Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Merchants become horrified, then their wagon "poofs" and they leave?  (Read 2586 times)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile

Hallo Menschen! I love you all, first off.

Secondly, I have quite a conundrum for you. I had a siege of about 70 goblins and 10 trolls, and thankfully we rid the land of their ilk. For now at least. But the problem is that there are so many corpses and bits of corpses laying about. Normally, not a problem, as in previous versions, merchants just come into my fortress no problem. They just step over the goblin chunks. Not this time. This time, the merchant freaks out, his wagon "poofs" out of existence, spills his belongings on the ground in one neat pile, and then the rest of the merchants and guards say "Screw this, let's get the hell out of here." What's weird, is that I didn't see any bodies on his side of the map. There was a pool of blood in that area from where we battled the goblins and trolls, but no corpses or body parts. Not even in the trees (I checked).

Now, as funny as this once was, it's starting to piss me off. I love free things, I do, I do, but I would like to trade some of my baubles and other crafts. Do any of you fine people know the solution to my conundrum? I'll give you +10 internets if you do.

On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants become horrified, then their wagon "poofs" and they leave?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:53:20 pm »

Are there any fortifications that displaced arms might have gotten lodged in? Or perhaps an otherwise inaccessible "building" like a statue or grate? IIRC projectiles like bolts, thrown chairs and severed limbs completely ignore stuff like that while in motion and will phrase through otherwise solid objects as if through air- which means they can also phase through and get stuck inside upon landing.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »

This is wagon pullers who are afraid and deconstructing wagons, not the merchants themselves. As for invisible bodies, try stocks menu. You can first use area hide option in the vicinity of merchants and then check the stocks for corpses to identify (don't forget to unhide the area later). I often had corpses invisible for some reason, especially if in river or a muddy pool. After removing the corpses or body parts you should be fine (can be challenging if it's underwater).

Blood SHOULDN'T horrify merchants, but this is Dwarf Fortress, so who knows. In my case I have a lots of blood and merchants are cool about it.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:20:43 am »

Secondly, I have quite a conundrum for you. I had a siege of about 70 goblins and 10 trolls, and thankfully we rid the land of their ilk. For now at least. But the problem is that there are so many corpses and bits of corpses laying about. Normally, not a problem, as in previous versions, merchants just come into my fortress no problem. They just step over the goblin chunks. Not this time. This time, the merchant freaks out, his wagon "poofs" out of existence, spills his belongings on the ground in one neat pile, and then the rest of the merchants and guards say "Screw this, let's get the hell out of here." What's weird, is that I didn't see any bodies on his side of the map. There was a pool of blood in that area from where we battled the goblins and trolls, but no corpses or body parts. Not even in the trees (I checked).

Now, as funny as this once was, it's starting to piss me off. I love free things, I do, I do, but I would like to trade some of my baubles and other crafts. Do any of you fine people know the solution to my conundrum? I'll give you +10 internets if you do.

I dunno about solutions, (maybe wash away the blood?), but I had merchants turn tail and run for it, wagons and all, when they saw a little bit of blood on the floors from a few goblins. Admittedly, I was going to flush the caravan straight into a volcano, so it saved their lives, but still.. A bit of blood on the walls should not scare off the greedy bastards with guards, like that. My execution chamber is quite humane and quick in that regard.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:30 am »

I dunno about solutions, (maybe wash away the blood?), but I had merchants turn tail and run for it, wagons and all, when they saw a little bit of blood on the floors from a few goblins. Admittedly, I was going to flush the caravan straight into a volcano, so it saved their lives, but still.. A bit of blood on the walls should not scare off the greedy bastards with guards, like that. My execution chamber is quite humane and quick in that regard.

Would wash it away with pumps, but I don't have enough water for that. It's a HUGE area. My dwarves chased these goblins down from the entrance on the right side of the map to the far left side, and a bit everywhere else in-between. It was glorious. Then a troll lasher snuck by and got in my fortress, and my Miner Sazir held him off long enough for the hammerer to get there.

He suffered a compound fracture in his right arm and stuff, but is relaxing in a traction bench quite nicely now. He shall be rewarded.
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:07:37 am »

Blood is so buggy you need dfhack to remove it. I doubt there will be any success with pumps. "Washing" is good if you need more blood and other contaminants.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

Blood is so buggy you need dfhack to remove it. I doubt there will be any success with pumps. "Washing" is good if you need more blood and other contaminants.

Good point. I totally forgot about the "clean" command. I'll need to download DF Hack after all...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:53:48 am »

I have had dwarves become horrified at seeing a few teeth littering the ground, but not blood. It might be that I just don't have tons of blood all over the place or maybe only a small amount of discipline is needed to keep them from fleeing from blood...

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:37:30 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7185

Ah yes Mantis! I totally forgot about it too.

Still, I was just wanting to see if anyone had a solution atm.

But thank you all for replying so fast! Y'all make me happy.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:30:19 pm »

Hmm... maybe it depends whose blood it is, or what species of creature it belonged to?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »

Hmm... maybe it depends whose blood it is, or what species of creature it belonged to?

Who knows. It was goblin/troll blood. The Humans aren't at war with them currently, so maybe that scared them? Otherwise an enemies blood might bring joy!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:29 pm »

Maybe it can be paved over? 

Perhaps with a dirt road (for fast construction) or a bridge (for smashing)?  Should be easier than pumping, but I've not tried to clean contaminants this way so I'm not certain it will work.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

They can tell what the blood came from by the smell

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 11:26:08 pm »

They can tell what the blood came from by the smell

I imagine dwarves have good noses.
Pages: [1] 2