Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is that metal??  (Read 5025 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is that metal??
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 01:42:21 pm »

Wasn't there some cheat that allowed embarks anywhere? Such as over Necro Towers and the like?

There is, yes, embarkanywhere. DFhack isn't updated to 40.11 though.

Edit: ninja'd anyway.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 01:45:21 pm »

Would it work for 40.10? What would I have to type in to allow me to embark there?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »

I actually did this in an earlier version. Immediately after unpausing, the angels inside the vault (there were no demons) rushed out and slaughtered all of my dwarves in a matter of seconds.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 01:54:15 pm »

Aww... Dammit!!! Maybe if I adv. world gen'd to get 10k embark points, and loaded up on elephants (made them common_domestic for some !!SCIENCE!!) I could beat the first wave... Or it is every angel, even the ones through the bars?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 02:15:00 pm »

The ones behind the bars won't rush out (since the bars are in the way), but that doesn't help much since there's still a lot of them that aren't behind any bars.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »

I don't see how it is much different then dealing with some of the evil embark problems. Master Masons, bring some blocks, bring a ton of war dogs for distraction. Builded a wall and roof around the wagon. Deconstruct sealed off wagon, and start digging in. Anyone caught outside the wall is a blood sacrifice.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 02:52:16 pm »

I don't see how it is much different then dealing with some of the evil embark problems. Master Masons, bring some blocks, bring a ton of war dogs for distraction. Builded a wall and roof around the wagon. Deconstruct sealed off wagon, and start digging in. Anyone caught outside the wall is a blood sacrifice.

It's a bit faster than you realize...

I just did a force-embark on a vault (which contained 25 Soldiers, 50 Assistants, and 1 Beast), and within 400 frames there was an Assistant outside the vault and running toward the wagon, with the rest following closely behind. It's a bit more like unleashing HFS immediately on embark than embarking in an Evil location - zombies are slow, but angels are very fast.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 03:05:08 pm »

IIIIIDEEEEEAAAAA!!!
1: embark over a vault, making sure to be somewhat for away.
2: Bring blocks from embark.
3: Bring lots of dogs, too.
4: Have one dwarf dig down into the soil.
5: The rest of the dwarves build quick fortifications around the 1X1 stair.
6: Have that dwarf do his best to survive until a migrant wave distracts the angels, then have him quickly deconstruct one fortification, run, grab a bag of plump helmet seeds, store them underground, build that fortification again. Repeat with a couple logs and a block.
7: Have him live on plump helmets and plump helmet whine.
8: Dig around in iron, getting as much iron as possible. Make armour, an axe, a shield, and some barrels.
9: Breach a cavern, but wall off a small area, preferably with a tree in it.
10: Build a wall splitting the first large room with the first set of stairs with a drawbridge. Place a lever on the inside half of the drawbridge, and make a 3X3 ramp to the surface, immediately retreating behind by pulling the lever to close the gate.
11: Build a second line, with drawbridge as well, in a similar fashion further along this room, but with walls instead of fortifications.
12: Build a trade depot in this middle area.
13: Designate the area near the ramps as a meeting area. When migrants arrive, do your best to make sure they get in, while still keeping angels out.
14: Eventually, lock the second gate, with everyone inside, allowing a lucky caravan person or two to get in, lock the front gate, open the second, then deconstruct the depot. Take the goods.
15: Survive.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 03:06:59 pm »

Maybe if you use fast dwarf and teleport?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »

Maybe if you use fast dwarf and teleport?
If you're willing to cheat that much, then you may as well just use `liquids` to seal the vault entrance with Obsidian, but where's the fun in that?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 03:11:17 pm »

Using adv. world gen, you could get a few hundred war dogs to begin with. They may, and that's a huge stretch of a may, hold off the angels long enough to get all seven dwarves safely underground and walled off. If lucky supported by Armok himself, they may kill an angel or two.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »

Well, what about this....

Skilled miner, skilled mason, deep dirt embark, one block of stone. Set the miner digging STRAIGHT DOWN in X stairs. Instant he clears the dirt, throw a floor tile on top of him with the handy block.

Basically it becomes a 1 mining pick hermit challenge. Hopefully he hits carverns before he starves. From there its slow work preparing some well planned collapses and fortifying enough to eventually allow migrants to help.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 04:57:23 pm »

Can an adventurer leave things on the ground to make them available to a fortress founded on that ground?

I have successfully brought items with an adventurer to a retired fortress, but I don't know if you can leave the item first and then found the fortress.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 07:57:25 pm »

Wasn't there some cheat that allowed embarks anywhere? Such as over Necro Towers and the like?

With DFHack.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 12:19:26 pm »

How about you embark with this pets?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry for Grammar.
Pages: 1 [2] 3