Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Saber Team attack the alien ship?

Attack head on
- 1 (33.3%)
Hide behind an asteroid
- 2 (66.7%)
Other (Specify in a reply)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Project Blackbox [6/6]  (Read 8480 times)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Project Blackbox [6/6]
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2014, 02:15:18 pm »

"Hmm, I'd like the M60, it's a classic and I want it. I'm also gonna grab the LAW, if you don't mind. Here's my Saw, sound like a good trade, not used, hopefully these arms will remedy this... lack, of explosives."

After I grab these, head to the target range and test them out.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »

Head to the barracks and catch some downtime before the next mission.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »

Spoiler: Frankowski (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bones (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bridger (click to show/hide)

((I'm not waiting up this time.))

ONE WEEK LATER - BASE BRIEFING ROOM

You file into the air-conditioned briefing room. A huge monitor takes up the entirety of one wall, and the rest are bare. You take your seats, along with the rest of the support crew - pilots, recon troops, even a few artillerymen. Colonel Wilkins, a tall, grey-haired man with a limp, moves to the podium directly left of the screen and clears his throat.

"Ahem. Alright, gentlemen, let's get down to brass tacks. I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that we've managed to decrypt the alien language after a happy accident. An intern in one of the labs knocked a captured computer off the table, and then a hologram started playing. After that it was a simple matter of running it through the new Rosetta 4 system. The bad news is that the aliens intend to make first contact within one year. Under normal circumstances we'd welcome that, but these slimy frogmen intend to make Earth a vassal-state for their puny intergalactic 'empire'. Now, the lab boys managed to figure out another thing from the downed craft-it's drive system. It got here by way of FTL travel, using a method we honestly had no idea existed. More importantly, however, we've reverse-engineered the system. This is where it gets relevant to your upcoming assignment, so listen up. More intercepted chatter seems to indicate that a recon vessel is entering this sector. It's sitting in the asteroid belt, performing signals analysis. Ordinarily, we'd be unable to get anything out there in time to interdict that ship. However, we've strapped a bunch of those reverse-engineered drives to an experimental weaponized NASA design. Saber team, your job is to intercept that ship and capture its crew. We'll be liasing with NASA to get pilots for this one. Alright, that's the end of my rant. The floor is open for questions."
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »

"Two questions, sir. First, how are you wanting us to handle recovery and captives? Second, are we planning some sort of empire of our own, here?"

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:48 pm »

"How much time will we have to get ready? I'll need to change my equipment. My current bombs are too large, using them on a spaceship would kill us all."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:54:51 pm by Again_Dejavu »
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2014, 07:51:27 pm »

"Yeah, that's another thing. Don't we need training or something for this? I've got no clue if guns even work in space."

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2014, 08:04:31 pm »

Wilkins nods.

"First off, you'll be going in with Tasers and stun guns in addition to your normal armament. We don't yet know enough about their physiology to concoct any sort of tranquilizer. Second, no empire building of our own-at least not yet. Our new objective is to obtain enough tech so as to enable Earth to resist any attempts at conquest. Third, don't you worry about having to use guns in space. You'll be boarding their ship directly, airlock to airlock, after the pilot disables it. Their ships, from what we can tell, are pressurized, so your guns will work. You will, however, be wearing light, combat-designed space suits in case of a hull breach. You will be trained on how to operate them, but its a crash course. Few days maximum. Don't expect full mobility. Use that time to swap out any gear you don't need. This will be a close-quarters affair. Oh, and another thing-the suits have magnetic lock boots, so you won't have to worry about the recoil in zero-g. Unfortunately, no nation on Earth has an orbital firearms range, so this will be on-the-job training for you all. Any more questions?"
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »

"Aw, hell, close quarters? If we have magnetic boots, sir, that means we can walk out on the hull? And just how stealthy are these suits?"

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2014, 08:20:38 pm »

Wilkins nods.

"You could, but I don't recommend it. You're only getting a few days training with the suits, and I don't think the pilots particularly want to pick you up if you go tumbling off into space. Oh, and stealth really doesn't factor into it if you're on the hull-the boots will come down pretty hard when magnetized, and that'll make a hell of a racket on the inside depending on how thick the hull is. Inside, you can take your chances with zero-g maneuvers, but when powered on the boots do make a bit of noise. If you want to be stealthy I would advise going in slow and with the boots on at low strength-any sudden maneuvers on the part of the other ship and you'll go flying, but you'll be able to move more quietly. And, ideally, the other ship's engines are out anyway."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2014, 08:22:40 pm »

"Aye, sir. Full authorization, this time?"

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2014, 08:27:01 pm »

Wilkins chuckles.

"Hell, it's not like I can stop you from doing anything, can I? We've got the FTL engines working, but not the comms, so I can't really give you any orders once you're up there. Better to ask forgiveness, at least this time around. You have authorization to do whatever it takes to get that ship under human control. Any more questions?"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2014, 08:29:44 pm »

"Any tips on the alien technology the boys could hook us up with? I'm thinking we'll probably need to do some hijacking, if possible, and if not, I'd rather the laser turrets weren't a mystery."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2014, 08:30:57 pm »

Aedan shrugs and leans back to wait for the briefing to finish.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2014, 08:38:59 pm »

"Well, as far as we can tell the ship is very similar to the one you just encountered. That means no on-board defenses, and only minimal crew armament. The frogs we found were armed with what we guess is their equivalent of our service pistols. Very basic stuff, light weaponry. We are unsure as to the nature of the projectiles they fire, though, as the weapons we found were far too banged up to test ourselves. Our best guess is some kind of light laser weapon, but if it is then their miniaturization tech is light-years ahead of ours. Whatever it is, try not to expose yourselves to enemy fire too much. If you do, however, make sure your helmet cams are on and recording. The data could be invaluable."

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2014, 08:41:53 pm »

Sven chuckles
"I'll keep that in mind"
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16