Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Minecraft 1.8: Oceanic Ruins, Bunnies & More! - Survival Multiplayer  (Read 18152 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft 1.8: Oceanic Ruins, Bunnies & More! - Survival Multiplayer
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2014, 02:19:19 pm »

eyy
ptw i guess
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2014, 05:02:00 am »

I've just joined, logged in, had a look around. That starting house is beautiful and very useful, but I ended up logging off because it's not so much fun to play alone (otherwise I'd just play single player). Time zones, yay!

I have a question: I saw references to a map on the subreddit while I was looking through it, but I can't find any link to it. Is there a map? If so, can someone send me a link? One of the reasons I often give up on multiplayer servers is that I spend so much time wandering around looking for a good place to start, I get bored or frustrated and lose interest. A map would be very helpful.

Also, where are you guys spending time in the game? Is there something I should help with, or should I just try to set myself up a little hermitage and see how long I can stay alive? I should probably note that I'm not a terribly skilled builder, and I'm interested more in playing the game than in building with creative mode. So if you're all focusing on creative-building your spawn towns and whatnot, I may pass on this server until you've finished all that.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2014, 02:51:22 pm »

I've just joined, logged in, had a look around. That starting house is beautiful and very useful, but I ended up logging off because it's not so much fun to play alone (otherwise I'd just play single player). Time zones, yay!

I have a question: I saw references to a map on the subreddit while I was looking through it, but I can't find any link to it. Is there a map? If so, can someone send me a link? One of the reasons I often give up on multiplayer servers is that I spend so much time wandering around looking for a good place to start, I get bored or frustrated and lose interest. A map would be very helpful.

Also, where are you guys spending time in the game? Is there something I should help with, or should I just try to set myself up a little hermitage and see how long I can stay alive? I should probably note that I'm not a terribly skilled builder, and I'm interested more in playing the game than in building with creative mode. So if you're all focusing on creative-building your spawn towns and whatnot, I may pass on this server until you've finished all that.

Yeah our 'business' hours are between 5:00 PM and 2:00 AM GMT although, the wealth of new releases this month have been bleeding our population dry *shakes a fist in futile rage at Beyond Earth*. We usually have someone on who can direct you to the map, at least that's true for those people not playing at ungodly hours of the night  ;) I did post a link to it in the latest update, however.

A lot of our players are very established at this point, they have farms upon farms upon farms (All Farms) farms for daysssssss. They have lordly piles of food, tools, materials, armor and weapons and survival has become a non-issue for them, they are thriving. They spend their time improving their personal towns and outposts, concocting ever more elaborately absurd contraptions and exploring new frontiers to simply throw it all away and start anew in a fresh location. However, We have new people joining all the time and it's possible to collaborate with them in some mutual survival hijinks.

Our spawn project is actually built largely in survival mode (as that's our players preferred mode) and only two structures were constructed in creative (Tavern and Inn) and they were the result of special group events intended to foster community togetherness. The majority of buildings in the project are contributed by individual players when they are in-between their own projects and out of their own personal materials. I don't expect the spawn project to ever be truly "finished" as I expect it to grow and evolve organically as new players join and contribute their stories to the project's enduring legacy. It will eventually reach some state of feature completeness but, I don't see it as a museum piece, something that is finalized, framed and hung on a wall to be viewed but not touched. I see it as something to be worn, lived-in and used--perpetually sculpted by it's purpose and function and the needs of it's patrons. In a sense I see it as a manuscript of the history of our world, an almanac written in constructions.

If you want to set off and stake a claim of you can call your own, we have endless frontiers to explore and tame. if you're into grunt labor, infrastructure is something we can never get enough of, laying down some cobble road or improving the rail system doesn't require an artist's talented hand. In addition to our spawn project, all of our players would welcome your contributions to the countless (really, I can't even keep track anymore) personal projects they have going on. We got a very friendly group who love playing with other people and company in any endeavor is always welcome. Really, the easiest way to find something to do in our world is to simply ask, "Hey, what are you guys working on?"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:53:07 pm by evilnancyreagan »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »

I suppose Spire Bay's become that 'spooky old abandoned place on the coast', hasn't it? :V

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2014, 04:11:21 pm »

Nah, Star is making a Railway station to it. I was considering trucking up there and building something.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2014, 04:25:56 pm »

I was contemplating adding a temple or a proper town or something, but once again, still a bit gunshy about reinstalling java and MC.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2014, 04:26:41 pm »

Too bad. You're the unofficial lord of the spire :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2014, 12:42:48 pm »

how often does the map update?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2014, 12:46:05 pm »

It used to be once every Friday, not sure if it still is given its rather big size.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:46 pm »

It used to be once every Friday, not sure if it still is given its rather big size.

yeah, it was every Friday on the old host. The new host was supposed to do automated, nightly updates, the new host is a liar and a no-good cheating varmint.

I'm still doing manual map updates, I'll push out a new one after this weekend on either Monday or Tuesday.  ;D

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »

SURVIVAL HELL
Spoiler: Custom World (click to show/hide)
  • No Regeneration: Potions and beacons only!
  • No Cheap F3 Debug Info: Use maps, compasses and landmarks!
  • Desolate Lands: Barren plant-life struggle for survival!
  • Molten Oceans: The floor is lava!
  • Scarce & Redistributed Ores: A post-cataclysmic world!
  • Floating Islands: Moving on up!
  • Unique Challenges: Climb, bridge and think outside the blocks to thrive.
To keep up with demand, we've migrated our classic Pioneering Frontiers world to even beefier hardware and to celebrate we're hosting this special event! There are no mods required for you to download and install, simply fire up Minecraft and connected with the usual IP. Whether you're a regular, brand new or a long-time casual contributor, be sure to check out the festivities before they're over. Groovy!

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2014, 11:28:44 am »

i'll be almost sad to see this one end.  managed to trap 1 bunny.  gbtw and i just missed a cow. and built a secure room in the nether.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:52 pm »

i'll be almost sad to see this one end.  managed to trap 1 bunny.  gbtw and i just missed a cow. and built a secure room in the nether.

Yeah, it was a lot of fun and I'd be inclined to host it for an extended period of time however, I hate how it divides the  community between two separate servers. Eventually I'd like to host multiple worlds on a single server and connect them together with mods like Multiverse or something similar.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2014, 02:59:47 pm »

Y'know, that was almost enough to tempt me to reinstall Minecraft. But eh, effort and Civ V addiction.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »

Yeah, it was a lot of fun and I'd be inclined to host it for an extended period of time however, I hate how it divides the  community between two separate servers. Eventually I'd like to host multiple worlds on a single server and connect them together with mods like Multiverse or something similar.

if was fun while it lasted and while these survival worlds are 'fun' to visit, i wouldn't want to live there.

i think with everyone involved and over several days, our total iron harvesting totaled to 5 bars.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11