Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Milking GCS?  (Read 2099 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Milking GCS?
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:39:56 pm »

Can GCS be milked or is it still usable in silk factory by other means?
I got one, let it out behind fortifications, but the bastard isn't spitting any silk. :/

I used to have massive silk industries in previous versions of the game a few years ago.
Though, I think I pitted the bastard then and it was mad as hell. Started spitting right away.
This one was just levered out of cage. No dwarven contact thus far.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:44:43 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

ancient_vampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Milking GCS?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:37 pm »

in my silkfarm only gobbos start the silk spamming. She refused to shoot on hunting dogs, cats, trolls and peafowls.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 05:11:20 pm »

There have been a few threads about the changes to silk farming in 40.xx lately.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »

Would a Tame GCS and a Wild GCS start a web-fight with each other?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:56:41 pm »

Would a Tame GCS and a Wild GCS start a web-fight with each other?

That would be awesome! Now to find me another GCS!

On the original topic, Jei, I've had the same problems with making a silk farm work...

If you're using a wild GCS (like me), I've found that only military dwarves reliably force the GCS to shoot webs. A chained war dog didn't work, neither did he work pastured. Not even a regular dwarf, enticed close with a "pull lever/r" task would make the bastard shoot.

What I do is keep the GCS behind a line of fortifications, and a raising bridge, with a way to recapture. When the bridge is lowered, station military dwarf nearby. GCS shoots him and fills the room with webs. Raise bridge, and get rid of military, then the weavers will come and grab all the webs.

It requires a bit of micromanagement, but in the end it's definitely worth the effort. Since I got this sorted out, I've been making masterwork silk clothing constantly
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:26:33 am »

It requires a bit of micromanagement, but in the end it's definitely worth the effort. Since I got this sorted out, I've been making masterwork silk clothing constantly
Yeah, it's like winning the lottery, endless-money-wise. Which is why it's always one of my fortress' goals.

Also, don't forget you should be able to use it to capture and cage FBs too, with GCS-web-covered cage traps.
(Or is it still possible?) At least last time I played, webbed cage traps drew dwarves into them, even from farther
away, and if GCS was spitting, a couple times through the fortifications too.

A lot of micromanagement to get FBs into those traps though.

And beware of crossbowmen. Last time, one casually put an end to my GCS with a single shot.

I don't want my own to make the GCS their enemy any more, if I can avoid it somehow. Too many well trained crossbowmen,
and losing an endless-money-making-GCS kind of hurt last time, after getting used to living in endless luxury... especially
since this is a mineral poor galena-only territory.

Stationing an unarmed military dwarf behind fortifications in sight of the GCS seems to do the trick without much trouble.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:22:28 am by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »

If you somehow manage to cage a web-spewing clown: Clown Webs are actually fireproof.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »

sadly, clown silk get the "vermin silk" unit price per bolt of cloth. not "worth" very much.

you would think that silk of such unusual character would fetch a high price for its properties and exotic nature, but no.

GCS is still where the money is, especially when you have moody clothiers.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 01:54:04 pm »

If you somehow manage to cage a web-spewing clown: Clown Webs are actually fireproof.

yay for magma bathing suits.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »

I wish. My spider queen took an arrow in the knee and I had to retire her for now, to think of better factory structures.
But great idea, thanks.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:08 am »

Making a GCS silk farm is pretty awesome but why would you do it in 40.xx? There are so many vermin cave spiders in the caverns, the whole cavern will be filled to the brim with webs you will have enough to last for centuries.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:07:13 am »

It seems that creatures with interactions using the 'attack' hint only use them when they are in 'lethal' or 'no quarter' combat.  My guess is that only military dwarves will trigger 'lethal' combat by default.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:23:20 pm »

Making a GCS silk farm is pretty awesome but why would you do it in 40.xx? There are so many vermin cave spiders in the caverns, the whole cavern will be filled to the brim with webs you will have enough to last for centuries.

GCS silk is many times more valuable!

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 08:14:49 pm »

Yeah I suppose but the value has been reduced in 40.xx so you can just encrust the piece of clothing with a gem and end up with the same value.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 09:16:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure GCS silk is just as valuable as it was in prior generations, and you can use that gem to encrust the GCS silk item instead and get that much more value out of it.

Some people like to set up extravagant and potentially dangerous farms in order to get the shiny stuff. It's ok. Not everyone has to play the same way.
Pages: [1] 2