Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast spawn, at your entrance!  (Read 1355 times)

thraxarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeast spawn, at your entrance!
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:09:49 pm »

I noticed that in one game, I was having were beasts "arriving" not far from the entrance of my fort. It gave me no time to even recall any dwarves in, or the livestock. Don't they usually show up a bit further from the center?

The entrance is very close to where the wagon was on embarkation. Maybe I need some fortifications to slow entering groups? If the were beast is actually silently creeping up, or does it just get deposited?

I ended up annoyed I actually closed the game down to re-load from the last save (yeah yeah), but it happened again! Maybe if I did it enough I could build a wall around where he "appears" if he is just deposited.

Getting tongued to death by a giant were-anteater is just annoying.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeast spawn, at your entrance!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:13:54 pm »

They start at the edge of the map, like any other invader.

It's just that when they do arrive on the map, they are sneaking, and you are only notified of them once they get caught.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:59 pm »

It's a good idea to pasture expendable animals like poults or puppies at locations scattered around your fort for earlier warning of this sort of thing. There was a thread a few years ago (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79133.0) about putting animals in watchtowers so they don't get killed off. Another brilliant idea from Girlinhat.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:30:29 pm »

Hunting dogs may be best as watchmen as they apparently have higher perception to spot sneaking opponents than war dogs. I have so many dogs that they are expendable, so i have hunting dogs chained up around the edges of my map to spot ambushes. I also assign a hunting dog and 2 war dogs to my perimeter patrol.

"A hunting animal notices creatures from farther away." -Toady One

thraxarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:40:33 pm »

Ah, of course. That would explain the last one where the were-skunk announced itself already inside the fort and past the traps. The bastard!

Dwarves don't use Canaries in the coal mines, they use ducks outside to alert them of were-beasts.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

Ah, of course. That would explain the last one where the were-skunk announced itself already inside the fort and past the traps. The bastard!

I hate to think of what your fort smelled like after the were-skunk "announced" itself!

Peeee-Ew!

There's only two ways to get that smell out of your fort. Either wash the entire fort with tomato juice, or wash it with magma.

Keith
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:45:59 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

Another pretty good way to detect intruders (it'll also make intruders very dead) is to place your barracks in the entrance and have your best squad training there. I nearly always have 2 of the starting 7 career military, and start them training very early, so my fortress entrance is permanently secured against intruders.

In principle, intruders can sneak past military dwarves unless they nearly bump into them, however Observer skill increases very quickly during training, so the squad will have very good detection rate before any threats start turning up.

As I recruit more dwarves for the military, I put additional squads at the entrance barracks. Normally only the most elite ones will actually be used to engage sieges/ambushes while the weaker ones get to devote their time to training and not resting in the hospital/afterlife. This means that there will always be some dwarves training at the entrance even while the military is engaged with (other) invaders. While you really want elite dwarves to deal with werebeasts and the like, even a newbie with armor and shield can absorb a great deal of damage - much more than a soft squishy hauler can.

The other very effective thing is just putting everyone who isn't military/miners, in marksdwarf squads and arming them and giving them a shield and perhaps some body armor (helmet, mail shirt, gauntlets, high boots is a fair compromise on protection vs weight). They used to be great, but even with cowardice in .40 they'll still take a few pot shots at the intruder, and the shield helps A LOT as it might block upwards of 60% of attacks, further delaying the intruder from doing any harm while the real military runs to the scene, if in addition you armor them they'll normally survive random attacks instead of normally dying.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:40:27 am »

I hate to think of what your fort smelled like after the were-skunk "announced" itself!

Peeee-Ew!

There's only two ways to get that smell out of your fort. Either was the entire fort with tomato juice, or wash it with magma.
And we're all out of tomato juice.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?