Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why am I unable to see prices of any items in the trade menu  (Read 1354 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why am I unable to see prices of any items in the trade menu
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:46:16 pm »

Hi all!

Why am I unable to see prices of any items in the trade menu? Is it ok?

Thanks in advance.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: Why am I unable to see prices of any items in the trade menu
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:22:05 pm »

The dwarf engaged in trade just doesn't have any skill in appraising - he has no clue what anything there is worth. Perfectly normal for your first caravan.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:23:11 pm »

The dwarf engaged in trade just doesn't have any skill in appraising - he has no clue what anything there is worth. Perfectly normal for your first caravan.
Yup.

Make a physical list of you what want to buy and what you are selling and look up prices until you get the flow of it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Darulio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:43:52 pm »

You can just assign any random dwarf as a broker, brink him to the depot, and enter the trade menu. After leaving it, my broker usually magically gains appraiser skill, unless this was removed.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:00:43 pm »

What I do is make a small trade, using a best estimate on value.  Then exi trading, and go back in, and do another.  It usually will give at least basic appraisal skills.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:45:45 am »

Or if you have enough spare stuff, just trade at an obviously over the top profit for them, and they'll bring even more next year
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:17:19 am »

You can just assign any random dwarf as a broker, brink him to the depot, and enter the trade menu. After leaving it, my broker usually magically gains appraiser skill, unless this was removed.

Nope, it's still there. My broker is now a Master appraiser after years of big trades.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 03:40:13 am »

Nope, it's still there. My broker is now a Master appraiser after years of big trades.

And it's definitely THIS broker that's trading? You haven't accidentally allowed anyone to trade?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 08:05:58 am »

First, trading does not improve the appraiser skill; only opening the trade menu for the first time each caravan does. (Trading trains other interpersonal skills, though).

Second, the valuation is determined by your broker's appraiser skill, not the dwarf who is actually conducting the trading. You can reassign the position of broker to whichever dwarf has the highest appraiser skill.

Third, if you have a broker with appraiser skill and still see no item values, it's probably a bug.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:27 am »

And it's definitely THIS broker that's trading? You haven't accidentally allowed anyone to trade?
Read the thread again - he was just confirming the existence of a feature (broker gains Appraiser skill from viewing trades) and is not the guy experiencing the original problem.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 08:55:48 am »

Read the thread again - he was just confirming the existence of a feature (broker gains Appraiser skill from viewing trades) and is not the guy experiencing the original problem.

I really need to start reading the names of authors here