Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagon only entrance  (Read 846 times)

dariopnc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Wagon only entrance
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:42:41 am »

Hi, first topic on here, hope not to be out of place

After building my fortress I discovered traps block the wagon path, so I found on the wiki a couple wagon-only entrances.

I started building the second one:
Code: [Select]
Z = -1 Z = 0
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ + + + ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▓ ▓ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▓
▓ + + + ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
but my dwarves fell in a quite unpleasant situation: they built the first ramp on the left and went down, but after mining the -1 lvl, the ramp somehow disappeared (I find it strange because only the center one doesn't have a supporting wall) and they were locked in!

Luckily mining provided me a stone which I was able to use to build the left ramp and have them get out of there. Now I found myself in the following situation and I don't know how to get things straight again

Z = -1 Z = 0 . = open space
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ + + + ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ ▲ + + ▓ ▓ ▼ . . ▓
▓ + + + ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ + + + ▓

If I try to build a ramp on the bottom level the game says it could not path to a building material (I got tons of rocks laying everywhere and accessible from level 0)
Now I'm even not sure about how the original setup is supposed to work: I suppose that after building, it would have looked like this

Z = -1 Z = 0 . = open space
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ + + + ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ ▲ + ▲ ▓ ▓ ▼ . ▼ ▓
▓ + + + ▓ ▓ + + + ▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ ▓ + + + ▓

and I don't get why it should stop regular walking creatures

any help is really appreciated

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wagon only entrance
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:27:21 pm »

For a ramp to be useful, it must be adjacent to a solid wall with open space above it. By digging out the flanks on Z-1, you remove the walls that would allow creatures to walk north or south from the ramps. In order to access the lower area to build that missing ramp piece, you'll need to dig an access off to one side. Then you can construct a wall to block it off again when you're done.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »

Dig into the lower chamber, place the constructed ramps (which will only work for wagons) then build a wall to seal the passage you used to get there, or just leave it open since only the wagon can get to that door anyways. The whole point is that without a supporting wall the ramps aren't pointing in any direction (imagine them as a stalagmite of sorts) but wagons sort of cheat with pathing and won't realize that that's the case.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:44:24 pm by Slogo »

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

As a note, the new .40 pathing might allow invaders to simply jump the one-tile space or climb the side walls.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:35:28 am »

If you make a separated trade depot in its own cave, and then have it connect to your fort via an upwards staircase that leads to a tunnel to your fort you can shut out all BDs.  Since nothing can be destroyed from below the BDs would be unable to enter, and only mischievous creatures could undermine you.  Which iirc by default is only the rare gremlins from below and swamp Grimelings from above.

A sentinel posted both in the tunnel and in the Depot area would spot and shut out all intruders.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!