Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a forum here I can request some tech support on?  (Read 552 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a forum here I can request some tech support on?
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:41:26 pm »

Not specifically for the game, my laptop's display stopped working for whatever reason and I can't seem to get it to display on an external monitor using an HDMI cable either. I tried hitting Fn+F5 to make it switch the display to the LCD monitor/tv, and the laptop still seems to be working (it turns on and off, the power, battery charging, processor in use and another light are all on at the appropriate times), but nothing I have tried can get any kind of display to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem? I'd love to continue my fortress but I can't play what I can't see!

Thanks much in advance

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a forum here I can request some tech support on?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:09:16 pm »

Ah yes, the Zen conduct. Play the game while blindfolded. Very difficult.

Seriously, though, it sounds like your graphics card has died. If that's the case, there's probably no simple fix. Is it still under warranty?

I've replaced a graphics card on a laptop, but it's non-trivial. Depending on the model, you might be able to find instructions online. HP has technical manuals online for the laptops I've owned from them, with step-by-step instructions for replacing various modules. Not all manufacturers do that. It's one reason why I mainly buy HP laptops. But there are instructions by other people for many computers, even if the manufacturer isn't as helpful. It usually involves removing lots of screws in the correct order, pulling parts that feel like they're going to break but don't quite, plus disconnecting and reconnecting some tiny cable connections. If you haven't done much of that sort of thing, it might be a bit daunting. Plus you have to figure out what graphics card your laptop came with, and manage to find one. Figuring out what it has is best done by doing web searches, as is finding a replacement.

Or you could take it in to a repair shop.

Sorry that I can't offer an easy solution,

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:11:27 pm »

The Life Advice forum might be of some assistance. 
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cheiftain121

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:46:43 am »

(if your laptop turns on and it's just complete black screen) I had a problem like this before, it either your graphics card or like in my case the motherboard, so you should probably take to a repair shop and hope its not the motherboard.