Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In absence of a poll, have some handy links!

Reminder: If you're comfortable with it, approximate height and weight would be good info for the character sheet
- 6 (42.9%)
Handy link to Character sheet!
- 2 (14.3%)
Handy link to map!
- 1 (7.1%)
Tropes page as well, why not.
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 427

Author Topic: If Forumites Were Stuck in an RPG (2nd thread. REBOOT COMMENCED)  (Read 289605 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
If Forumites Were Stuck in an RPG (2nd thread. REBOOT COMMENCED)
« on: September 11, 2014, 03:56:05 pm »

OP of original thread, if you want it. Mostly forked from it.

Now with tropes page!

GM Message of the day:
From now on, I'll be puppeting absent players when the course of action is obvious (doesn't really need a decision) and when they're holding up the room. Unless they request otherwise, of course.

For those new and returning, the premise is this:

You (as in you) wake up in a pod in a strange room, with a set of your usual clothes (and items you carry around) and the most weaponizable object you own/in your home. The room leads into an expansive dungeon full of bewilderment and peril, and as you discover sooner or later, your fellow Bay12ers.

If you want to catch up, the short story is that after a few rooms, and some troubles with alcoholism, lycanthropy, and death, the party came across an "overworld" room and discovered a player settlement at the center. If you want to know what's in the rooms so far, there's links in the map page. However, it's not necessary to know the story so far in order to play. You'll discover things as you explore.

And to catch up current players on what's going on with their groups:
Group 1 (Arcvasti, HugoLuman, SentientBowtie, Omeganaut, Cryxis, GentlemanRaptor, technicallyAdventurer, Ace of Hearts, "Crematio" the ghost (NPC), InsaneGame27, Propman, Armach, EndlessBlaze, 0player) After joining up with (most of) Group A, they finally enter the bank vault.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143615.msg6117178#msg6117178

Group Alpha (Caroline, FelixSparks, Propman[controlling NPC Lilium]) Currently in Snowglobe, dealing with 12-hour survival challenge and a giant penguin-herder:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143615.msg5785146#msg5785146
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143615.msg5759796#msg5759796 (several posts on this page)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143615.msg5752870#msg5752870
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143615.msg5752857#msg5752857
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143615.msg5748303#msg5748303
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143615.msg5748303#msg5748303

Loners: Zanzetkuken (gone off to explore the OW east of the dungeon.), Rolepgeek, Kj1225

Mechanics of This Game

We keep track of stuff in a simple google doc, link is at bottom.

Spawn Room:
New/Respawning players wind up here, coming out of one of the pods. It is a circular room made of stone, with a circular platform in the center holding some unidentifiable tech-dias. This platform is connected to a series of semi-circular platforms (which hold the pods) surrounding it and the single exit door, all suspended over the ankle-deep water on the floor of the room.

This room can also teleport players to any room currently containing at least one other player, allowing new/respawned people to easily catch up with the others. When traveling this way, you arrive in a burst of light with a loud bang, in the nearest safe area to that group.

Dungeon Structure:
If a room hasn't been entered before, then the player who enters the room provides a description of the room, and a threat or two within it.  Each room needs to have at least two doors within it (one you came in from and a Mystery Room), and at least one threat within it. In other words, the content of a room depends on who first opens it.

There is a large "Overworld" room, a 4km dome with a town in the center and many connections within. While in this chamber, fast-travel is possible to certain parts of it (provided you visited them before) via a holographic display from the wrist device.

Most rooms cannot be walked out of until "solved." i.e. More people can come in, but none of them can leave until they beat the room (or they die and respawn.)

Doc for room ideas, if you've got one but you don't want to run it or you want to open a door but don't have an idea.

Map

Class selection:
To select your class, you walk to a Dias in the center of the starting room, and a device that looks like this held on by the restraints of these attaches to your character's non-dominant arm.

After this, your character gets a recommended class based on the weapon they spawn in with, and a single ability related to that class.  Each time your character levels up (every 5 rooms), you get a selection between two abilities, a passive (always on) or an active (needs to be activated).  Please keep in mind your level when giving your character abilities.

It's a fairly freeform class system, so the definition of your class and the what abilities are related to it are pretty much up to you.

Respawn System:
The system is Permadeath-Respawn, wherein your character respawns, but your appearance changes by at least some degree.  Under this system, there are only two requirements.  One, you have to remain the race you were when you died.  Not necessarily human, because players might wind up being transformed into another race at some point. Two, you cannot have an appearance you have used before.  It has to be new, at least to you.

Combat System:
As this is fairly open RP, combat is realistic. Stab in gut = your guts are punctured, etc.

Sign-up Sheet
You will use this at initial sign-up, and post a new one if you have to respawn.

Name: (Your forum username)
Appearance: (Your gender, an age class (ie. mid-twenties, early forties, etc), and one or two features. Approx. height and weight would also be good, though it's understandable if you don't want to get into that much detail. (Note: It only has to be your actual appearance and clothing if you want to use it.  You can look however you wish.)
Inventory: (Clothing you currently have and one weapon (with ammo, if neccessary).  As above, the clothing does not have to be your actual clothing if you don't want it to be.  It is preferred that the weapon is something that you actually have, though)

Characters, Inventory, and Statistics kept track of here

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:53:31 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

[[Do players from the previous thread retain their old characters and gear?]]
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

((Dammit, I don't remember any of my abilities from the original. Or EXP level, for that matter.
I'll make some stuff up; sheet's in the Google Doc.))
Black lives matter.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

Spoiler: IN (click to show/hide)
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Teenagers UNITE))
Black lives matter.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile

Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Those of us who went to that town are still there, I assume about to meet that one NPC Zanz said we would. New players would be in the spawn room, people that dropped out and are rejoining now are either lost in the dungeon somewhere or got killed and respawned.))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Also In (click to show/hide)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile

I'm with stupid |
                      v

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I like your choice of weapon, but seems like it might run out fast. Fortunately, this being a dungeon, there's bound to be loot...)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

((...I assume about to meet that one NPC Zanz said we would.))

(That's just for my character's personal quest line.  It would be more likely that the group would scatter to look around and meet up later, permitting their own to show up.

Anyway, I'm going to be using the character I already had.)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Alright then, if people are ready, we can start. Bear in mind we have 1 group in a town, 1 group of new people in the spawn room, and returning people who dropped out lost somewhere in the dungeon. Or, if they want to roll new characters, respawning in with the new people. So, two scenes.)

With a hissing sound, translucent hatches opened on the pods and a small group of people found themselves in a strange room, surrounded by strange, yet somehow familiar people...

Meanwhile, at the town in the center of the dome, those who had been there for a few hours longer finally found their way to the middle of town. Seeing how many things there were to explore, they decided to split up and meet back in the square in about an hour.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Starting Room
Fniff falls out of the pod and lands flat on his face on the cold hard ground. He screams out a curse, then immediately pushes himself up, looking around like a frightened beaver.

"What was that!?" he yells, on the edge of crying. "Who are you?! Or is that y'all? What is this!?"

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SB looks for Shotgun Lady, clutching flowers and chocolate hangs around the shops.
Black lives matter.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

HugoLuman didn't like to split up when he went places with groups, as meeting up again tended to be tricky (and the lack of cell phones certainly wasn't helping). Mainly it was his own problems with losing track of time. However, unlike his usual experience, they'd actually arranged a time and place to meet up later, so he was somewhat less nervous. He hung around the shops with SB for a few minutes, somewhat worried about getting lost if he wandered off on his own, but after a few passes he noticed a sign that said "Magical Physician & Help" and decided to check it out.

It was a very small shop, like the others, though this one looked more like an office. A large desk, covered in various objects, sat about 5 feet from the left wall, and bookshelves, also covered with various objects (including a few books!) covered the other 3 walls, aside from a gap for the door. A man with broken glasses and a short, grey beard leaned against the desk, looking up when the door-bell rang. "Um, hello?" HugoLuman said. "Do you help with magic problems?"

"Yes, although it depends on what kind of problem you have."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 427