Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Battleship Commander  (Read 43031 times)

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship Commander
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2014, 09:36:20 am »

- Do PD missiles do anything against shields ?
Yes, they do kinetic damages.

- Game crashed again, I wanted to use only batteries without powerplant, instant 0% battery left. Wanted to warp using only the powerplant then, "-1" everywhere and game crash.
I can't reproduce this bug. Do you have a sequence of steps that i can follow from game start?

- I missed with all my missiles an immobile gladiator that was like 120km away. I wouldn't have missed it if there was an adapted strategy for this case: not using all fuel right away, keeping some to adjust trajectory from time to time.
They already use this strategy to try to conserve fuel but after a test i discovered there are some problems that make the missile always miss the target by a few meters.

- More thickness of lithium = less heat ?
?

- It didn't happen yet but I guess it could, if I launch missiles with autofire on a fleeing mule it's likely they will hit the thrusters instead of the powerplants, they won't try to avoid will they ?
They don't try to avoid nothing, not even friendly ships

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2014, 11:18:41 am »

- I missed with all my missiles an immobile gladiator that was like 120km away. I wouldn't have missed it if there was an adapted strategy for this case: not using all fuel right away, keeping some to adjust trajectory from time to time.
They already use this strategy to try to conserve fuel but after a test i discovered there are some problems that make the missile always miss the target by a few meters.
After some tuning, range versus an immobile target is now more than 160km

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2014, 11:26:35 am »

- Game crashed again, I wanted to use only batteries without powerplant, instant 0% battery left. Wanted to warp using only the powerplant then, "-1" everywhere and game crash.
I can't reproduce this bug. Do you have a sequence of steps that i can follow from game start?
It seems quite random, maybe related to when I pause and enable/disable things but nothing special otherwise.

?
I'm talking about changing the hull from aluminium to lithium, when I read the description it seems like it's bad as armor but improve heat dispersion: does it work on the whole ship hull and is it better to have 1 or 15mm of thickness ?

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2014, 11:30:03 am »

For the bug, maybe it's related to something I saw in 2 games made in C#, which had problems with "." and "," because of "culture" because the game was basically made for USA while I use french regional settings.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2014, 12:02:27 pm »

It seems quite random, maybe related to when I pause and enable/disable things but nothing special otherwise.
I think i just found the bug. With no working batteries a variable was not initialized and could have caused many random problems. In my case it was causing the powerplant to use huge amounts of fuel and generate huge amounts of heat.

?
I'm talking about changing the hull from aluminium to lithium, when I read the description it seems like it's bad as armor but improve heat dispersion: does it work on the whole ship hull and is it better to have 1 or 15mm of thickness ?
The advantages of lithium are low vapor pressure and high specific heat. Low vapor pressure have a meaning only when in liquid state inside radiators. High specific heat mean that it can store more heat. In other words it is required more energy to increase the temperature, but also to decrease it. Respect to aluminium has 50% more emissivity so it can radiate more heat from hull directly but is a small quantity compared to the heat dissipated by radiators.
Apart from these small advantages is awful when used as armor, against anything: kinetic, explosion, laser.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2014, 04:25:21 pm »

will we be able to layer sandwiches of armor?

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2014, 06:03:46 am »

Probably, but not soon.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2014, 11:33:16 am »

Probably because of mass or something I warped like 350km from a t11. After a few seconds it started to shoot at me while I was still not moving but the fun thing is that the bullets disappear a few kilometers before it reaches me, but anyway I have more than the time to avoid them.

And a few seconds later I though I finally disabled its shield with my lasers (most are EUV but I took an EIR for that purpose) while in fact the whole ship was disabled, maybe it used all its lh2, including what he should save to combine with lox for powerplants, and used all energy in batterys to shoot with its gauss. Quite weird that it shoots with gauss while it doesn't with lasers.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:08 am »

Probably because of mass or something I warped like 350km from a t11.
Strange, warp distance is limited to 100Km.

but the fun thing is that the bullets disappear a few kilometers before it reaches me
Bullets live for about a minute.

Quite weird that it shoots with gauss while it doesn't with lasers.
Probably he did not have enough power to shoot all weapons.

Here there is the latest version with bugfixes and better AI download 08/12/14 version

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2014, 11:59:23 am »

I'm trying to destroy the pirate station, I warped from below it to avoid most of its weapons:
- When I'm just 100k away from the pirate station it uses only lasers. Maybe it's for the best though, I could avoid bullets and destroy missiles on time and it would be annoying to always do that.
- PD2 and 8 cannons seem impossible to damage, at least with euv lasers that go through them.
- Some pd missiles who has become useless because the missile they aimed was destroyed by bullet aimed my ship, is it normal ? Sounds like the best they can do now except waiting for another missile.

Later do you plan to allow missiles behavior that attempt to avoid bullets or even pd missiles ? And even lasers with a small shield why not, this one is actually easier to do.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »

- When I'm just 100k away from the pirate station it uses only lasers. Maybe it's for the best though, I could avoid bullets and destroy missiles on time and it would be annoying to always do that.
The AI has become smarter, now don't shoots missiles unless he thinks he can overcome point-defenses, or is about to die. I also changed the way chance to hit are calculated for cannons.
And in sandbox ships flee if they think you are too powerful.

Some pd missiles who has become useless because the missile they aimed was destroyed by bullet aimed my ship, is it normal ?
Yes, they immediatly search another target.

Later do you plan to allow missiles behavior that attempt to avoid bullets or even pd missiles ?
Avoiding bullet is not necessary (for now) as cannons already have troubles hitting missiles.
I don't know if they can avoid PD missiles even if they try because PDM are more agile. Anyway i will test this in future.

And even lasers with a small shield why not, this one is actually easier to do.
Yes this is very easy to do, i will try this.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2014, 03:32:04 pm »

I don't know if they can avoid PD missiles even if they try because PDM are more agile.
The way I see it is both missiles aiming for each other at full speed and at last moment the missile use all his thrust at 90°, now if the pd missile start turning as soon as the missile turn I guess the pd missile will always hit.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »

I don't know if they can avoid PD missiles even if they try because PDM are more agile.
The way I see it is both missiles aiming for each other at full speed and at last moment the missile use all his thrust at 90°, now if the pd missile start turning as soon as the missile turn I guess the pd missile will always hit.
This is what i was thinking. If the PDM has more linear acceleration and more rotatational acceleration, once it is in an intercept course he can just mimic every movement of the missile and hits for sure.

PD2 and 8 cannons seem impossible to damage, at least with euv lasers that go through them.
Just tested, the problem are the "old style" turrets. The center of the cannon (the point where the laser aims) is outside the turret hull and the collision engine first checks the hull and don't find any collision.

rex4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2014, 07:15:12 am »

With space yard, only LOX and H2O are shown in stat window, both being useless for now.

Space yard going back and forth from earth to mars is slow mainly because of the 180° it has to do, so I though about the idea of allowing to change the direction of a warp module, so 1 goes one way and the other one 180°, what do you think ?

With time I have now 6 speeders stuck close to the sun. 1 or 2 may be interesting because while going there probably instantly reward money it can be hazardous because of the sun, but 6 seems quite a lot.

Trading with a damaged container can lead to "there is too much LOX" which simply stuck you to this screen if you don't have enough money to repair or force you to sell while it wasn't a problem before the trade.

mauridadde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »

With space yard, only LOX and H2O are shown in stat window, both being useless for now.
?

Space yard going back and forth from earth to mars is slow mainly because of the 180° it has to do, so I though about the idea of allowing to change the direction of a warp module, so 1 goes one way and the other one 180°, what do you think ?
I am thinking about allowing instantaneous changes of direction while in warp, it would be easier for the AI and simpler to implement fleets. Still deciding what to do.
In the meantime you can manually start warp so it can rotate quickly.

Trading with a damaged container can lead to "there is too much LOX" which simply stuck you to this screen if you don't have enough money to repair or force you to sell while it wasn't a problem before the trade.
Redoing fuel tanks management is the next big thing in my todo list.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18