Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Project Underwater: Utopian undeground adventure (Succession/community fort)  (Read 4929 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Underwater: Utopian undeground adventure (Succession/community fort)
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 11:28:04 am »

I’ll sign up for a dwarf and a turn. Please PM me when I’m up; I’ll probably be done with Murderflood turn 1 by that time.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Project Underwater: Utopian undeground adventure (Succession/community fort)
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 11:40:23 am »

We're having quite bit of dorfings going on here, so it may take time. I'm adding everyone to the list.

As for the lab, I desided to do it the hard way. For the magma we go!
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 12:14:53 pm »

We're having quite bit of dorfings going on here, so it may take time. I'm adding everyone to the list.

As for the lab, I desided to do it the hard way. For the magma we go!
For the area where you plan on setting up the new camp, how deep is the ocean?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:18 pm »

But we don't need magma.  We'd end up with the above-ground fort being even deeper and more expansive than the underwater fort, which kind of defeats the purpose of the excursion.  We can reach the ocean floor by hooking pumps up together in a square reverse-pyramid fashion down as deep as we need to go.  Hell, we can rig a power generator to it, too, and automate the whole thing with a shut-off lever.

As the Chief Engineer, I would gladly take command of this project and construct the device that makes life at the bottom of the sea possible.  I've done such mega-projects before, after all.

Also, I never got added to the player list?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:23:24 pm by evictedSaint »

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 12:58:42 pm »

This reminds me of that old show, "Sea-Lab!"
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »

Log entry 4:

This took awhile, but now we have some proper housing! The rooms are yet to be smoothed and engraved, although one belonging to the broker is already completed.

Dr. Blackhat spends most of his time making farm plots and trying to grow something here in the desert. And he also found some rye for us to brew into beer. Great job, I say!

Thanks to ShieldBash's efforts, we've caught some two-humped camels! They're relatively easy to train, so now we have additional cattle.

At last, the migrants! Now we've up to... Wait... 10 dwarves?! How we are supposed to do this? We surely need more workers.

Professor Saintly greeted me shortly after the arrival, stating that he "is willing to contribute his knowledge in the project". I was really glad that such a famous engineer decided to help us out. He also presented me two blueprints, one of which I've already seen - it was a magma derrick project developed by the National Academy geological and natural department, with Saintly as a consultant. This structure was originally meant to be used for lab construction, but the professor claims that it will produse from 3600 to 4500 units of energy while consuming only 1120 - 1400, which means he might come up with something more efficient.

A rather skilled mason named UltraMagna arrived as well. The third migrant was a wrestler, so I put him into ShieldBashes's squad. They now train together.

OOC note: I don't really have any experience with such elaborate megaprojects. Actually, I thought it would look like this:

But we don't need magma.  We'd end up with the above-ground fort being even deeper and more expansive than the underwater fort, which kind of defeats the purpose of the excursion.  We can reach the ocean floor by hooking pumps up together in a square reverse-pyramid fashion down as deep as we need to go.  Hell, we can rig a power generator to it, too, and automate the whole thing with a shut-off lever.

As the Chief Engineer, I would gladly take command of this project and construct the device that make life at the bottom of the sea possible.  I've done such mega-projects before, after all.

The only expancive thing I intended to place outside was the magma elevator (a 6x5 tube rising from the ground like a giant crane.) Everything else was going to be pretty simple, as we don't have much place above.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help with setting this up.

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 09:34:59 pm »

If you're dead-set on the magma-pump, I could set that up if you gave me the save.  I'd end my turn once I have enough pumped out to make a decent-sized lab, though you'll have to tell me how big you want it.

Heck, we don't even need pump stacks for magma.  Two iron mine carts are enough to run a pump track.

Does anyone know if the derailing minecart speed-up glitch is still in effect, or did toady fix that in this release?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:01:18 am by evictedSaint »

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:11 pm »

Posting to follow and also signing up for a dwarf. Anyone will do.

I /would/ sign up for a turn, but I'd probably eff something up and drown everyone.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 12:25:20 pm »

If you're dead-set on the magma-pump, I could set that up if you gave me the save.  I'd end my turn once I have enough pumped out to make a decent-sized lab, though you'll have to tell me how big you want it.

Heck, we don't even need pump stacks for magma.  Two iron mine carts are enough to run a pump track.

Does anyone know if the derailing minecart speed-up glitch is still in effect, or did toady fix that in this release?

I don't mind if you do it your own way, If you know what you are doing. I just did not understand your plan in the first place. Can you provide some pictures, please?

Oh, and if you wish to play... Do you want to start immediately, or I can finish the basics first?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 01:03:08 pm »

If you have an iron minecart and an impulse ramp spiral, it's pretty easy to bring up magma that way. You'll only need one pump down at the magma source to fill the minecart.

Plus speeding minecarts full of magma aimed at the ocean are a potential source of Fun.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 02:21:26 pm »

I don't mind if you do it your own way, If you know what you are doing. I just did not understand your plan in the first place. Can you provide some pictures, please?

Oh, and if you wish to play... Do you want to start immediately, or I can finish the basics first?

It's your fort, dude.  You can hand it over whenever you want.

What I would be doing would be building the basics for the sea lab.  I can play it by ear, or work off your instructions.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 04:14:51 pm »

Good diagram, but it's missing the flaming dwarf corpses and spilled magma leaking back down the impulse tower. I was certain those were required features...

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 02:14:56 pm »

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know I didn't forget about this. I've been rather busy lately, so I wouldn't mind if somebody takes over the fort for a time. Some of you guys had asked about turns, so here's your chance!

I'll post the save tomorrow in case someone wants to run this project.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 03:28:33 pm »

dorf me. make me the miner that's digging out everything that makes your !!SCIENCE!! or science, work.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 06:25:12 pm »

Requesting dorfing.

Name: Digger
Profession: Foreman
Labors: Mining, Masonry, Architecture, Mechanics, Siege Engineering

Digger is an experienced foreman, with many complex construction jobs under his belt. His main qualities are his ability to direct a team of construction workers, while not being afraid to do the dirty work himself. That being said, he has a no-nonsense attitude and a strict adherence to schedule and budget constraints. Time is money, after all. He was sent to Bellspracticed to oversee construction of the sea lab.

Once dwarfed, may I see Digger's personality screen and relationships screen? I am endlessly curious about these things.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4