Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: OpenTTD: Signal Finagling simulator, Server Edition  (Read 26755 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: OpenTTD: Signal Finagling simulator, Server Edition
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2015, 07:21:28 pm »

if we are shrinking water masses which is fine by me can we also have less taller hills so that it makes it easier to do trains?
Or you could leave water alone, use the boat money to fund train building in hills, and leave hills alone.
Boats are way too effective.  I have 40 trains running between over a dozen cities, and am making about 1 million, before calculation of maintenance costs.   Someone running a similar number of boats makes several million.
I'm actually running over a hundred boats in almost all of the coastal cities on the map. Xan also has about a hundred boats IIRC.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2015, 07:26:47 pm »

I'm going to guess you guys are using the speedy hydrofoil passenger boats, because that sounds like trains otherwise.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2015, 07:33:22 pm »

if we are shrinking water masses which is fine by me can we also have less taller hills so that it makes it easier to do trains?
Or you could leave water alone, use the boat money to fund train building in hills, and leave hills alone.
Boats are way too effective.  I have 40 trains running between over a dozen cities, and am making about 1 million, before calculation of maintenance costs.   Someone running a similar number of boats makes several million.
I'm actually running over a hundred boats in almost all of the coastal cities on the map. Xan also has about a hundred boats IIRC.

I'm referring to back when you had 40 boats.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2015, 07:37:17 pm »

Ah, okay.

I'm going to guess you guys are using the speedy hydrofoil passenger boats, because that sounds like trains otherwise.
Yeah, they're pretty OP without better trains to balance them. Although I haven't looked at the electric rails, so that might be different.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2015, 07:39:04 pm »

We have vactubes now.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2015, 08:58:31 pm »

later electric/diesel or monorails is probably when it starts getting better then boats as they are usually cheaper to run per cargo load and are much faster, but it does require you to have a proper rail infrastructure in place to run it and that takes time and depending on how much you spend on terraforming. Boats are, however, nice to have for a early boost in capital for intricate rail networks. Prehaps we could set the starting loan limit higher?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:07 pm »

Electric rail trains use the rail from the same menu as the electric rail train depot, the same way monorail/maglev/vacuum tube trains do. I believe theres a replace button or something for electric rail to place it over normal rail.

What is this button?  It is very important to my interests.

Also, in other news, the server's down.  What happened?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2015, 12:01:13 am »

Its the track/road with the u-turn arrow coming out of it.

And still could use some more explanation for the rail thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2015, 11:57:16 am »

Electric rail trains use the rail from the same menu as the electric rail train depot, the same way monorail/maglev/vacuum tube trains do. I believe theres a replace button or something for electric rail to place it over normal rail.

What is this button?  It is very important to my interests.

Also, in other news, the server's down.  What happened?
For the button, I checked and its next to the bulldozer, with a Convert/upgrade rail tooltip. If you have link landscape toolbar to construction toolbars on, its between bulldozer and raise terrain. (for Aseaheru, theres a lot of menus in OTTD that gives you options if you hold down the mouse button on them, like the railroad tracks one gives a list of track options, or the floppy disk that gives you save/load/abandon options. )

As for the server, it looks like my computer turned off for some reason last night. I've still got a save for the map if you guys want to continue it, the save's from around 9pm est.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:00 pm »

As for the server, it looks like my computer turned off for some reason last night. I've still got a save for the map if you guys want to continue it, the save's from around 9pm est.

I've found a good heightmap we could use.  It's got a shape similar to the one I mentioned earlier, two plains split by a mountain range.  Only problem with it is that two sides of it don't blend with the edges well and result in a sloping hill, for some unclear reason.  Other two blend with the edge just fine.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:57 pm »

for Aseaheru, theres a lot of menus in OTTD that gives you options if you hold down the mouse button on them, like the railroad tracks one gives a list of track options, or the floppy disk that gives you save/load/abandon options.

Yes, I know. I spend much of my time in them. However, last I saw there was not a second electrified rail option for 3ed rail trackage.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »

Oh, in that case I'm not sure what you're asking about. Not the best at trains am I.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2015, 01:19:42 pm »

Well, thank you anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2015, 06:52:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's that heightmap I mentioned.  Keep the max height to around 20-25, past that the path to the oceans is about a 5 long hill, and if you want a smoother connection.

By the way, when's the server going to be back up?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's that heightmap I mentioned.  Keep the max height to around 20-25, past that the path to the oceans is about a 5 long hill, and if you want a smoother connection.

By the way, when's the server going to be back up?
(aside from other things, like reading about how OBS works) I'd been waiting for the heightmap or someone asking to continue the previous map. It'll be up in some minutes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14