Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: **SPOILER WARNING ** Wasted effort?  (Read 860 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
**SPOILER WARNING ** Wasted effort?
« on: May 09, 2008, 04:41:00 am »

The following refers to "Hidden Fun Stuff" so if you'd prefer to remain in blissful ignorance then STOP READING NOW!

Uh-oh...

I've just cleaned out a vein of adamantine and gone hunting above and around for all other nodes.  The only way to go now is down...

So, in anticipation of drilling into Demon Pits I've constructed a very large cistern just above, with a lot of cage traps leading off along the only corridor connecting to my fortress.

Before I actually penetrated into the pits and flooding 'em out, I thought I'd better check here to ensure that Demons are tamable.  I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that a few megabeasts aren't, irrespective of whether tasted dwarf  or not.  But a pair of tame Fire Demons as sentinels on my main gate...  that'd be cool enough to risk losing half my dwarves!

Now I'm reading that A) Demons are waterproof and B) ignore traps.  Please, please tell me that this isn't so?  [sob]  

My map doesn't have a magma source and trees are also scarce, so I'm really, really hoping that I can claim the pit to set up a magma forge from one of the pit's magma puddles?  (I'm assuming they're renewable resources? [fingers Xed])

Hmmm...  come to that, do Demons respawn in the pits?

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Eater of Vermin ]

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILER WARNING ** Wasted effort?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 05:15:00 am »

I can't help I'm afraid, but I do have a question for you. How can you tell which maps will have underground chasms, magma, or rivers?

And how far down do you have to dig? How many z-levels is an acceptable place to find any of these features?

I only ask because I've never found any of them. Does magma depend on the hotness of the region? Do you only get underground rivers if your map has a river running through it, or an aquifier perhaps?

Thanks.  :)

P.S. Fire Imp Sentinels sound like an excellent idea.  :D

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

kamikazemoose

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 05:15:00 am »

Spoiler alert! (there should be one)

anyway... While water-proof maybe they can be pushed of a cliff by water. I'm pretty sure traps won't work on them.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: kamikazemoose ]

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by kamikazemoose:
Spoiler alert! (there should be one)

Whoops!  Fixed.  (Hopefully)

Dances with Kobolds

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Moogie:
I can't help I'm afraid, but I do have a question for you. How can you tell which maps will have underground chasms, magma, or rivers?

Regional Prospector is your friend.   :D

quote:
I only ask because I've never found any of them. Does magma depend on the hotness of the region? Do you only get underground rivers if your map has a river running through it, or an aquifier perhaps?

Magma is mainly found on areas close to volcanos.  Chasms & underground rivers can be anywhere, although I've noticed they rarely seem to be anywhere without hills.  (Or so it seems to me.)  

Using Regional Prospector makes it easy to work out what maps have which... if any.

Dances with Kobolds

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

Demons are immune to traps.  Demons can drown, but swim innately.  Spirits of fire cannot drown, they burn off all water that touches them.  Demons cannot be tamed.

Pit-magma does not replenish.  However, you can run smelters and forges off of magma indefinitely, since the magma does not get used up.

There's a thread in Fortress Mode Discussion talking about possible anti-demon defenses.  I have also used a controlled cave-in to good effect, but setting one up can be very tricky and potentially hazardous.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:22:00 am »

My anti demon traps are along the lines of a properly trained military, and or too much water.

What's the point of being able to swim when there's no.. air?

Or you can use the dwarven molecular compressor.

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Moogie:
<STRONG>I can't help I'm afraid, but I do have a question for you. How can you tell which maps will have underground chasms, magma, or rivers?</STRONG>

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Utilities#Regional_Prospector

AFAIK chasms reach the surface usually.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:33:00 am »

If you mean drawbridges, that trick doesn't work anymore.  The bridge will shatter and the demon will remain unharmed.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 07:45:00 am »

Just don't do what I did...

The Fall of Commontorches

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosFollowing:
<STRONG>

The Fall of Commontorches</STRONG>

:roll:  (Can you guess what I've just spent the last hour or two doing, now that I suspect my flood/traps won't work?)

At least if the bridge shatters, it'll leave the Demon's isolated over the other side of the channel from the rest of the fortress.  [Phew!]  

I wonder how Demons feel about having excess rocks and kittens dumped on their heads?

Dances with Kobolds

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

Just so you know, a channel won't stop spirits of fire. They fly.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

If they ignore traps, why not create an alternative version of a trap?  Have supports made OF ICE in a large corridor leading to your fortress.  As the demons walk past, they melt the ice due to fieryness, then the ceiling comes down on top of them.  Wouldn't that work?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:11:00 am »

Nope, because ice constructions don't melt.

I had a glacier map with magma, and I used ice walls to build a magma cistern. Nothing quite like the Warm Rough Damp Water Wall.

However, generally using supports and careful mining to dump a heap of rock on the demons wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Temetrix - Nilk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosFollowing:
<STRONG>Just don't do what I did...

The Fall of Commontorches</STRONG>

Off Topic, but. Awesome story you made from that. This is why losing is fun.

:D

um-beer coockies!
Pages: [1] 2