Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79

Author Topic: McFry's Minecraft Server: Vogons Inbound  (Read 104658 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: McFry's Minecraft Server: Beginning Of The End
« Reply #570 on: February 22, 2015, 03:55:39 pm »

Yep. A volcano grew on it.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:22 pm »

Do volcanoes just suddenly spring up wherever they want?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 22, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »

No, but when they grow in new chunks, they grow over old chunks, and when you use moving chunkloaders, they'll just grow right next to that because the chunkloaders are right next to ungenerated terrain.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:03 am »

Haven't decided yet. Still available for suggestions.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #574 on: February 23, 2015, 10:06:42 am »

It's strange, there is no link to the mod list.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 23, 2015, 10:28:32 am »

After a ton of scary looking null pointer exceptions, I'm finally in! That's a lot of cool stuff you have there.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 23, 2015, 10:51:43 am »

One magic mod I'd like to see on the server would be Witchery.

But actually, we could just keep TDT. Yes, some recipes are completely retarded, but I kinda get used to it.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2015, 12:10:11 pm »

IMO Infinity is the best option if the server and everyone can handle the stress it puts on your computer. Otherwise, Etho's modpack or DW20 is probably also good. Etho's doesn't have Big Reactors, which is a pretty interesting way to go about things.

Here's a modlist comparison.

Fun facts:
All 4 modpacks (dw20, etho, infinity, dark trilogy) have the mods...
- AE2
- Bibliocraft
- either BoP or ExtraBiomesXL
- Buildcraft
- Carpenter's Blocks, Chisel
- Computercraft
- EnderIO
- Extra utilities
- Forestry
- either Funky Locomotion (3) or Remain In Motion (Dark Trilogy)
- IC2
- Iron Chests
- Journeymap
- Mantle
- Natura
- NEI
- Nuclear Control
- either Project Red or Blue Power, never both
- Thermal Foundation & Expansion
- Railcraft
- Steve's Carts and SFM
- Thaumcraft & tinkerer
- TiC & Mechworks
- Twilight Forest
- Wireless Redstone.

Etho's modpack has the most new/less well known mods, such as Archimedes Ships, Compact Machines, Custom NPCs, Deadly World, Rotarycraft (!), Galacticraft, Hardcore Ender Expansion, Mariculture (of Agrarian Skies fame, basically weaker bees), Mekanism, pistronics, Pneumaticraft, qCraft, spice of life. However, it's lacking a lot of comfort mods like Big Reactors, AOBD2 (which procedurally generatures dusts and fluids for IC2 and TiC), Aroma's backup, morpheus, Opis, BEES, etc. Also, there is no recipe tweaking since MineTweaker is absent.

DW20 also has its share of new mods alongside the familiar faces; it has less than Ethos but more than DT and FTB. It's the only modpack with Factorization. That said, it has basically the same mods as Dark Trilogy; I suspect that the DT modpack maker heavily drew inspiration from DW20. DW20 shares the degree of curation that DT has, with Minetweaked recipes and Dense Ores for fun little lucky strikes. DW20 and DT are both balanced for a relativly longer server life, while Ethos is not. DW20 and Ethos are also the two modpacks with PPneumaticraft and Mystcraft.

Everyone knows what's in DT, but some interesting facts are that it has the most addons--additional pipes, logistics pipes, extra cells, 3 Thaumcraft plugins, and the whole Bee set (magic, extra, and Gendustry).

FTB Infinity actually has a surprisingly few number of mods. I wouldn't recommend it anymore... of all mods to pick, it chooses Springboards. woo! It does have Witchery though, alside with DW20. It also has RFTools and Draconic Evolution, both rising stars in the modding area.

tldr: Ethos has a ton of new mods but the total # of mods is the lowest, and nothing is tweaked/balanced. Also lacks many old faces, making it very not kitchen sinky.
DW20 is DT's less hardcore brother.
DT "balances" stuff by making it harder, but has a solid lineup of mods and also arguably has the most content thanks to its rich addons.
Infinity strives to be something awesome but it's more or less a blend of dt and dw20.

In my opinion, (unless mcfry says that adding mods is too much of a pita) keeping Dark Trilogy with some minor config edits and script changes and some mods might be pretty ok. Candidates for new stuff would be

- rotarycraft and maybe reactorcraft or electricraft
- Witchery
- Archimedes ships!?
- Minechem?
- Mekanism?

Even if you say no to editing the kod list, McFry, these two are serverside only and thus easier to do:
- Add a recipe for laser drills because why not
- Maybe unnerf plastic sheets?

Also, honorable mention to Flaxbeards Steampower. Item  mortar is the best

edit: I personally kinda liked DT's steel progression, where getting your first 8 steel for a pulverizer and an induction smelter was a great achievement. However, I do not agree with plastic sheets needing 3 different metals, capacitors needing half a signalum bar, and IC2 MFEs being shoved into every redstone cell recipe, totally ruining the Leadstone->Hardened->Redstone->Resonant progression they had...
also, the angel ring recipe is genius.

Edit2: Infinity does have Thermal Dynamics! Their itemducts look just like Buildcraft's but function a lot better. However, compared to EnderIO (which sprung up to fill the hiatus between TE3 and Thermal Dynamics) the itemducts are just clunky. Meanwhile, the fluiducts and energy nodes have literally nothing they do better than EnderIO except the infinite energy conduit's capacity. Hmm.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:38:23 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 23, 2015, 01:10:25 pm »

Electricraft I never really understood the point of, but Reactorcraft has that massive fusion reactor in it. That could be a nice sort of long-term goal to power a lot of things with if big reactors is missing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 23, 2015, 01:48:38 pm »

Skyrunner, have you looked into the ATlauncher's mods? I've mentioned before, bur Resonant Rise looks like a good option, especially the way ATLauncher handles 'additional' mods. Going with the 'lite' version of Resonant Rise and selecting what Fry wants to bring in on the side, such as Gendustry and the like. Though one 'downside' I guess is the inclusion of HQM, which might hand out freebies. Barring that, staying with TDT, but editing it to our needs, would probably be the best bet.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:51:41 pm by TwilightWalker »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 23, 2015, 04:43:30 pm »

You might want to take a look at this mod.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2076338-1-7-2-1-7-10-forge-malisisdoors-1-7-10-1-4-3-23
It adds customizable doors.
Better than the doors in Carpenter Blocks (Or whatever it's called.) mod in my opinion.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 23, 2015, 04:53:08 pm »

You might want to take a look at this mod.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2076338-1-7-2-1-7-10-forge-malisisdoors-1-7-10-1-4-3-23
It adds customizable doors.
Better than the doors in Carpenter Blocks (Or whatever it's called.) mod in my opinion.

Oh neat, i saw that in the RR pack, but wasn't sure what it was. Some of those look damn awesome.

Also, for the aesthetic-minded, Ztones.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:55:00 pm by TwilightWalker »

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 23, 2015, 10:19:09 pm »

man, I am not good at building... several hours spend on the castle, and I am JUST finishing the courtyard wall, to be fair I am distracting myself fairly often...

it is a fairly simple pattern, and not that large even.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:37:56 pm by bluejello »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 24, 2015, 03:52:21 am »

If you're wondering why McFry is so against elemental fire, it's because it's the most devious, horrible thing ever put into a Minecraft mod.

It chunkloads itself.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 24, 2015, 10:35:01 am »

Resonant Rise full is incredibly bloated and has an awful huge trees mod which makes EVERY SINGLE TREE huge as shit.

Resonant Rise lite sounds neat, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79