Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's Read Boatmurdered  (Read 5778 times)

drageuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Read Boatmurdered
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

Hello everyone.  With the new edition of Dwarf Fort up, I thought it was time to retell one of the older and more legendary stories.  So I've been doing a dramatic reading of Boatmurdered, over on youtube.

I'm 6 years into it, and doing another year every day.  I'm already past the rule of Stark Raving Mad, and things are starting to get good.

You can find the playlist Here.  I hope you all like this, and that it brings back good memories, and inspires even more chaos and magma flooding in your games!

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Read Boatmurdered
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:50:35 pm »

(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:48:39 pm »

You have a very good voice for this, good pacing, too.  I read well, but I sound permanently congested.  People are always asking if I have a cold.  Subbed!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »

I concur, very good reading voice and pacing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:55 pm »

oh boi.  I spend all day in classes listening to music or youtube videos, so this is awesome.  I blow through 4 to 6 hours of footage a day on the really bad ones.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

drageuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 02:56:20 pm »

Thanks everyone!  I'm really glad everyone's enjoying my work, it's a real pleasure to read this lovely old tale.

Today's episode is up!  It marks the completion of Project: Fuck The World, and the official first of many of Boatmurdered's magma baths.

Tomorrow's episode is the rule of Astronautonomicon

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:09:41 pm »

Yes, yes, yes. Yes and yes, yes, yes.

You have a wonderful "radio announcer"-esque voice that makes the series really enticing. This is a very beautiful idea.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 01:02:47 am »

What an excellent way for me to learn the tale of Boatmurdered without any of that tiresome "reading" business. Thank you.

drageuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:52:12 pm »

Today's episode is... weird.  And only loosely canon.  But it's hopefully at least entertaining.

I'm glad to hear that some of you are hearing this story for the first time!  New listeners is what keeps a story alive and circulating, and I'm proud to help perpetuate this one.

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 04:15:10 pm »

Quite a good voiceover.

I was just expecting it to be akin to the notorious voiceovers for Quarter Life: Half-Way To Destruction and Half Life 2: Full Life Consequences.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

drageuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 05:01:31 pm »

Quite a good voiceover.

I was just expecting it to be akin to the notorious voiceovers for Quarter Life: Half-Way To Destruction and Half Life 2: Full Life Consequences.

Thank you :)

To be fair, I'm not sure I could do a better job with Half Life Full Life Consequences.  Voicework can only go so far with content that bad.  Plus, I don't have Gary's Mod.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »

This is great! I'm a fan of how you had the relevant images in the background, that must have taken lots of time. I also like how some rulers have different ways of speaking to show their diverse personalities where a less adventurous voice actor would have just maintained a flat tempo.
I think the only criticism I have is that in StarkRavingMad's case your accent is actually TOO smooth. I always pictured StarkRavingMad as being near perpetually teetering on the brink of rage with a guttural, colloquial accent such as Scottish or cockney. Sure that would be tricky since you have a defined and smooth American accent but I'm just nitpicking.

You sir are doing justice to the most famous and infamous fortresses of all time.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

drageuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 05:47:49 pm »

I think the only criticism I have is that in StarkRavingMad's case your accent is actually TOO smooth. I always pictured StarkRavingMad as being near perpetually teetering on the brink of rage with a guttural, colloquial accent such as Scottish or cockney. Sure that would be tricky since you have a defined and smooth American accent but I'm just nitpicking.

Stark Raving Mad was modeling his writing style off of Deadwood's Al Swearengen.  I tried, and couldn't quite manage a Swearengen impression, but I did try and stick fairly close to the cadence and tone.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 02:20:32 am »

Stark Raving Mad was modeling his writing style off of Deadwood's Al Swearengen.  I tried, and couldn't quite manage a Swearengen impression, but I did try and stick fairly close to the cadence and tone.

That explains a lot! Never seen Deadwood before (yes it is quite uncomfortable living under this rock thanks for asking) but that does solve the mystery of why he uses the word cocksucker so often. Anyway time to listen to the rest!
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

drageuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 01:20:54 pm »

Today's episode is up!  It almost seems laid back compared to yesterday's.  But that also means it's a lot less 'experimental.'

Tomorrow's episode is Cross Quantum, the last canonical/complete ruler of Boatmurdered's first thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3