Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Battleship Commander  (Read 43038 times)

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship Commander
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:59 am »

Here is a screenshot of my attempt yesterday

It was when the shield was activated, it went down immediately, damaging only a bit the shield modules but what's weird is that my ship didn't explode and had what's seem to be like 0,00000000001 structure points left.

In the same idea, on 2014_12_8 I had this

I was supposed to have 0 power used, for some reason I had like 0,0000001 and I think that going red alert from black again fixed it, it doesn't matter but it was weird.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »

In both cases the problem is floating point numbers imprecision. Fixed

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2015, 10:02:21 am »

I had again the bug with enemy circling around me, and this time all I did was warping to a mule, when I was at 50 g I stopped and waited for it, and probably that for some reason it didn't aimed exactly at me, thus it was stuck in a warp circle.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »

the time multiplier was 125x?

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2015, 06:58:45 pm »

no, I'm pretty sure it was 1x

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2015, 11:40:12 am »

So, the new version:
- It's needed to have by default thrusters adjusting to the center of gravity in order to go forward if gyroscope running at 100% isn't enough to fix it, so if it's too much on the left the left thruster run at 100% and the right one like at 90%. If the center of gravity is too high or low like I saw now thrusters can't do anything except both running lower but frankly, the speeder being rather flat it sounds like the engineers who built that made a major misconception for such a thing to be possible.
- A way to visually see it could help, more in refit window, showing also the ideal position one should try to reach (any point on a line I think), that wouldn't even use the gyroscope to move forward. Is/should the gyroscope more effective when placed somewhere or somewhere else ? Maybe then a center of gravity close to the rear or front of the ship should change something too.
- Whatever I adjust thrusters to it shows 99.6 %
- Ram command, and probably other ones, don't adjust thrusters speed, thus fails.
- Even with a powerful enough gyroscope, accelerate csr doesn't exactly stop rotation.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »

(any point on a line I think)
If you are motivated you can even show a cylinder, that means that when the center of gravity is inside, the ship is able to move forward with full thrusters, just using plus or less the gyroscope.
Does fuel/ammo amount left change the center of gravity ? Does it already affect acceleration (I'm pretty sure it does but I ask just in case) ?

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2015, 01:18:28 pm »

- It's needed to have by default thrusters adjusting to the center of gravity in order to go forward if gyroscope running at 100% isn't enough to fix it, so if it's too much on the left the left thruster run at 100% and the right one like at 90%. If the center of gravity is too high or low like I saw now thrusters can't do anything except both running lower but frankly, the speeder being rather flat it sounds like the engineers who built that made a major misconception for such a thing to be possible.
The engineers did not cared about center of mass, but it was not their fault, the physics itself changed at some point and COM started to matter. But the speeder ended up well balanced anyway. Components and turret placement can unbalance it.

Is/should the gyroscope more effective when placed somewhere or somewhere else ?
Gyroscopes are unaffected by position

Whatever I adjust thrusters to it shows 99.6 %
That value is the fuel inside the engine

- Ram command, and probably other ones, don't adjust thrusters speed, thus fails.
The AI is not aware of imbalances too big for gyroscopes.

- Even with a powerful enough gyroscope, accelerate csr doesn't exactly stop rotation.
CSR (continuous stop rotation) is reactive, when it see angular speed it will correct it, but don't preemptively compensates angular acceleration. Over time ship direction will drift. The command "Maintain Orientation" does not drift.

Does fuel/ammo amount left change the center of gravity
Everything affect mass,COM and MOI (moment of inertia)

We are talking about this version http://battleshipcommander.blogspot.it/p/experimental.html

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2015, 05:07:11 am »

I like the new ship, it sounds intended to be a mix of speeder and gladiator, being nearly as fast as speeder but still with s4 slots, it sounds like the best ship.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2015, 05:46:41 am »

Can you give a more accurate list of drawbacks of oversizing ? I saw "Less ammo, and for gauss too much power required. If turret barrel is too short also reduced muzzle velocity.", gauss requires more power are they impossible to use at all ? Does it only affect gauss (and railguns, which must need an insane amount of power then) ? What is "muzzle velocity" and what means weapons showing "!short barrel" ? In the end, lasers are unaffected ?

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2015, 11:40:24 am »

Can you give a more accurate list of drawbacks of oversizing ? I saw "Less ammo, and for gauss too much power required. If turret barrel is too short also reduced muzzle velocity.", gauss requires more power are they impossible to use at all ?
They are not impossible to use but if they are too big the ship powerplants and batteries cannot fire them at full fire rate. And they need capacitors so big that use a large portion of the ship slot space available.

What is "muzzle velocity" and what means weapons showing "!short barrel"
muzzle velocity is the projectile speed when it exit the barrel.  "!short barrel" means that the turret barrel is too short and the muzzle velocity will be reduced.

In the end, lasers are unaffected ?
Lasers requires less energy than gauss and usually power is not a problem.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:50:51 am by mauridadde »

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2015, 07:25:47 pm »

What are liquid pumps ?

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2015, 04:09:32 am »

Previously fuel was instantly moved from damaged tank to undamaged tank, now you need a liquid pump

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2015, 02:50:07 pm »

It could be great if we could divide the screen in 2 or something, to observe the enemy while still seeing Going merry.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »

I just noticed that exposing a larger side of the ship to the sun heats it more. I'm impressed you coded such a thing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18