Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 79

Author Topic: McFry's Minecraft Server: Vogons Inbound  (Read 104655 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McFry's Minecraft Server: Beginning Of The End
« Reply #585 on: February 24, 2015, 02:25:10 pm »

Resonant Rise Lite, with things we want added is sounds good to me.  FTB Infinity is what I play on my single player world though and is pretty excellent as well.  Personally my big picks for mods would be (obvious ones like AE, IC2, BC) then Thaumcraft, mystcraft (if we think the server can handle extra worlds?) and tinkers construct.  Otherwise I'm not picky.... oh wait and EnderIO
Nom nom nom

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:44 pm »

PTW. Might join in once you guys get the modpack settled :P.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2015, 02:45:54 pm »

Posting to watch. I'll probably join once you reset.

With that said, if you're adding mods and don't already have it, I very highly recommend Iguana Tweaks add-on for TCon. It makes the early game significantly harder to get started on, but it makes Tcon tools a lot more awesome. Also whatever mod it is that adds the gravestones is a must. Losing your stuff because you were a few seconds too slow to run back to where it dropped sucks.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »

My big picks for mods would probably be AE, TE, BC, tinkers construct, then botania and blood magic. Rotarycraft & EnderIO are also pretty cool. That one that did gravestones was nice, and the thing that added the saturation overlay was nifty.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2015, 04:02:05 pm »

Oh and the thaumcraft ad-ons are always nice as well (thaumic tinkerer and the like, pretty sure resonant rise supports having all of them)
Nom nom nom

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2015, 04:11:13 pm »

Yep, that's likely what I'll end up doing anyway, but in this case I can't guarantee that the server will be up by Sunday.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »

Resonant Rise full is incredibly bloated and has an awful huge trees mod which makes EVERY SINGLE TREE huge as shit.

Resonant Rise lite sounds neat, though.

Resonant Rise Lite, with things we want added is sounds good to me.  FTB Infinity is what I play on my single player world though and is pretty excellent as well.  Personally my big picks for mods would be (obvious ones like AE, IC2, BC) then Thaumcraft, mystcraft (if we think the server can handle extra worlds?) and tinkers construct.  Otherwise I'm not picky.... oh wait and EnderIO

Thankfully, mods like Big Trees are easily disabled before modpack installation, I much prefer the ATLauncher's style over FTB, and starting with Lite and working our way up helps cut down on the bloat.

Speaking of bloat, if we were to pick/make a pack, I would highly suggest taking a scalpel to it. I know, I know, kitchen sink packs are meant to have everything and the kitchen sink in them, but do we /really/ need a pack to have Mekanism, Thermal Expansion, EnderIO, and IC2? Each overlapping mod like that we cut down is less weight on the server, or more space for a mod that does something different or interesting.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 24, 2015, 07:11:26 pm »

Eh I kinda like being able to have different solutions to the same problem (BC quarry or Ender-quarry for example).

All in all, from what i've seen of it though I think FTB infinity might be the best pick if we don't want to do a massive custom mod-list.
Nom nom nom

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 24, 2015, 09:32:42 pm »

Pretty sure we don't want a massive custom mod-list. Pretty sure we don't want a massive anything actually, as we need to keep server resources in mind, unless people want to throw money at McFry to help him with costs for a more robust server.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #594 on: February 24, 2015, 09:38:03 pm »

At this rate it'd be easier to make a custom modpack :P
Trust me, it's not :P

One thing I've found with custom modpacks is performance tends to suffer. Another thing is setting configs to not make the world ugly and unify ores so you don't end up with 3-4 types of copper takes a lot of time. I've been making a modpack but I halted it because performance issues... :(

Twi: EnderIO is usually put in for conduits, not the machines, so I think it's treated a bit specially.

How about a modified Ethos modpack? It has a ton of novel mods in it, plus most of the big mods like TC IC2 TiC Enderio TE/TF Buildcraft ae2... the only missing mods is Big Reactors (which might be fun to try handling huge energy demands wtwithout), Ender Storage, and most noticeably Chickenchunks.

DW20 also seems like a good candidate. If we're open to modpack modding, simply adding the mods people want but not in it (witchery, rotarycraft) may work!

Btw the mod that makes gravestones is probably OpenBlocks. I think that one is in all the modpacks.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 25, 2015, 04:22:59 am »

Dammit, we're being nitpicky, nearly obnoxious.  :(

Magma, just use a modpack you want to play with, put it on the server, and I'll see you there Sunday. :)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #596 on: February 25, 2015, 04:34:44 am »

Honestly it's all up to McFry. We are just talking about what we would want, and the final decision is up to him :P

Talking is fun.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 25, 2015, 05:02:08 am »

Heh, I wanted to put my vote in for any mod-pack that includes Chisel. Also, It's likely I will be picking up a new project when the server resets. I've almost finished designing the walls.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 25, 2015, 05:19:14 am »

I don't think there are any mod packs that don't include Chisel these days, not after how amazing it's become for decoration. ZTones is nice too, with some good looking modern/futuristic blocks.

Has anyone looked into Compact Machines? Looks pretty interesting for reducing the size of..well, lots of things.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 25, 2015, 02:12:50 pm »

Yeah when it comes down to it I'll play whatever's on the server :D  (provided my comp can run it, I was on the edge with our last pack) but otherwise should be fun.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 79