Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That wasn't FUN  (Read 2121 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That wasn't FUN
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »

So, I breach a lake which begins flooding my fortress.  I've about 45 dwarfs going.  We begin salvage operations.  I control the flooding of my fortress, losing only one room and about 60% of the goods in the room that is flooding (moving to a dump pile outside).  In the middle of this calamity, we're attacked by 12 goblins.  No military yet...well four squads that are training but no weapons/gear yet.  I know..I know.  Just hadn't found coal or lignite for fuel yet and not really developed my wood burning yet (too many dwarfs honestly to quickly I was spending more time setting bedrooms..lol).

One breach in my defenses to allow me to handle the flooding and they were in the fortress...and my undergeared military AND all my regular dwarfs rushed to the front lines.  56 on 12...and it was a slaughterhouse.  All dead in one room.  OK, the flooding was FUN, losing to the gobbos not so much.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: That wasn't FUN
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 01:56:35 pm »

No, it's tons of Fun (That's fun with a capital F)

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where one catastrophe is just to weaken you so the next can wipe you out.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:59:03 pm »

Any true dwarf knows wanton destruction and death only furthers the cause. Each dwarven death opens more knowledge and opportunity for other dwarven lives.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Cavgunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »

If you actually allowed your fort to be so unsecure that an entire squad of goblins could gain easy access, then that was completely your error.  Considering the ease with which impenetrable walls and drawbridges can be constructed, securing your fort should be the FIRST priority... not building bedrooms.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »

Bedrooms were not the priority in any way.  I was in expansion mode and doing some defense work with a moat and through error punched a hole into my fortress.  At that point I was in recovery mode and trying to salvage the fortress...one decision I made was to breach my wall to allow quick access to building materials which I had to do in order to even have a shot at saving the fortress.  The timing of the attack was just bad luck and my bridges were fine...they came in through the breach I put there intentionally as part of salvage/saving operations.

On another note, just lost another fortress.  This time was bad planning.  I had bridges and they were linked but couldn't get to my burrow/lever in time.  One goblin got past the bridge, we smashed three others when the bridge closed.  The rest were trapped outside and no threat. 

18 dwarfs bumrushed one maul wielding goblin and were slaughtered.  Real early in this fortress...but you would think 18 on 1 could at least get him down and take him out.  Armor or no...understanding I'd lose some.  But a complete wipeout from one goblin? 
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:42:08 pm »

Sounds like you had a lot of FUN to me. Having multiple unexpected things happen at the same time is what makes all that FUN.

And you do not have to defend yourself on why the fort fell. There's no competition and there's no right or wrong way to do things. People may *assist and suggest* ideas to help you be more efficient or successful, but you have no obligation to listen to anyone who criticizes your play style or designs.

Some people like to make an impenetrable fortress, buckling down early on. Some people find that boring and like to see how far they can get without much defense at all, or certain types of defenses, or only military...etc. Play how you want and if you screw up, that's a good thing! You're learning for next time. And the next.. and the next... :)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 06:36:08 pm »

Try mixing things up, part of the game is learning new things. While people are off finding some normal defence, like walls, why not try something new?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 06:41:44 pm »

it is scientifically proven that bad things tend to happen simultaneously, leading to a total breakdown of a once thriving fort. The game always finds ways to surprise you, even when you know the mechanics.

I had a siege once where goblins showed up along with rogue dwarves fighting alongside them. I sealed the fort and managed to shoot all of them down except for one marksdwarf. feeling cocky, I sent all of my soldiers (I had 15 in minimal armor, as it was only the second year) to bumrush him, only for that marksdwarf to go on a martial trance, killing two of my soldiers and heavily wounding another three.

It felt like one of those action movies where the hero, the only one left, pulled a badass last stand despite being grossly overwhelmed, except the hero in this case was Judas.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 06:44:40 pm »

Yeah, one dwarf under the right circumstances can outmatch large numbers of other dwarves. A rogue spear master put down half my militia, then killed a sword master to finally fall to a hunter passing by.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 07:25:32 pm »

56 vs 12 healthy, strong dwarves should win using improvised weapons like chairs, tools, etc.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 08:48:53 pm »

56 vs 12 healthy, strong dwarves should win using improvised weapons like chairs, tools, etc.
Hence my concern and consternation...lol

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 09:37:46 pm »

Sure it was.  Fun isn't always the stuff of Boatmurdered and Syrupleaf, but then, very little is.  Enjoy your Fun for what it is.  Eventually, you will have more epic and entertaining Fun (which is what it seems you mean.  It didn't entertain or amuse you.  I know the feeling).
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 10:57:06 pm »

Oh c'mon, I'm sure you had fun watching all your hard work fall to pieces in the end!  ;D
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:50 am »

it is scientifically proven that bad things tend to happen simultaneously, leading to a total breakdown of a once thriving fort. The game always finds ways to surprise you, even when you know the mechanics.

Dwarf Fortress is essentially Entropy: The Game.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."