Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: speed up?  (Read 856 times)

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
speed up?
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

Is there anyway to speed dwarf fortress up instead of having to wait for everything to be mined?

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: speed up?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

The game already runs as fast as it can possibly go with your current computer.  The only way to make it go faster is to either close programs to free up processing power, or just buy a faster processor.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

thats not true.  there is a default cap at 60FPS.  you can increase it by editing the init.txt file.

edit:  theres also ways to optimize performance, such as butchering or caging stray animals, shortening hauling distances, simplifying pathfinding, getting rid of clutter objects, playing with fewer dwarfs, etc.

ALSO, you can cheat.  see the wiki under "cheating" and specifically the bit about speeding up dwarfs by editing the raws.  of course, your soul will melt away if you do this, and you will forever be the moral equivilant of a turnip.  a very naughty turnip.

[ July 05, 2007: Message edited by: puke ]

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

Im not talking about performance, my fps is fine. My cpu is a core 2 duo. I might speed UP, becuase im bored of waiting for mining to be done.

Im not going to speed up their effiecney, im going to speed up the game speed itself just for the beggining. Way to hard to manage at the middle if everything is moving 10x faster.

[ July 05, 2007: Message edited by: Lokum ]

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

Just edit the init file, it's fairly easy to find.  Find Maximum FPS (Or something similar) and change it to something more acceptable to your speed driven desires.  It will run only as fast as your computer will handle, as mentioned above, so don't think about setting it to 50,000 FPS...
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

Take more skilled miners with you.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

Nah can't afford such a luxury...I rush for the for river and build everything on that side save a catacomb which I fill up with steam for an epic effect.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

puke, default cap is 100?  The 60 is usually vsync related.  If anybody out there is stuck at 60, you can disable vertical sync in your display options somewhere.  Next version of DF handles vsync in the init.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 02:53:00 am »

Now to be more specific, by speed up I mean IE: Fast forward.

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 03:02:00 am »

You can't fast forward, just set higher FPS cap to get better speed and pause when you actually want to do something else than watch super fast game.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 03:15:00 am »

I think the point he is missing is that increasing the framerate also increases the game speed. In this game dwarves at 120 FPS will move twice as fast as dwarves at 60 FPS because the logic part of the game is not seperated from the graphic part of the game, so every frame rendered is also one step of the game, in a way.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

Ohh alright. Anyways this topic can be locked. Funny little misunderstanding. Thanks for the help everyone ^^!!!

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

A way of compressing time without needing to quit the game could be helpful in some instances. I imagine someone's already thought of that, though.

(I assume that you do have to quit the game for the ini changes to take effect.)

If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

just for reference on relative speeds. A Duo core P4 with 1 gig ram can handle 200 FPS until you get over 23 dwarves. after that it starts slowing. In my current game I have 68 dwarves and am averaging 120 FPS still. (at 190~ dwarves my FPS hits 30~)

SDIT: I just realized I forgot to mention that I have weather turned off, but temp is on.

[ July 09, 2007: Message edited by: TerminatorII ]

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

Toady, if you happen to read this I think I figured out how to seperate the redraw and actual game processing within the Kobold Quest code.  I have also done some testing on the speed of things in DF and find that 10 FPS is plenty have smooth flashing and plenty of redraw for dwarves moving at high speeds (I gave mine a tag of SPEED:5 for testing).  So if the code for the enablerst::loop is still similar enough in DF then it shouldn't be very hard to make a game speed adjuster and lock the redraw at 10 FPS.  Actually 5 FPS might be enough.

Let me know if you want the changes posted here, or If I should just make a file and send it to you.

[ July 08, 2007: Message edited by: Veroule ]

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: [1] 2