Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Goblin Clan! [OOC Thread]  (Read 4427 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Clan! [OOC Thread]
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2014, 09:06:45 am »

To be honest, I've not actually put any thought into my religion at all (just like real life). I've just been grabbing names off the wikipedia list of Maya gods whenever it seemed appropriate. I guess I imagine that the religion would be something appropriate for society with a distinct lack of attention span, a huge propensity for theft, and a fairly laissez-faire attitude about murdering other species?

I could take a stab at some tenets though. Like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Um. Those are some pretty generic tenets. I'm not sure if that was what you were looking for. Or if you were looking for specific important behaviors to observe or how the religion wants to organize society. I'm sure there are plenty of important rituals to observe and rules to follow, but I don't know if they are worth trying to make up a bunch right away. If you wanta have the goblins sacrifice people for various reasons, that might be appropriate. Although sacrificing people not in the tribe might be the most appropriate, given the general Kea lifestyle.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »

I hope I'm not getting us starved to death here for taking too many of our potential hunters for personal reasons. I just see that the kobold is a bit too focused right now to think straight. Feel free to stop me.

Also I have no idea how alchemy is supposed to work, so is my action at least somewhat correct?
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »

We can eat livestock for a few turns if we must, and then take more from the humans. Also, the Bird is hunting.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2014, 07:48:41 pm »

SKREE! HUNT! SKREE! CREDIT TO TEAM!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:54 am »

I hope I'm not getting us starved to death here for taking too many of our potential hunters for personal reasons. I just see that the kobold is a bit too focused right now to think straight. Feel free to stop me.

Also I have no idea how alchemy is supposed to work, so is my action at least somewhat correct?

Yeah.  Alchemy uses up Alchemical resources (such as Alchemical Herbs, Alchemical Powders and Alchemical Crystals) to create potions.  It's deliberately abstracted, but the action is correct.  Don't know how effective it will be, but it's the right thing to do.

And Cript, those tenets are fine.  Just needed a few pointers as to how crazy those goblins are going to act.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 09:44:54 pm »

I feel like. We might soon need to abandon this sweet pad. If Yourmaster is just going to tell everyone a army of darkness is in the area it seems like things are going to heat up. Like. Really fast. Maybe we should focus on food gathering so that when we are forced to flee for our lives we will have a slightly easier time of it, what with maybe not having to slow down to hunt so that the vast armies of the light that are sure to soon be destroying us have a slightly less easy time catching up with us?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 10:19:31 pm »

Not gonna rush it quite yet. Also, we have no means of preserving meat at the moment.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2014, 01:45:39 am »

Not gonna rush it quite yet. Also, we have no means of preserving meat at the moment.

Fortunately, smoking and curing meat is all part and parcel of the 'hunting' deal.  I've just abstracted it, in the same way that "Alchemical Herbs" stands for a large variety of various plants Jeeris is gathering.  Suffice to say, all meat is properly preserved and you don't need to worry about food stocks going off.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2014, 05:30:12 am »

I'm just going to kill the whole town.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:00 pm »

Ba-dump.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 10:57:48 am »

Sorry about that, I guess we're just sorta in a subsistence level holding pattern at the moment, so I was (and I assume that some of the others were as well) just waiting to see what would come from yourmasters folly to see if that would shake us out of it.

Edit: Oh, also, with one dead goblin that would mean we eat one less meat a turn (and there is one less follower in the cult) right?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:02:22 am by Criptfeind »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 11:06:09 am »

Sorry about that, I guess we're just sorta in a subsistence level holding pattern at the moment, so I was (and I assume that some of the others were as well) just waiting to see what would come from yourmasters folly to see if that would shake us out of it.

Edit: Oh, also, with one dead goblin that would mean we eat one less meat a turn (and there is one less follower in the cult) right?

Whoops, yes.  Meat deduction fixed, but not cultists.  And YM's folly will show up during the turn.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 09:03:22 pm »

pretty much all necromancy is learned by rote from formulas cooked up centuries ago.
I'm sorry, but i'm a bit confused by the wording
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 10:03:54 pm »

pretty much all necromancy is learned by rote from formulas cooked up centuries ago.
I'm sorry, but i'm a bit confused by the wording

Apologies.  As a necromancer, what you know is a series of pre-formed spells and enough necromantic theory to adjust those spells to whatever parameters you require (so you can Raise a dead ant or a whole battalion).  However, because you don't know enough of the underlying theory of all magic (Purism) you can't create new spells.  In order to get new spells as a necromancer, you need to find or be taught them.  However, necromancy has been around since nearly the start of the world as it is known (and possibly came from the gods anyway), so you can likely find someone else that knows it and force new spells out of them.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 08:56:50 am »

Sorry folks, been away from the internet for a week or two, back and undergoing triage on which games to keep going.  Which is mainly just this one.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5