Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to remove saplings?  (Read 18513 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to remove saplings?
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

They're not old enough to chop down, but they're in my way. How do I get rid of them?

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to remove saplings?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »

I don't think I have found a sapling in my way before. I am pretty sure I have even built roads on them. To answer your question though, I don't think you can.
You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

Yes, everything walks right over them, and you cannot destroy them, short of making that tile a channel, which is just silly and pointless.

So, let it be, but keep an eye on it if its in an important area. As soon as it grows into a tree, then it will block traffic.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »

build a bridge over it, then remove the bridge.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:10:00 pm »

puke will htat work for removing muddy tiles (which have been there for 2+ years)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

nope.  examine a normal muddy floor tile.  it will say "muddy schist" or something like that.  then examine your permanent muddy tile.  it will just say "dirt" or "mud" or something.  its there to stay.

i think there is a utility to hack them back into regular floor or stone or something, im not sure.

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TerminatorII:
<STRONG>puke will htat work for removing muddy tiles (which have been there for 2+ years)</STRONG>

It's been a few months since it was posted, but I think this was discussed as being a known bug.  Permanently muddy tiles happen when you muddy an internal tile and then have something grow on it - a shrub which dies and then goes away or a sapling which you later cut down.

I think it was also noted that you could turn a cave tile permanently into grass if you designated it for engraving prior to its becoming muddied, and then it was engraved after becoming muddied.

I also believe Toady noted these as bugs and put them on the to do list.  I don't see this in the requirements list, so maybe it got forgotten...  I tried searching the post, but the inability to search all forums simultaneously is a huge burden.  Not sure what board it was on, and it was likely in November of last year.

Cheers.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

In the meantime, for those who find those tiles really annoying, there's a util. on the wiki to muddy\unmuddy tiles.

Edit: Ack! I read right over puke's post somehow. Yes it exists, it's wonderful for the neurotic.

[ July 09, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

okay, asside from the just neurotic, this can really hose a fort.

if the river floods and a plant springs up and you have a perma-muddy tile in the middle of your main hallway leading to your indoor trade depot, you will never get a caravan through because the mudd will block the way.

i guess you can just bridge over the mud, but thats pretty ghetto.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

yeah and when it is in the middle of the doorway too...
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.