Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarf is a lyer  (Read 542 times)

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarf is a lyer
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

(English is not my mother tongue, so if you think this pun is a shame, you might be right)

I have a problem in my potash industry : my custom stockpile contains a dozen buckets full of lye, but when asked to turn them into potash, my potash maker would answer "Cancer *task* : need lye-bearing item". Is it a problem with the stockpile (designed to keep ashes, lye and potash only), the bucket (need a barrel?), anything else? I didn't find any topic about this in the last 10 pages.

Thank you for paying attention.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarf is a lyer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

Try making a couple more buckets, I'm not sure what the problem might be.  I've never bothered with lye.  I tend to skip that part of the process in favor of going straight to potash from ashes...

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

Yeah, it might just be a case of needing a spare (unused) bucket.
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

Your Dwarf has cancer? give him a break.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Thasero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

The lye in a bucket must be transferred into a barrel before it can be used.  This is a fairly low-priority task, so it might take a while if you keep dwarves cranking out items at workshops.

Jhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:16:00 am »

quote:
Yeah, it might just be a case of needing a spare (unused) bucket.

Well, that would mean that this error message is really unclear... and stupid : why not taking the lye from the bucket and use the busket to hold the resulting potash?

quote:
Your Dwarf has cancer? give him a break.

:)

quote:
The lye in a bucket must be transferred into a barrel before it can be used. This is a fairly low-priority task, so it might take a while if you keep dwarves cranking out items at workshops.

This would be a good explanation. I am concerned that none of my 6 current idlers has the idea do to that, though. Especially if you consider that hauling has a particularly high priority on my fortress - some miners always come through all the moutain to store a seed and then go back to work.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Jhyn ]

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:55:00 am »

(Storing seeds is 'food hauling' AFAIK. I think storing seeds usually has higher priority than standard 'item hauling')

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Trollvottel ]