Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Am I the only one who regularly runs into this problem?  (Read 4106 times)

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one who regularly runs into this problem?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 04:39:35 am »

This could be solved by making a setting for burrows that meant "everywhere except this burrow" - right now, the way I do that is by selecting the whole map from top to bottom edge to edge and then deselecting the specific area, but that runs into problems when I want multiple things to be avoided by certain combinations of dwarves, when I could do that with inclusive burrows by adding dwarves to both.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 06:32:07 am »

If the highest pathing cost is set to a value where walking on every other tile on that level (not "any", "every" as in "all of them, one after the other") is cheaper, I would expect dwarves to avoid those tiles.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:19 am »

The pathing algorithm would still calculate those costs, and if there was no other way to get to a destination, it would still path through those tiles. I think it'd be more reasonable to use some kind of tile "feature flag" to set it as forbidden. Pathing already properly disregards open air, locked doors, walls etc., all without assigning fake-infinite pathing costs to them. Pathing costs are not designed to govern whether, only how dwarfs go somewhere. To give better control over the "whether", other mechanisms would be a better fit.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 09:07:58 am »

I think the inability to restrict dwarves from going certain places is probably intentional. We are not in direct control of our dwarves. We give them orders, but they decide how to carry them out.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 11:30:09 am »

I think the inability to restrict dwarves from going certain places is probably intentional. We are not in direct control of our dwarves. We give them orders, but they decide how to carry them out.
You can restrict dwarves from going certain places - it's just clunky and slow.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 02:34:35 pm »

This could be solved by making a setting for burrows that meant "everywhere except this burrow"

No it couldn't because burrows don't work like that. Burrows only restrict which jobs a dwarf may take, not where a dwarf may move. If his chosen path to an allowed job goes through unburrowed tiles your dwarf will happily march right out of his burrow (see example upthread).
Pages: 1 2 [3]