Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First Year Sieges!?  (Read 1959 times)

PerfectDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Year Sieges!?
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »

Well wow, I've never had Goblins throw a siege at me in the winter of the first year before, then another siege in the summer of year 2. I don't get enough dwarfs in my migration waves to fight armoured goblin sieges.

I took care of the first wave through cage traps. But the 2nd wave was larger.

The really weird thing was that there were no thief or raiding waves. Just siege waves.

It may have to do with the mountain home Liaison that showed up before winter was a goblin.

Needless to say, It was over when they broke through my unfinished walls and overran my traps and crossbows.

Is it common to have such early sieges? I only recall meeting at worst, raiding groups in the 2nd year.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Year Sieges!?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:50:49 pm »

I don't know but could do with how close you settled to the enemy. Or the overall state of the world you generated.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:54:41 pm »

Your civ was probably at war.

Or it could have been a bandit gang and not a proper invasion at all.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:27:22 pm »

you get attacked MUCH sooner this new version, then you did before.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:29:23 pm »

Especially if you're close to a dark fortress.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:57:46 pm »

You will find 7417 pertinent.

About 3/4 of the way down, you'll see that Toady is looking for saves to help narrow down why first year sieges are happening.

PerfectDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 07:21:25 pm »

Yea, there were no goblin towers/forts near by, some settlements where a few regions away.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was something akin to the goblin dwarf-liaison visit triggering the acceleration for goblins to begin sieges.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:25:42 pm »

Having a goblin for a liaison does not have anything to do with your sieges. At all.
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:01:13 pm »

I had a siege of three Elf Zombies this morning, no necromancer in sight, or even around. It was spring of my second year, just before the usual elves showed up for trade.  The zombies killed some emus, my jeweller, and my guinea hens, then just left.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:36 pm »

I recently had a kobold ambush on the first or second day of summer in my first year. It was two squads (10 kobolds) of fairly wimpy troops, even by kobold standards, with about half being recruits. I only had one soldier when they arrived, but he, a rapidly drafted civilian, and a bunch of untrained dogs managed to handle them, at the cost of 4 dead dogs and the recruit and the other dog being badly injured.

Then on the 7th day of summer, before the injured had even been cleared from the field, a siege of 10 goblins arrived. They were all trained and equipped troops and had no problem at all killing everyone.

So, two attacks before my dwarves had even been on site for 3 full months. And i was trying a no-traps, no-sealing-in embark. Yeah. Fun.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »

My latest fort got 12 goblin visitors the first winter. It did not go well.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 11:08:46 pm »

My current fort gets a lot of harmless wrestler siegers. I wish they would at least have daggers/blowguns. It is kind of a turkey shoot atm.

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 12:13:13 am »

My current fort gets a lot of harmless wrestler siegers. I wish they would at least have daggers/blowguns. It is kind of a turkey shoot atm.

Yeah, mine were guys with crossbows lead by a lasher.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:32:22 am »

I have had more sieges than i could keep track of in my latest fortress.  i have goblins as neighbors and a forest retreat (which is apparently hostile).  I've had several kobold ambushes, a handful of "damn all friends of nature!" elf sieges, once or twice a handful of undead just appeared by themselves, and several goblin sieges.  All before my first migration wave.  It might be that this is a reclaim, but it means i've had to turtle up most of the time.

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:51:40 am »

Ah, alas, I fell victim to this happeneing to me as well; about 1.5 years into my fort was attacked. Had a nice fort being built and starting up about 37 (I had gotten immigrants in the fall and winter )dwarfs and then a small band of 10 showed up up with axes and hammers and lashes, didn't stand a chance as my only weapons so far were 2 axes and 2 picks. Was forced to watch as they made their way down my fortress hacked up the makeshit squad of 10 I threw together while the rest retreated to the dining hall to maybe wait them out. No such luck, after they butchered them they waited around the area, until I couldn't take it. I thought maybe 27 dwarves might be able to take them in such a small space...alas no, they were only fodder and were butchered by their sleeping quarters...

Didn't bother to take back, clean up is a pain and I do enjoy things kept tidy for the most part.
Pages: [1] 2