle axes.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:06:41 pm »

I tend to use bone, wood, and goblinite the most.  Long ago, I modded stone bolts into the game and those actually worked decent, but I haven't done that in a while.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:17:17 pm »

I usually use copper, or silver if I have gold. Other than that, it's mostly bones left over from ranching.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:40:07 pm »

I usually set up a job in my weaponsmith's forge to create copper bolts (assuming I have abundant copper), using dfhack's workflow to keep a constant supply of a few hundred or so, depending on how many marksdwarves I have. This works nicely to give my weaponsmith plenty of practice.

I also usually do similar with my bonecrafter, just to get rid of the pile of bones.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:09:41 pm »

I appreciate all of the suggestions, but I meant what material grants the most killing power.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:29:02 pm »

I think steel and adamantine are the top contenders now.  Steel armor can deflect any equal or lesser material now with a very high probability if I recall.  I'm not sure about iron armor, but I suspect that it's the same story.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:42:40 pm »

So silver's density no longer outweighs steel's sharpness?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:55:24 pm »

So silver's density no longer outweighs steel's sharpness?
Crossbow bolts were being registered as blunt damage, which made weight the only issue.  I believe they now do appropriate damage values, which makes them cut/pierce if the material is sharp enough, and that literally changes everything.  Previously bolts had no value for sharpness, so steel bolts were just 'the weight of steel' but now that they follow piercing damage types, they get 'the weight of steel as well as the edge steel holds'.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:05:36 am »

I find steel bolts are better than adamantine. I tested it out in arena, on iron armor, steel wins, steel armor, steel wins, copper armor, adamantine. No armor, adamantine by far. So I guess pop some adamantine bolts in for your hunters.  :P
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 02:35:45 am »

I appreciate all of the suggestions, but I meant what material grants the most killing power.

Against whom?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:07 am »

be careful with wood bolts.  We all know wood has crap for sharpness values, and its density varies greatly.  in v34 I noticed huge differences between wood and bone.  Metal is good though.  Stacks of 25, and any non-candy metal will weigh a lot, doing significant damage.

Metal bolts are especially good against the undead, at least back when they had a hitpoint system.  undead move slow, so no missed shots. and each shot would do enough damage to kill, rather than against goblins where it would seem they'd get pin-cushioned and yet never bleed out.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 11:41:59 am »

Against whom?

Mainly goblin siegers, but I was asking in general. If there are nuances I would be happy to know them.

Let me ask it another way. How would you order these, without considering supply.

Iron
Steel
Copper
Silver
Bronze

And why. Or this something that nobody knows the SCIENCE behind at this time?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:14:56 pm by Art »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 11:47:42 am »

It's rather the same as weapon materials now.  "Get x type weapon to beat similar level of armor."

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 11:56:04 am »

Adamantine bolts remain poor against armoured foes, from what I've seen, but steel now outclasses silver. I haven't done any !!science!! on it, though.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.
Pages: [1] 2