Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World Map, and Constructions  (Read 2760 times)

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
World Map, and Constructions
« on: September 05, 2014, 05:23:27 pm »

Say I found a nice little island barely seperated from the mainland. Can I use two embarks to build a continuous bridge that will allow Human/Elf/Goblin neighbors?

Basically, will the island become pathable?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: World Map, and Constructions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:22:11 pm »

If I recall correctly, once you embark in an area, it counts as a bridge, regardless if one is ever mad. This is, of course, the older versions, so I am not sure if it works in the new one. I say try my hypothesis first. However, in adventure mode, there will be no bridge (of course), unless you make one.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:10:29 am »

I've had some very interesting worlds that generated a large freshwater lake with an island in the middle of the mountains. These would be interesting embark sites for a fortress, but they consistently have no exposure to neighbors. Its not nearly as fun playing without elves to kill, and well worth building a multiple embark bridge just to allow them access.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:24:59 am »

I've had some very interesting worlds that generated a large freshwater lake with an island in the middle of the mountains. These would be interesting embark sites for a fortress, but they consistently have no exposure to neighbors. Its not nearly as fun playing without elves to kill, and well worth building a multiple embark bridge just to allow them access.

Sounds like it might be time for.... SCIENCE!!

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 03:59:53 pm »

Yes, I'll try doing some "construction embarks". 10,000 points, 7 mason/architects, 7 axes, booze/food, lots and lots of cheap blocks. If I make the embarks 1 by maximum, it shouldn't take to many embarks to do a simple road before abandoning.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 04:03:07 pm »

Do I get bonus points if there is an iron track in the middle of a three tile wide gravel road with periodic wooden ties?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 08:26:48 pm »

Do I get bonus points if there is an iron track in the middle of a three tile wide gravel road with periodic wooden ties?
Mega bonus points for constructing a high-speed cart system for adventurers.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »

Ultra Mega Bonus points for putting a wicked jump at the end.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 08:40:13 pm »

Into a puddle of magma.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 09:00:36 pm »

Causeway construction underway to test concept. I managed to find a world  that has an island separated by only 7 embark tiles. I made a 2x9 embark, took 5000 granite chunks, and am underway. With the migrant wave, I have high hopes the bridge will finish before the booze runs out.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 09:03:07 pm »

This would be very interesting if it works... Why? You could simply destroy a section of the bridge if you are doing a Mega Project and want no Goblin neighbors for a while.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:07:10 pm by Chaine Maile »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 09:20:49 pm »

Ultra Ultra mega Bonus points for making jump into magma, which is in turn, part of an automatic obsidian making system.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 04:43:00 am »

Finished the causeway tonight. Cleaning up the junk, and will abandon to test tomorrow. 16 dwarves died building the bridge to the Island of Kwai. The native Kobolds got restless and attacked the construction camp while everyone was asleep. Tantrum Spiral almost stopped construction. Fortunately the three survivors finished the project.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 05:00:03 am »

Finished the causeway tonight. Cleaning up the junk, and will abandon to test tomorrow. 16 dwarves died building the bridge to the Island of Kwai. The native Kobolds got restless and attacked the construction camp while everyone was asleep. Tantrum Spiral almost stopped construction. Fortunately the three survivors finished the project.

It's for the best. You sent them out to build a bridge with nothing but construction materials and booze to keep them working at full speed. They would've faced death by starvation/thirst/exposure/wild animals pretty soon anyway.

I'd been thinking of bridge projects like this already with previous embarks, the reason I didn't go through with it is that my plans were somewhat more epic (obsidianized bridge, not constructions), and also involved founding a lasting fortress at the location (probably partially/fully integrated within the support structures of the bridge). Which meant I was waiting for the ability to retire fortresses, pretty much.

Now I started thinking: what about undersea tunnels? They probably would be available for use in adventure mode, but what about invaders and caravans and such...

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 12:42:48 pm »

Tunnels with an Indiana Jones style minecart ride?
Pages: [1] 2