Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miners mining themselves to death  (Read 3551 times)

Miners mining themselves to death
« on: September 07, 2014, 03:47:10 am »

I've got a reasonably stable fort up but I'm struggling to expand because my miners won't stop mining, even to eat, drink or sleep, so far I've lost three of them despite the fact there's an easy path to food and water.

using 34.11 I believe. How do I stop this?
Stages of DF Ideas:
How do the mechanics for this work?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Re: Miners mining themselves to death
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 04:20:49 am »

now that's what i call dedication to the duty!

honestly,that's the first time i hear about something like that that.
1)are you absolutely sure there is a path to food and water?
2)if yes,try disabling the mine labor from them and see what they'll do.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:21:52 am »

For now, dont designate to much at once and give them time to relax here and there.
Gonna be fixed soon enough.

Then again, i didnt notice that problem with my miners on the same version fair enough. O.o

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:24:10 am »

Are the miners assigned to a burrow? If so, is there food and drink in the burrow?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:30:21 am »

No burrow and there's a clear path, and it's just the miners, the haulers are fine.
Stages of DF Ideas:
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 04:45:50 am »

It does sound like you *think* there's an easy path, but there isn't.

Undesignate a few tiles so they can no longer reach anything to mine, or disable their labors for a moment. What happens? If they just idle about (or start hunting for vermin if they're starving), you probably don't have a path. Or you could upload the save to DFFD to have someone else check it out for you.

Hm, by haulers, do you mean haulers who are actually hauling rock? Strange. If so, yea, just designate in smaller bits and give them breaks as a workaround for now. And have a look around the bug tracker to see if this has been reported there, if not, do so.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 04:51:39 am »

You could also try to build something close to the miners that you only have in a main area of your fort, for example a door. If you cannot build it, you don't have that easy path. Ramps can sometimes be misleading as they need a wall behind them to be accessible.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

They don't idle, or hunt vermin, all they do is mine, until they die. Meanwhile five haulers are going in and out of the excavation area with wheelbarrows collecting ores
Stages of DF Ideas:
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:07:36 pm »

They don't idle, or hunt vermin, all they do is mine, until they die. Meanwhile five haulers are going in and out of the excavation area with wheelbarrows collecting ores
So they are stuck in this area when other dwarves has no problems moving in, through and out of same area? This sounds serious. Put up bug report on Mantis with save. This is probably related to job handling, not pathing.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:14:49 pm »

Actually, it would be preferrable to report bugs in 40.11 because there are so many things changed in 40.xx that it would be difficult to tell whether that one has been fixed in 40.xx or not.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 02:32:15 pm »

Pardon my scepticism, but it's really weird if you really are using 0.34.11 and getting this (what seems like a) bug, since 34.11 was in use for what, 2 years, and this is the first I've heard of a bug like this (granted, I've been away from the forums for months at a time, but also posting actively for months at a time).

You didn't quite read what I posted earlier:
Undesignate a few tiles so they can no longer reach anything to mine, or disable their labors for a moment. What happens?

Remove designations so the miners can't reach any mining jobs. Then report what happens. If they're still mining, you've somehow managed to get miners to mine without designations, in which case, congratulations, you've won/broken the game somehow.

You also haven't mentioned if you've followed than402's suggestion to disable the mining labour and see what happens....

If they don't have access to a designation/mining job, or the labor is turned off, they should look for another job, start idling, or do some "free time" activity (drink, eat, sleep, break, party). Hunting vermin should occur when dwarves become starving but can't path to food, either because they don't have access to it, or there is none.

If you're getting this in 34.11, post a save so someone can verify it. Reporting a bug may or may not be useful. If you're getting this in 40.xx (which includes 40.11 btw), then you should still post the save, and at least if it's one of the really new versions (40.1x), report the bug, but probably best to report either way. POST THE SAVE! (on http://dffd.wimbli.com/ )

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 02:41:40 pm »

If they're still mining, you've somehow managed to get miners to mine without designations, in which case, congratulations, you've won/broken the game somehow.

He made DF evolved until the point it became self conscious and decides by itself that dwarves shall mine ... I would say win.

Anyway, I had few problems with ramps, as dwarves won't use those if you dig around it too much and in other strange case. If there's ramp on the ramp, try to build stairs instead and see how it goes.
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:46:07 pm »

POST THE SAVE! (on http://dffd.wimbli.com/ )
Seconded. This is either really simple (in which case it'll be a learning experience for you) or an amazing bug (in which case it'll be fun for all of us).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 07:47:39 pm »

Agreed that you should briefly attempt to replicate this in 40.x if you have the time. If you don't, or if you try and can't replicate, though, you should still post the 34.11 save.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 01:04:25 am »

Sounds like something I discovered in one of my many failed attempts to recreate a stereotypical mine like Moria, how many times does the path out change z-levels? I've noticed that creatures (Both dwarves and invaders) have a hard time pathing up and down through hilly terrain, especially when the path zigzags and spirals over itself. Made it into a drowning-trap once, it's a fairly reliable way to get goblins to move into a particular spot and then patiently wait to for the water to kill them.

A good way to get the miners back safely is to cancel all the mining designations in the tunnel, and them lead them out with 1x1 designations along the wall out like breadcrumbs. You'd have to lead them out one "breadcrumb" at a time, but it beats starving.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: [1] 2