Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 0.40.10 - So how's the game doing?  (Read 1899 times)

Erithtotl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
0.40.10 - So how's the game doing?
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:56:10 am »

Sorry to post another one of these....

Long time DF player.

I keep planning to get going on a fort as each new update comes out, but get distracted.

I traditionally play fortress mode only.

How are we stability/bug wise?  Is this a good time to start?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.40.10 - So how's the game doing?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:41 am »

If you want fort mode only yes, the updates are very fun.
However there's still a bug that causes goblins to single handedly whipe out your civilisation while you're in fort mode.
It doesnt affect your fort directly in most cases...

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:09:40 am »

Sorry to post another one of these....

Long time DF player.

I keep planning to get going on a fort as each new update comes out, but get distracted.

I traditionally play fortress mode only.

How are we stability/bug wise?  Is this a good time to start?

Yep, a lot of the most annoying things are finally fixed - morale being the biggest complaint. Everyone fleeing and weeping from a dead badger got old pretty quick. It's quite stable as far as bugs/crashes are concerned, you get sieges and wildlife again, entity range is fixed.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:04:54 pm »

It's pretty stable. Morale is no longer debilitating, but it is still far from perfect. (My hunter flees before giant chinchillas and became a sobbing wreck at the sight of a dead kobold) Everything else is working pretty well.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

ink_runner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »

After the last update (.10) it's fairly stable, even compatible with some old saves.

Kluten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »

There is some things that still annoy me:

1: No matter how many caravans of merchant i slaughter they dont siege me or tag me under war

2: I still havent seend a goblin siege thats bigger than 15 goblins. Even tho i have 100+ dwarves.

3: Thiefs? Where are you? I have children i want to get rid of.

4: The Kobold ambush lasts for 1 second then they just flee

5: Too few challenging forgotten beast (Dunno if lucky or not)

6: I feel that civilizations get wiped out too fast. My world seems empty for dwarves and goblins for some reason.

7: I've seen a goblin siege with ONLY recruits. (What?)

8: Dont know if bug or not, but when i disarm a caged goblin for then to throw him down a pit. He just escapes and kills alot of dwarves (worked in .14)

Everything else is Awesome!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:23:58 pm »

It's pretty stable. Morale is no longer debilitating, but it is still far from perfect. (My hunter flees before giant chinchillas and became a sobbing wreck at the sight of a dead kobold) Everything else is working pretty well.

That's fairly reasonable though. Giant critters are killing machines and a sentient corpse is well, some dead guy. I can see both of those getting to regular dwarves or recruits. As long as hardened veterans don't freak out over that kind of thing I have no complaints.

1: No matter how many caravans of merchant i slaughter they dont siege me or tag me under war

If no one lives to tell about it the rumours don't get back to the civ, I imagine. I have no idea how you would go about starting a war in the newest version. Adventure mode?

Oblique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 01:30:04 pm »

My hunter flees before giant chinchillas and became a sobbing wreck at the sight of a dead kobold

Of course, there's always the possibility that your hunter is simply a pansy...  ;D

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:36 pm »

Is there a problem with farming in the new update because I used to be able to feed 200+ Dwarves with just a 10 by 10 plot, but now I can't feed 14 with the same size?

EDIT: Also, is Dwarf Therapist working with the new version and where can I get it?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:18:43 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:05:53 pm »

That's fairly reasonable though. Giant critters are killing machines and a sentient corpse is well, some dead guy. I can see both of those getting to regular dwarves or recruits. As long as hardened veterans don't freak out over that kind of thing I have no complaints.

If no one lives to tell about it the rumours don't get back to the civ, I imagine. I have no idea how you would go about starting a war in the newest version. Adventure mode?

It probably needs more context though. If a hunter is going to be scared by the passive beasts their trying to hunt it makes no sense for them to go hunting in the first place and/or there needs to be a training method for that sort of thing beyond recruiting them to the military. Another associated complaint would be that corpses in a corpse stockpile can cause something, but it shouldn't be horror. Like it behaves oddly when the dwarf is carrying a goblin corpse, enters a coprse stockpile, then freaks out at the corpse that's exactly like the one they're carrying.

If military recruits are going to be scared vs a goblin invasion I think that's fine to me, I think that part is working well. It just behaves oddly with a few things like hunters and stockpiles.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »

New version is definitely something to look forward to :) If you're worried about discipline then you can always mod in NATURAL_SKILL. If you're worried about magma crabs you can always mod out their FIREIMMUNE. The only things that I'm watching now are "90% of embark animals are sterile" and "butchered yak hair reanimates with 0 mass and is indestructible". But if you stay out of evil regions then I think you'll be all right :)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 06:36:19 pm »

Is there a problem with farming in the new update because I used to be able to feed 200+ Dwarves with just a 10 by 10 plot, but now I can't feed 14 with the same size?

100 tiles of farm is way more than enough for 14 dwarves.  You're doing something wrong.  (The first thing you're doing wrong is having a single 100-tile plot instead of ten 10-tile plots, for crop diversity.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 06:44:58 pm »

Not just crop diversity, one angry dwarf could destroy your only plot.  Small plots are better.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »

I think I've found the problem; it's the farmers, not the farms. I have 50 seeds, but they don't want to plant it. Also, I'd normally go with crop diversity but I'm only setting up my staple food supplies, plump helmets for booze and a bit of diversity in food, and turkey eggs for food. I'm going to try using a smaller plot to see if it helps get the farmers to work.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 07:48:41 pm »

If you want fort mode only yes, the updates are very fun.
However there's still a bug that causes goblins to single handedly whipe out your civilisation while you're in fort mode.
It doesnt affect your fort directly in most cases...

Is this why when I have a Mountainhome that is at war with goblins, I invariably get the "No Liaison" message when the caravan comes?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2