Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting buy  (Read 733 times)

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting buy
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

Are cave wheat and sweet pods available to start out in your initial builds?

I know I can start with Plump Helmets and all kinds of seeds.. But can I buy Cave Wheat plants to start?

I searched for them during the plan carefully section but could not find them. Is this the same as some meats are randomized out during the start up ? (Can not always get fox meat at every start up for example) or can you just not get them ?

Thanks. I was trying to pull a big brewery type start without collecting plants....

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: Starting buy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

Yes you can. Use "seed" and "spawn" to see the other seeds you can bring.

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

I know I can buy seeds. I'm not tremendously interrested in farming though. I want to brew if possible.

I would like to know if I can buy Cave Wheat plants.

or Sweet Pod Plants.

(Just like I can buy Plump Helmut)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

Nope.

I'm prety sure the standard for what plants you can bring is that it must have both the flags [EDIBLE_RAW] and [CAVE].

[ July 05, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

@Grek:

Thanks for that information.

I did notice while browsing the wiki (before and after I posted my question) that the other main plants were not [edible_raw]. So this makes "sense".

I have only recently (last 3 fortress designs) actually acquired cave wheet and sweet pods and quarry bushes -via shrub gathering in the cave . And as I had immediately brewed them I was un-aware they could not be eaten raw.  Prior to that I had dealt with Strawberrys, Prickle Berrries, Longland Grass etc (obviously gathering outside.)

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

I don't even bother to bring seeds - by the end of the first winter I have a largish area next to the river hollowed out, and can expect to get plenty of cave wheat, pig tail, and sweet pod.

-Albert