Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Steam Thread  (Read 6008 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »

Why did they make it even more difficult to properly see what new titles come out.
This is a mess.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 06:55:54 pm »

I actually really like the queue system, as well as the new store.

why do I have the opposite opinion of everyone all the tiiiime
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »

I actually really like the queue system, as well as the new store.

why do I have the opposite opinion of everyone all the tiiiime

Well personally I don't really care about popular games, and that's what the new store is heavily pushing on all angles.
If it's popular, I already know about it; I don't need it pasted all over the screen. This just makes it harder to find the more niche titles, and it was already pretty bad before, what with DLC and FTP MMOs pushing everything off the front page.

One step forward and one back?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 12:28:15 am »

Extra Credits did an episode on this with some good suggestions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUfUc9fANc&list=UUCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg
(They get to Steam about halfway through the episode.)

I think Steam is working on some of these things (has even implemented one or two of those suggestions), and at least they're trying to fix the problems, but yeah, there's still a long way to go. I agree 100% that they need to lay off pushing the AAA titles, although it's easy to see why they do (big profit margin on those). They're releasing more indie games than ever before, yet we never hear about most of them. They keywords/tags are a good idea, but they need to be regulated. Assuming everything will balance out when the mob gets to work on it is just naive.

I'm not a player of very many AAA titles. I play mostly indie games. Yet with all the new functionality on their updated store, none of it is geared towards finding the indie games I want. It's all "look at the hottest new releases!" "look at our biggest sellers!" "look at the games we'd make the most money on!" This is the same as it's always been. Now it's just highlighted even more shamelessly.

I think my favorite suggestion from the EC video is that we should be able to search keywords by how frequently they're used in reviews. The reviews are really the most useful source of information about the games, and for games without a metascore, it's the most important factor I consider when I'm going to buy a game. But right now, the only way to look at reviews is to actually read through them one at a time, in the order Steam gives them to you. Having a little keyword cloud for each game with most common words from reviews would be spectacular. I could find games based on real keywords used to describe the game by people who take the time to review it, rather than the tags people put on the games which are just a mess.

Also, why is Steam blue now?

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 05:06:58 am »

I totally detest the way it forces 'popular new releases' upon you on your home page, and doesn't allow you to select ALL new releases at a glance.

Why do I want to know about games that other people think are decent? I want to see all available offerings, I might like something the majority doesn't.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 05:12:01 am »

I totally detest the way it forces 'popular new releases' upon you on your home page, and doesn't allow you to select ALL new releases at a glance.

Why do I want to know about games that other people think are decent? I want to see all available offerings, I might like something the majority doesn't.

I would like that option, if it also came with the sub-option of opting out of any and all titles published by strategy first :p New releases tended to get horribly clusterfucked by shitty shovelware and 10 year old titles being rereleased as "new".

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 05:17:00 am »

There also needs to be a way to remove DLC from searches and lists. There's far more DLC than games, especially if you're looking for cheap indie games. If I want to search for games under %5, 80% of the list is DLC, and there's no way to remove it. I have to scan through thousands of the things, hoping I won't miss the titles of actual games in the process.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 08:57:46 am »

While we're wishing, how about a way to search things by a custom price tag? I can't tell how many times I've had 1 dollar left over from a purchase, and had to trawl through the 5$ games just to find one I -COULD- buy.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 09:07:10 am »

There also needs to be a way to remove DLC from searches and lists. There's far more DLC than games, especially if you're looking for cheap indie games. If I want to search for games under %5, 80% of the list is DLC, and there's no way to remove it. I have to scan through thousands of the things, hoping I won't miss the titles of actual games in the process.

That search functionality was present prior to the style refresh, and is still present.  From the front page, click the see-more-specials button (under the daily deal, on the right)...  then click the check-box for Games on the right (Show Selected Types); this part was top-center prior to the style change.  Finally, just above the price column, sort by Lowest Price.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 11:29:19 am »

Certain things I can never get off my library once I've downloaded them, like dota2 and a couple beta games. No option to uninstall or delete them when I right-click. Will give more deets if necessary when I'm at home.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 11:52:34 am »

Certain things I can never get off my library once I've downloaded them, like dota2 and a couple beta games. No option to uninstall or delete them when I right-click. Will give more deets if necessary when I'm at home.

If you select "Set Categories" when you right click there should be a tick box to hide them from your library.  They're not 100% gone since they'll be in the hidden games selection, but they won't show up in any of your other library lists anymore.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 12:03:34 pm »

If you select "Set Categories" when you right click there should be a tick box to hide them from your library.  They're not 100% gone since they'll be in the hidden games selection, but they won't show up in any of your other library lists anymore.
Yeah, I don't want to just hide them, I want them to be not taking up space on my computer. But that's good to know.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 12:05:59 pm »

Oh, I missed the part about not able to even uninstall.  Sorry about that.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 12:18:49 pm »

Just nuke them in your steamapps/common folder.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 12:37:18 pm »

* GUNINANRUNIN prepares nukebombs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4