Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: Vaccine risks vs. benefits, a thorough mathematical consideration  (Read 35901 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccine risks vs. benefits, a thorough mathematical consideration
« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2014, 04:20:49 pm »

Everyone discounted the Autism claim SO HARD Insanegame27 that it isn't even in the discussion.

What is sort of painful about the whole Autism myth is that... Really Autism "Isn't Thaaaat bad"... I mean its bad... but people treat it like the child came out a monster or something "This isn't my son! My son didn't have autism!"

GavJ's argument is that the higher the immunization rates get the less and less lives are saved in general due to herd immunity, so eventually the risk of death from vaccines (we aren't using maiming for example) will eventually outpace the lives we save.

But he admits that he has no idea the harm vaccines do, so he can only pull out hypothetical numbers.

The problem I have is that really... Eradication seems to be better in the long run anyhow... rather then keeping it endemic.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:22:37 pm by Neonivek »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 16, 2014, 04:23:22 pm »

So until we have more research is there enough of a co-relation currently to act upon it?

I don't personally think so, no.

I think that the current data on vaccine trials is sufficient to say that "the optimal rate is > 60%" or something like that. Maybe higher than that, I have to go re-do the math at some point to make sure I didn't make that same UK example error earlier. (But if I did, it wouldn't change the fundamental concept, it would just mean that maybe current data is enough to say that "some amount > 80% is optimal" or whatever.) For measles. In the U.S.  For any other country and disease combo you have to reconsider local numbers.

As far as policy goes, since 90% is above the level that the data confirms as definitely suboptimal, we don't know whether the actual optimal point might be, say, 88% (below current), 90% (right where we are), or upwards all the way to maybe even 100% (should be vaccinating more).

I think we might need less additional data than I originally thought, but definitely still some amount more data.

ANOTHER option might be if some companies can figure out a way to do a safe, doctor-monitored, lower dose allergy test similar to peanut allergy tests that identifies people who might have vaccine reactions for the various adjuvants and combinations thereof, etc., then larger clinical trials may not be necessary.

eradication seems to be better in the long run anyhow

See previous page -- I agree. I'm mainly talking about our optimal strategy while we wait for India and Africa to get even remotely plausibly within eradication levels. I.e. the next maybe 10-30 years.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:26:06 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 16, 2014, 04:32:58 pm »

I have already demonstrated that the current UK rate of 92% (obtained through a policy of universal vaccination) is not high enough.  What more do you want?  Are you just hoping the US will be lucky enough to not get an endemic re-established, in spite of the huge rise in measles cases this year, and in spite of all the other countries that have already gotten endemics back?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 16, 2014, 06:05:50 pm »

I have already demonstrated that the current UK rate of 92% (obtained through a policy of universal vaccination) is not high enough.  What more do you want?  Are you just hoping the US will be lucky enough to not get an endemic re-established, in spite of the huge rise in measles cases this year, and in spite of all the other countries that have already gotten endemics back?

"Being endemic" =/= "Being below the optimal vaccination rate for minimum deaths"

Don't make the same error you just complained about me making one page ago! As you rightfully said before, minimal deaths is the goal. So if the disease is killing, say, 5 people a year endemically, it's still worth not vaccinating to 100% if doing so would kill >5 additional people. If not, then it is worth vaccinating up to 100%. (up until the point when the rest of the world is poised to be able to eradicate).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:46:53 pm by GavJ »

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 16, 2014, 06:25:41 pm »

Except I demonstrated earlier that if you have even relatively minor endemic like in the UK (one death per year) you're absolutely definitely not vaccinating enough, even with very generous assumptions on vaccine mortality.  This same mathematical argument would hold true if there were as few as 0.5 deaths per year in the US from measles (which is highly likely to happen if an endemic takes hold, as it has in other countries with similar vaccination rates.  Indeed, common estimates of measles mortality would say you're already at that point).

Of course, there's also the fact that failing to stop an endemic exposes other countries to re-infection, so at that point you're not just putting people in the US at risk but everyone else on the American continent, particularly Canada.  Doing this deliberately would therefore be a diplomatic matter, you can't simply talk about the interests of the US.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:52 pm »

Currently for measles, vaccinating another 10% of the U.S. would kill <35 extra people a year. How much less than 35? I don't think we have enough data to know. We've only really solidly established with clinical trials that the rate is <1/10,000  (being very generous), so an extra ~350,000 vaccinations is <35 more deaths per year. It could be 0. It could be 32. It could be 7.

I'm not sure how you've "demonstrated earlier" that it's less than 1.

For the CDC's estimate of smallpox vaccine mortality, it would be an extra 0.5. But we don't have enough data to know if MMR is safer or even as safe as the smallpox vaccine. (Or actually, even if that smallpox estimate is correct -- i didn't even look up what their source was, since I was only originally looking it up as evidence of the CDC believing that vaccines can kill people).

If you assume they were correct, based on whatever that was based on.
+ you assume that MMR is safer.
+ you assume that the measles rate this year is going to remain that high in the future
THEN yes, vaccinating to 100% is reasonable.

Lot of assumptions, any single one of which being wrong = different conclusion. and none of which you actually have hard evidence for yet (the first one might have hard evidence, but I'm guessing you didn't look it up yet either)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:52:53 pm by GavJ »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 16, 2014, 07:20:24 pm »

Lot of assumptions, any single one of which being wrong = different conclusion. and none of which you actually have hard evidence for yet (the first one might have hard evidence, but I'm guessing you didn't look it up yet either)

Reasonable.

Currently for measles, vaccinating another 10% of the U.S. would kill <35 extra people a year.

Oh...
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 16, 2014, 07:23:05 pm »

That google page (excepting CDC stuff) is covered with bullshit...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 16, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »

Yes let's just assume that modern vaccines are ONE HUNDRED FUCKING TIMES more deadly than vaccines that contained a live virus from fifty years ago.  That seems completely valid and reasonable.

By the way, we should ban cheese because there are no studies performed on its deadliness and it could kill 1/10 people who eat it.  Or if there are studies (and these studies should contain at least 10,000,000 participants to be sure) then we should ban every type of cheese that wasn't in that specific study because how do we know those results can be extrapolated, even if cheddar doesn't kill anyone maybe brie kills 1/10 people who eat it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:44:33 pm by Leafsnail »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 16, 2014, 07:45:41 pm »

~350,000 vaccinations is <35 more deaths per year

Lets put this in a different perspective.

This means that at 100% vaccination rate. We are killing about <35,000 through vaccines.

That is actually more then Measles did before we vaccinated.

How did we not see that vaccines are so positively deadly? I mean we did trials certainly ONE trial should have found a co-relation between using a vaccine and you just dropping dead on the spot.

In fact that means vaccines kill more people a year then people are murdered in the USA AND is comparable to the total amount of car related fatalities.

WAIT! but we must now compare this to the number of vaccines not just measles. Meaning the actual death rate of vaccines is much MUCH higher.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:59:32 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 16, 2014, 08:08:03 pm »

Oh haha good catch, yeah vaccines are killing literally thousands a year.  Not as many as cheese though, I have analysis that shows that cheese could* be responsible for every single death that occurs every year.

*It's up to you to prove me wrong

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 16, 2014, 08:14:37 pm »

Well... I estimate that means in the United States alone we are killing at LEAST 100,000 people a year by vaccines alone.

Possibly more, but I find it difficult to look at all the vaccinations people use in the USA.

---

Well going by this Leafsnail you must prove that someone ate cheese and died within the week preferably mysteriously.

Though many Americans do eat cheese... everyday.

However, I will say Leafsnail that there IS a co-relation between consumption of cheese and Diabetes. Cheese is actually easy to link to things because its consumption is actually quite trending.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:24:42 pm by Neonivek »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:45 pm »

Yes let's just assume that modern vaccines are ONE HUNDRED FUCKING TIMES more deadly than vaccines that contained a live virus from fifty years ago.
Who is assuming that? As shown, for the united states, using rates from the last 10 years, vaccinating to 100% with equal to a smallpox-level danger (at rate according to CDC) would be a net increase in deaths.

And at rates for 2014, at ~8x the number of measles cases as in recent years, it's STILL a net increase in deaths to vaccinate to 100% with a vaccine like the smallpox one.
(0.5 extra deaths from vaccine versus 0.05*8 = 0.4 fewer deaths from measles from wiping out all of the heightened expected number)

So no, even just being dead equal to the smallpox vaccine danger + even also assuming 800 cases a year instead of the more recent 100-150, vaccinating to 100% would seem non-optimal for the U.S. (it's possible that some number in between 91 and 100 is optimal though).

That being said, YES, it very well MIGHT also be more deadly than estimates of the deadliness of a vaccine that contained live virus from 50 years ago, for all we know:
1) Those estimates might have been too low.
2) The live virus in question was not smallpox, but vaccinia virus. Which is probably indeed much less deadly pound for pound than measles virus.  Yes, it was live and now measles isn't live, but is a more dangerous inactivated measles virus more or less deadly than a less dangerous live vaccinia virus? This is entirely unclear.
3) You don't know whether most of the deaths back then were because of the antigen or the adjuvants, or a combination thereof, or preservative, or a combination of all three, or.... blah blah blah. If you don't know what part of the mixture or what mixture is deadly to begin with, you have no reason to assume that a different ratio mixture of the same stuff is less deadly now. For example, if the adjuvants are actually the main problem, then current vaccines use more of them and could indeed be more harmful than the old ones that had less adjuvant (and fewer kinds) and more antigen.
4) "Oh but they're had 50 years to figure that out" Yes, and have they used that time? Can you actually find any research on vaccine adjuvants (and their combos) versus placebo? I've never seen any. (looking at immune reactions/allergies, not cancer treatment which also aren't usually the same adjuvants anyway) If so, how many participants? Which combos?

I mean we did trials certainly ONE trial should have found a co-relation between using a vaccine and you just dropping dead on the spot.
1) Nobody said anything about "right on the spot."
2) No, a trial with 2,000 people in it is actually far more likely than not to not reveal one single case of death if the rate is at, say 1/10,000 even.
3) Even if a trial does reveal a single case of death almost immediately after (which has indeed happened -- in fact it happens surprisingly often if you actually go read trials), unless they have an autopsy or something that 100% verifies it was vaccine, they generally don't treat it as a case basis, but instead would report it as statistically insignificant given the power of the study, and the trial would pass. (I don't disagree with this analysis decision, by the way -- I only disagree with the number of participants they are allowed to get away with running)
4) There ARE additionally many many many more cases reported to VAERS every year about people dropping dead almost right on the spot after getting vaccines. I quoted several of them a couple of pages back. Go back and look at them. Are they from vaccines? Maybe maybe not. The world is not so simple that you can just look at a case and say "Oh yup, clearly vaccines" or not usually. The people who are most vulnerable to reactions are going to be people who are already sick with other things that make it unclear what they died of, for example. Also infants, who can't tell you what theyre feeling, or who you might just find dead in their crib hours later? Vaccine respiratory problems? Or just unrelated SIDS from... whatever causes SIDS? Impossible to say in an individual case. Or somebody dies of "sepsis" -- was it actual sepsis from an infection from something they ate or whatever? Or was is a blood reaction to vaccine? Unclear. That's why you need statistics, combined with enough participants in order to detect MANY cases above the average rate in order at a significant ratio, without having to actually argue over every individual situation. If you're looking for, say,a  1/10,000 rate, you need to run many tens of thousands of participants in trials for this reason. We haven't even done that, and what we need to look for is even smaller than 1/10,000.

By the way, we should ban cheese
1) I don't recall ever saying once in this entire thread that anybody should ban vaccines.
2) I'm not aware of any laws that mandate you eat cheese in order to be allowed to attend public school.
3) Do you have a citation from the CDC citing a rate of 1.1 deaths per million people eating cheese in the 1960s that we need to consider whether or not we have improved on since then? Do you have a cheese reporting system with dozens of vague, plausible cheese-related deaths reported every year and estimates from the CDC that >10x as many would be reported with full participation? Do you have admissions from cheese manufacturers that their products may cause deaths?
4) Cheese has an entirely different and vastly more complicated benefits side to the equation. So even if it does kill a bunch of people, how are you quantifying whether its benefits outweigh that or not?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:58:42 pm by GavJ »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 16, 2014, 08:59:37 pm »

Yes, it was live and now measles isn't live, but is a more dangerous inactivated measles virus more or less deadly than a less dangerous live vaccinia virus? This is entirely unclear

Inactivated is incapable of hurting you with measles.

And if Inactivated is hurting you, it is doing so in a way that activated would do.

Why is your body reacting to one virus more then another virus that it cannot tell the difference between?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 16, 2014, 09:06:30 pm »

Inactivated is incapable of hurting you with measles.
Says who?

It obviously will tend to do less harm than the same exact activated virus of the same type, yes. I don't know where you're getting "no harm."
Keep in mind that it's designed to do stuff, not be inert -- it's supposed to stimulate an immune response. Also keep in mind that most reported incidents are of a type consistent with overly aggressive immune responses.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32