Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Melee Combat  (Read 30994 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Melee Combat
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 10:28:20 am »

Err, question. Can you do anything otherwise in LARP battles like striking away the weapon-hand or parrying away their weapon so you can go in for a torso hit?

My brother had a habit of hitting my hands really hard, which was the only way I've ever been hurt with those things... considering it's supposed to be lightest touch and striking the hand away would require force, I'd say no.

But parrying away the weapon, yes.  That was the whole purpose behind my dual-wielding.  Instead of bouncing the opponent's weapon away like a shield would, I'd try to catch and control it as much as I could to create openings.
:O
No wonder the many references to weapon-on-weapon poking away...
Use one weapon to 'dodge' the attack and the other to counter ._.
That seems very effective. Just don't mind the pointy//weapon-end on the parrying weapon and think of it as a deflector.

Dual-wielding \o/

There are a whole range of historical weapons that are pronged knives (like a very short trident) designed to catch an opponent's sword and then gain control of it by twisting and trapping it between the blade and the prongs.

The problem is that no one actually used them outside duels or civilian use, because they're basically a shield that's much harder to use, and also because they only work if you're facing a single opponent using a small range of weapons.  The same general principle applies to parrying daggers with a long crossguard; great if your opponent has a short sword, but try using it against a spear, or a flail, or a polearm, a mace, any type of calvalry, any ranged weapon, multiple opponents, a faster and longer dueling weapon like a rapier, ect.

The other problem of course being that just holding a long sword in two hands gives you the same long crossguard for defense, and much more reach and killing power.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 11:34:26 am »

A katana is literally useless against european heavy armor, and too heavy for how short it is.

1) Personally, if I were to go up against a knight in plate armor, I would most definitely rather have a katana than not have one. Remember you can stab with a katana, and armor does tend to have weaker points.

2) I don't think european swords that served in the same niche as the katana did, did especially well against plate armor either. Pretty much, plate was developed for the purpose of stopping swords. Why are you singling out the katana?

One more thing, the modern trend of making lighter weapons has nothing to do with the traditional Katana, one from the warring states period would be moderately light (5 lbs.+), but an older blade could easily mass 7-9 lbs., and I have heard from several of the sensei in the Shin-Kendo school that the higher-grade blades massed as much as 11 lbs.

...umm, pretty much: no. What you're claiming would be like about swinging a barbell around. Even five pounds is heavy for a weapon, and the Japanese are not exactly known for being especially large or strong people. Maybe if you're talking about cavalry, or ceremonial weapons. Are you? I assume not.

the blade is hardly short, they ranged from three feet to three and a half, that's pretty decent length wouldn't you say?

1) I don't think I've ever handled a katana with a blade longer than three feet, and generally they're under two and a half. I no longer have one to compare to, but I do have a bokken, and holding that up to my other swords, it's definitely shorter than most everything else. Only my hookswords are shorter. Granted, most of my weapons are storebought replicas rather than "historic" weapons, but I did once handle a WW2 Japanese officer's sword and that was similar in both weight and length to modern replicas I've handled. In my experience, as swords go, katana are on the relatively shorter end of the spectrum.

2) Wikipedia seems to agree with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana

"katana blades tended to be between 70 to 73 cm (27 1⁄2 to 28 1⁄2 in) in length. During the early 16th century, the average length was closer to 60 cm (23 1⁄2 in). By the late 16th century, the average length returned to approximately 73 cm (28 1⁄2 in)."

have you ever lifted a renaissance era knight's longsword?  The real thing, not a recreation?

You mean an authentic, hundreds of years old sword? No. I haven't. Have you? Has anyone in this thread? I do have a decades-old hand-crafted "intended for real use" talwar in my bedroom, though. Does that count? It's under three pounds with a blade length of 31 inches.

According to a quick google search, the heaviest swords in the history of the world that saw actual combat rather than ceremonial use were not generally more than about 6 pounds. Your claim of 7-9 pounds as typical and higher end blades up to 11...do you have any reason you can give us to believe that other than "my sensei say so?"

How big are you? Go to your local gym and try swinging a ten pound bench press barbell around by one end for a couple minutes. Come back and tell us how easy it to do. Then imagine being an average 5' 1" Edo-period Japanese male doing it.

I just don't think so.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Give me a reason to believe it.

There are a whole range of historical weapons that are pronged knives (like a very short trident) designed to catch an opponent's sword and then gain control of it by twisting and trapping it between the blade and the prongs.

The problem is that no one actually used them outside duels or civilian use, because they're basically a shield that's much harder to use, and also because they only work if you're facing a single opponent using a small range of weapons.

Ok, but what exactly is your point? Saying that "nobody except duelists and civilians" used these weapons isn't a valid reason to dismiss them. In the context of this thread, civilian dueling is exactly and precisely what we're talking about. As for historic value, longer training time is a perfectly good reason to not train your military in these weapons or styles, but that doesn't mean they're not effective. When training an army, you probably want something cheap and easy to learn. Yes, dual wielding likely takes much longer to learn than sword and shield. But if you're a private individual who has the time and inclination rather than than a military commander seeking to spend as little time and money as possible to get as much effectiveness as you can from your army...non military standard weapons and styles might be be suitable. People keep bringing up the issue of bows, for example. What about them? Your typical 1800s english gentleman probably isn't going to run into a brigade of longbowmen. He's far more likely to engage in a one on one duel. He doesn't need to worry about bows or carrying rations, or many of the other issues people have brought up. Dual blades is a viable option. And, again, I already linked european parrying daggers in that context. Shields might be great if you're in an army, but they're terribly inconvenient walking down the street. And if OP wants to dual wield with his LARP group, he probably doesn't care at all about the practicalities of dual wielding against mixed unit field armies with cavalry and archers and things.

It's is a valid and viable option here.

Even dual wielding katana specifically, which has no historical precedent, is still a valid option here. And I once again give the example of chinese double broadsword, which not only has a historical predecent, not only is valid and viable in a civilian dueling context...it has a lot of "sheer awesomeness" value. When you go out when your LARPing buddies and start twirling blades like a blender...even if it takes five times as long to learn as standard shield and sword, OP isn't doing this to fight for his life. He's doing it to have fun. Being the awesome guy who does amazing things has to be worth something.

Probably a whole lot more than arguments about historical accuracy.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 12:08:46 pm »

stab with a katana
That's a good recipe to have your katana break. Especially if it gets stuck inside some armor joint while you're trying to get it through.
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:34 pm »

And if OP wants to dual wield with his LARP group, he probably doesn't care at all about the practicalities of dual wielding against mixed unit field armies with cavalry and archers and things.

I wouldn't remommend it in a mass larp, though. For north American bicolline has a world wide reputation and is one the largest larp in the world http://www.bicolline.org/le_duche.html
In that setting two sords are better than one, but a sword and a shield is definitely better on the battlefield.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 12:20:16 pm »

That's a good recipe to have your katana break. Especially if it gets stuck inside some
armor joint while you're trying to get it through.

...ok, but in the hypothetical scenario described...you're being attacked by a knight in plate armor. Are you more concerned about breaking your weapon, or not dying?

Does anybody really think you'd be better off without a katana in that situation? Even if the tip of your katana were already broken off before you handed it to me, I'd still rather have it than not have it. Phmcw's suggestion that it would be "worthless" against heavy armor is completely silly.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2014, 12:23:21 pm »

To be honest, LARPing is pretty weird to me.. Thread is still interesting read.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2014, 12:23:53 pm »

That's a good recipe to have your katana break. Especially if it gets stuck inside some
armor joint while you're trying to get it through.

...ok, but in the hypothetical scenario described...you're being attacked by a knight in plate armor. Are you more concerned about breaking your weapon, or not dying?

Does anybody really think you'd be better off without a katana in that situation? Even if the tip of your katana were already broken off before you handed it to me, I'd still rather have it than not have it. Phmcw's suggestion that it would be "worthless" against heavy armor is completely silly.

Worthless is figurative. You cannot cut through steel and katana are mostly about cutting so they lose a lot.
Japanese coulddn't make plate armor because it would have been too expensive given their limited iron supply, so they had no need to defeat them.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2014, 12:26:23 pm »

You cannot cut through steel and katana are mostly about cutting so they lose a lot.
Japanese coulddn't make plate armor because it would have been too expensive given their limited iron supply, so they had no need to defeat them.

I don't dispute your facts, but I don't see how they're relevant.

What exactly is your point, and how is it relevant to anything being discussed?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2014, 12:30:14 pm »

Despite how much I like katanas... they're pretty crap. Apparently, you need training (a LOT of training) to use one without it shattering in a couple of hits. You're actually supposed to wield one more like a fishing rod, too, rather than bashing away at a person.
I've never held one but they're pretty thin weapons.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:30 pm »

Given my training with the katana, it's a pretty good weapon for what it's supposed to be used for. It's for slashing and some stabbing against lightly armored or unarmored enemies. You can use it for heavier bashing, but you have to use the base of the blade to do so. I was prototypical size for an Edo period man when I was training, and it suited me well. It still does, even though I've gained a ton of weight.

Now, that said, if I were facing a Raubritter in heavy plate armor, I would do two things: A) Outmanuver him and rely on counter-attacks, and B) attack the joints in the armor or stab through the visor of his helm and sell his armor to buy a new sword. Moving laterally in plate armor is hard unless you're very strong. Chainmail is also pretty heavy. If I were to face down a knight and had a choice of weapons, I would choose either the Estoc (the large, two handed variety,) or a rifle.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 12:56:47 pm »

If I had to face down a knight and had a choice of medieval weapons for near combat, I'd choose a 200lb draw crossbow.

This forum (largely SCA, but it attracts a fair few Armoured Combat League fighters) has a bunch of fighting tips and videos if you look around some.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:03 pm »

First off, my Sensei was Obata Toshishiro, if you don't know the name, a quick search should tell you everything you need to know, and I have handled a 500 year old Longsword, and it is god damn heavy.  I am 5' 8", weigh 240 lbs, and can curl 65 lbs. in each arm.  Not on a bar, IN EACH HAND.  If you can't swing a heavy blade, don't whine at me, I can handle a goddamn modern Katana in each hand, but I can only swing one of Obata Sensei's training swords two-handed.  I can't source shit online due to the fact that most of my reading material was in college libraries, and it's been upwards of 16 YEARS since I last went looking for the old stuff.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:42 pm »

I am 5' 8", weigh 240 lbs, and can curl 65 lbs. in each arm.  Not on a bar, IN EACH HAND.  If you can't swing a heavy blade, don't whine at me, I can handle a goddamn modern Katana in each hand, but I can only swing one of Obata Sensei's training swords two-handed.

This is either largely irrelevant or exactly what LordBucket was saying. You're something like 7" and 100-120lb bigger than a Japanese man from the era you're talking about, and I'm not sure what the fact that you can lift weights has to do with a historical discussion.

Also, apparently European swords tended to cap out at 4.5lb, and katanas would have tended to be lighter than (or comparable to?) bastard swords, at least intuitively.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 01:34:09 pm »

First off, my Sensei was Obata Toshishiro, if you don't know the name, a quick search should tell you everything you need to know, and I have handled a 500 year old Longsword, and it is god damn heavy.  I am 5' 8", weigh 240 lbs, and can curl 65 lbs. in each arm.  Not on a bar, IN EACH HAND.  If you can't swing a heavy blade, don't whine at me, I can handle a goddamn modern Katana in each hand, but I can only swing one of Obata Sensei's training swords two-handed.  I can't source shit online due to the fact that most of my reading material was in college libraries, and it's been upwards of 16 YEARS since I last went looking for the old stuff.

Are you a Navy Seal too?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 01:36:12 pm »

No, I'm a washed out tanker, didn't even complete training, though I did embarrass the hell out my Drill Sergeant in the pugil ring.

Edit: You know, I'm just not going to be able to post in a reasonable fashion here, so I'm going to stop.  This subject is something I've been very angry about for a very long time, and I can't be rational about it, so I'm leaving the thread so I don't cause any more problems or derails.  Have a nice day Bay Watchers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:52:44 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16