Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What is that metal??  (Read 5018 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What is that metal??
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »

...If we used some invincible pet to kill the angels, that'd get rid of the entire point.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 08:31:10 pm »

Suppose you manage to dig some stairs down on the first attempt, then get some dwarves to floor those over for a sealed fort on the second attempt.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 11:09:36 pm »

Ooh... Just keep abandoning it over and over, with one dwarf left, until you have a spot nearly ready for the dwarves.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 04:37:56 pm »

I realize this thread is full of spoilers, but spoilered anyway:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 04:52:32 pm »

Once you get that anvil via cave-in, the ball is in your court. Give a dwarf a pick and an anvil, and he will forge an empire. I remember I modded zombies to be exactly like Bronze Collosi, embarked on a zombie filled map, and dig something similar to what the above guy did. I eventually was able to single out the zombies and kill them one by one.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 06:41:33 pm »

Now the archangel can probably solo a full fortress, considering it's FB size, covered in divine metal, and is rather skilled.

The brilliance of dwarf mode is that you don't have to try to kill it. assuming angels are building destoryers, you can easily lure the archangel into a room of furniture and trap it forever. if it's not, then lure it with kittens or elves or something. you should probably still seal up the vault before breaching through it with a co ordinated attack.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 07:13:58 pm »

Where's the fun in that? Don't let the demons invade your fortress- invade HELL.
Don't lure the angels into traps, charge THE VAULT. Now, that may sound like a suicide mission, but steel and adamantine clad legendary dwarves numbering in the dozens are no pushovers. I think my Draconian civilization could put up a better fight against angels and demons than anything else. Syndromes affect demons, right?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 07:16:52 pm »

divine metal is stronger than steel, but weaker than addy. I think it's even stronger than masterwork mithril. I wouldn't bet my dwarves against them.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 07:23:20 pm »

The brilliance of dwarf mode is that you don't have to try to kill it. assuming angels are building destoryers, you can easily lure the archangel into a room of furniture and trap it forever. if it's not, then lure it with kittens or elves or something. you should probably still seal up the vault before breaching through it with a co ordinated attack.
Be warned if you decide to retire that creatures can escape sealed areas. My adventurer got a forgotten beast surprise while retrieving some equipment from a retired fort.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 08:03:41 pm »

Creatures don't get quality on items, whereas your dwarves do. My legendary adventurer with masterwork and artifact arms made for him by a retired fortress, plus four bronze and copper armed companions, went even with a soldier angel, with me and one pikeman coming out on top. He had an artifact steel long sword in his main hand, a masterwork steel short sword in his off hand, an artifact gold shield for smashing stuff and fighting archers, and masterworked chain leggings and shirt, exceptional or masterwork leather hoods and cloaks, a masterwork steel breastplate, gauntlets, graves, and high boots, plus some steel spears to throw. That was him and four companions who were poorly equipped. Now take sixty of him, with adamantine weapons, with steel armor, leather cloaks and hoods, with one cloak and hood layer being adamantine, backed by dogs and other war animals, potentially dragons and rocs, and no angels, other than maybe the Archangel, could put up too much of a fight.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »

Creatures don't get quality on items, whereas your dwarves do. My legendary adventurer with masterwork and artifact arms made for him by a retired fortress, plus four bronze and copper armed companions, went even with a soldier angel, with me and one pikeman coming out on top. He had an artifact steel long sword in his main hand, a masterwork steel short sword in his off hand, an artifact gold shield for smashing stuff and fighting archers, and masterworked chain leggings and shirt, exceptional or masterwork leather hoods and cloaks, a masterwork steel breastplate, gauntlets, graves, and high boots, plus some steel spears to throw. That was him and four companions who were poorly equipped. Now take sixty of him, with adamantine weapons, with steel armor, leather cloaks and hoods, with one cloak and hood layer being adamantine, backed by dogs and other war animals, potentially dragons and rocs, and no angels, other than maybe the Archangel, could put up too much of a fight.

I agree that the dwarves should probably be able to take on the angels (or at least, if you have an army like that, how can you not try?), but don't bother wasting your adamantine on hoods.  Any item with the [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD] (including hoods) will get its armor properties seriously nerfed, down to somewhere around leather I think.  I can look up the exact mechanism if you want, but the only reason to make adamantine hoods is if you think they are pretty...which is fine I suppose.  This awesome thread by Urist da Vinci explains:

Quote from: Urist da Vinci
STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD also caps the shear yield at 20000 and shear fracture at 30000. This means that a wooden sword can cut through an adamantine cloak. This was presumably done to prevent silk clothing from protecting against animal bites and so on. Maybe we can think of it as the blade tip slipping between the threads without cutting them.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 09:41:03 pm »

You can obtain armor made from divine metal in adventurer mode by killing the angels who wear it. I've never done it myself, but according to the wiki, it would require Adamantine armor and weapons as well as Legendary combat skills.

Can an adventurer leave things on the ground to make them available to a fortress founded on that ground?

If you want to skip adventurer mode, the mod "Embark Anywhere" might used to embark on top of a Vault.
So in other words, a cloth tunic and a single fluffy wambler?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 10:00:58 pm »

They can drop things for your fortress on that grounds! I just embarked on the same spot where my adventurer went down fighting an ambush with an arrow between his head. I checked around, and found one still alive companion, apparently guarding my corpse.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 07:40:55 am »

Quietust had indicated (above in this threadt) that the problem with pitting a fortress against a vault is that as soon as you embark the angels come streaming out and murder your dwarves.  I wonder if it would be possible to take an adventurer and use the advfort tool to wall in the vault (while sneaking of course).  You would probably have to set the site as a lair, of course, but I think it should work, assuming advfort  is (or becomes) working in DFHack (I couldn't get it to work, but I don't know how to use it and didn't try that hard).  Then again, maybe it's simpler to just use standard evil zone embark tactics?

There's also always the option of just having an adventurer recruit as many of your dwarven army as possible and leading them in an assault on the vault.  But then your numbers are limited, and you have even less control over the army than in fort mode. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]