Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First Year Sieges!?  (Read 1958 times)

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Year Sieges!?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 08:30:23 am »

I had to reclaim my current worldgen ruins twice because of that, I just didn't expect to get a full blown siege before I could even haul the wood from the very first tree inside. :D
My friends are all dead,
My right foot gone, but what a
Lovely waterfall.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:36 am »

Well, we're in luck.  It appears Toady figred out what was causing it and it'll be fixed in 40.12.  Huzzah!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »

I reclaimed with four military-capable dwarves and immediately created a squad for them, unfortunately I hadn't made weapons for them before the first siege... two months after embark... that one dwarf recruit they had with them slaughtered the whole fortress...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 07:05:45 am »

Well, we're in luck.  It appears Toady figred out what was causing it and it'll be fixed in 40.12.  Huzzah!

Huzzah indeed! I lost a fort of which I was really fond in the first year to a goblin siege.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 09:19:58 am »

I am currently running a fort as a dying/dead dwarven civ.
My only neighbours are elves, the cause of our dire situation.

I embarked about 2 tiles from the nearest elven site.
It is now year 3, and still no sieges.
Two kobolds thieves, but no tree-hugger in sight.

Is this normal?
(Note that the embark screen stated WAR with the elves)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 09:28:21 am »

Sieges are petty much just random.  Right now it's possible to get a siege in the first summer, or it's possible you could go 3-4 years without seeing one.

I think I remember Toady saying a long time ago that the desired average rate was about 1 siege every other year, but I'd have to dig deep into the forums to drag that one up.

But like anything random, you could end up with several sieges in one year, or no sieges for five years.  It's only over a long period of time that you'll experience the average.

That said, right now most of my forts are getting werebeast attacks like crazy.  Haven't seen a lot of sieges in 40.11, but almost every other season I'm being attacked by some were creature or another.

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 09:50:09 am »

Sieges are petty much just random.  Right now it's possible to get a siege in the first summer, or it's possible you could go 3-4 years without seeing one.

But like anything random, you could end up with several sieges in one year, or no sieges for five years.  It's only over a long period of time that you'll experience the average.

Good to know it's not a buggy occurence.
The soldiers of Roughhalls are getting bored with killing troglodytes and magma crabs.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:57 am »

Good to know it's not a buggy occurence.
The soldiers of Roughhalls are getting bored with killing troglodytes and magma crabs.

I actually missed the part where your only neighbors were elves.

Your only neighbors being elves might also be part of why there isn't much action.  Without goblin or tower neighbors you won't get sieged (or at least, not often) by them, so the only people left are the elves, and I think I remember that they either don't siege correctly, or not as often as the goblins because they aren't set to like combat (one of the raws settings).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:04:28 am by Tacomagic »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:09 am »

That is somewhat of a let down.
Was hoping for an all out war, establishing a vast dwarven empire, stretching from south to north(Where the goblin-defeating humans are), forged by the blood of their enemies.

Will have to wait and see if they show up or not.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »

I almost got a shock when the messages appeared: "The GOBLIN outpost laison" ... seems like my dwarves are ruled by goblins, and somehow, with 40.11, no invaders at all so far with the current fort. Maybe because of there are only humans and dwarves left, dwarves ruled by goblins.

Need to start another one ... and start wars, by drowning traders.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:06 pm »

experienced this.  Single squad of goblins, vile force of darkness, arrived late summer/early autumn.  And I was rudely reminded why marksdwarves are good and cagetrap-only defenses bad as the six goblins waited next to the cage traps for 2 seasons, completely blocking the autumn migrant wave and first-year autumn trade caravan.

Was sieged by undead that winter, more goblins the following summer, then got a simultaneous undead-elf and regular elf attack, which resulted in months of the two parties ineffectually hitting themselves with wooden weapons before getting bored half a year later and leaving.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2]