Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer not draining into level below  (Read 651 times)

shaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifer not draining into level below
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:34:02 am »

I'm trying to pierce an aquifer for the first time, using the double-slit method, and I'm not seeing a layer drain into the layer below it.

The topmost layer that I drained worked fine -- I pumped out the slits, dug the stairs below the now-dry lower slit, and then the top layer drained and I was able to wall it in. Repeating the procedure for the next layer, though, I'm not seeing the now-uppermost layer drain.

I have a two Z-levels of up/down stairs atop each other, and both are staying at 7/7. I can pump out the top one again, but I don't think that'll be enough to let me wall it out, and I didn't have to do that for the previous layer. My understanding is that if I have 2 stories of stairs atop each other (both in aquifer layers), the upper one should drain out into the lower one leaving me a workable 1/7 or so on the upper area. Is that not the case?

I'm running 40.11 out of the r3 starter pack, FWIW.

I'm now seeing the same thing on another embark in the same world, except now even the top level isn't draining into the second. Have I maybe hit a bug? I've never done anything with aquifers before...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer not draining into level below
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:43:12 am »

If the aquifer isnt draining than the bottom level isnt an aquifer.  Congrats, you pierced it.  Its just now you have a problem with water pooling below.  Its a flood now, just without the fort.

You should be able to keep pumping the water out of the upper level and smooth the sides.  With the sides smoothed you should stop the flow.  I suppose you could Bucket brigade out the bottom level, or widen the puncture enough to fit a pump . . .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:44:59 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

shaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:54:38 am »

Hmm, I bet what happened is that I didn't check the dampness of the underlying tile fast enough, so it got made damp when the new space filled and I took that to mean that I had another layer to go.

Can you smooth sand/soil? I'll try that, thanks!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:33 am »

Hmm, I bet what happened is that I didn't check the dampness of the underlying tile fast enough, so it got made damp when the new space filled and I took that to mean that I had another layer to go.
If there is even 1/7 water on a tile, the tiles around it will be 'damp'.

Can you smooth sand/soil? I'll try that, thanks!
Gods help you in soil layers.  You cannot smooth them.  You will have to wall them off or cork them.  Walling them off works like smoothing, but will suspend instead.  When you get that message, you have to go back to them and unsuspend them so they complete, repeatedly.  As long as the dwarf brings the block to the wall location he will get some work done on it, so eventually they will complete it.

Keep pumping and pray.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 01:20:59 pm »

Use blocks, not stones or logs. They are much faster to build with, so you'll have fewer suspensions.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.