Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are Mantises Good War Animals?  (Read 2100 times)

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are Mantises Good War Animals?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 11:16:21 am »

Does anybody know of a simple mod that adds sensible training tags to creatures?

I could probably be bothered to whip one up when I transition to the new version, but is there one already?
I just added trainable to the giant variation tag.  That way all giant animals are war and hunting trainable.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:50 am »

But seriously, mod them to be [TRAINABLE] and have a longer lifespan (or just a high birth rate) and your enemies are in for some serious b-movie horror.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 10:35:58 am »

How large should the clutches be? 50-70 sound good? And should they live for maybe... Twenty or so years?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 10:36:40 am »

How large should the clutches be? 50-70 sound good? And should they live for maybe... Twenty or so years?
But then they wouldnt be giant praying mantises.  They'd be zerglings.

---

Dear gods, forget I said that.  All of it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:50 am »

If you want to keep it balanced, I'd say large clutches for shorter lifespans or small clutches for larger lifespans. The idea is just to make a population of war animals feasible; you're actually capable of maintaining high enough  numbers with some effort. If they're going to die in droves (from age at least) make high numbers of hatchlings. If not, smaller numbers to prevent them from overrunning the fort's FPS/making all sieges boring forever.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 11:07:37 am »

Very.

Hopefully Toady reads this.
We need more war trainable animals!

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 11:09:06 am »

If you want to keep it balanced, I'd say large clutches for shorter lifespans or small clutches for larger lifespans. The idea is just to make a population of war animals feasible; you're actually capable of maintaining high enough  numbers with some effort. If they're going to die in droves (from age at least) make high numbers of hatchlings. If not, smaller numbers to prevent them from overrunning the fort's FPS/making all sieges boring forever.

Yes, but look at Cave Crocodiles. They have similar clutches and lifespans.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]