Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Hidden Agenda: A Post-Revolutionary Forum Game [5/5]  (Read 9289 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden Agenda: A Post-Revolutionary Forum Game [5/5]
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:53 pm »

EDIT: to the user below me exterior was not taken and by laws of first come first serve, you are now the minister of the exterior. Congratulations.
I don't actually do first come, first serve. Usually. This time I will, because everything solved itself so nicely.

I'll start the game soonish.

(Didn't notice two pages, so i'll waitlist, what do the TMC and IMF do)
The IMF is the international Monetary Fund, and the TNC is the transnational corporation.

One gives loans to bankrupt nations (Chimerica is), the other is a representative of the interest of Multinational Corporations in Chimerica.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:22:33 pm by 10ebbor10 »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »

IMF= Banks for national governments
And TNC= Super Walmart led by not chimericans.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »

After the expulsion of the Tyrant Farsante in 1979, the new revolutionary powers found themselves at odds with the estabilished powers. In order to prevent a bloody civil war, a military Junta was formed, headed by Miguel Aivanez. In order to find a stable government, the ministerial posts were divided evenly between the Conservative party of Chimerica, and the more diplomatic elements of the revolutionary movement. Wherether this government could withstand internal struggle, and outside pressure remained to be seen.

Encyclopedia PaxAmericana (US Tricentennial Edition)

Events

Nothing of note. Well, despite overthrowing a Tyrant.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:13:34 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 02:53:06 am »

Question; What is the advantages of doing things publicially? If I do things hidden, will I be the only one able to vote (unless it becomes a crisis afterwards)?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 03:05:41 am »

Question; What is the advantages of doing things publicially? If I do things hidden, will I be the only one able to vote (unless it becomes a crisis afterwards)?
If you do things hidden, you're the only one who gets to decide. The advantage of doing things in public is that the action has more effect, and that you force others to react upon the action.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:11:17 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 07:04:12 am »

Oh... I am late... PTWing then
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 09:11:38 am »

Dry Season: 1980

News

US resumes Military Aid

In a brief statement today, US Ambassador Buffard has announced that the US has decided to resume shipments of military aid that were temporarily suspended last year. Arrangement for the delivery of these goods is being made with Colonel Horacio Erlich.

Various Chimerican politicians and other figures, including Sub-Commandante Correa, have announced that they consider this a breach of Chimerican Independence and that the US should have contacted the civilian government before resuming aid.

Events

- Food crisis [Internal | Agriculture]

Thousands of urban residents, both workers and unemployed, march through the streets of Poyais, protesting skyrocketing food prices.  Over the span of a few weeks, basic food prices, such as beans, have increased almost five-fold to ten-fold. Many workers, even those with good jobs, can now just barely afford to provide for their families. For the poor and unemployed, corn and beans are now a luxury food.
Union leaders participating in the protest, are demanding that the government institutes price controls before food becomes unaffordable.

Shopkeepers however are warning that the institution of price controls will do nothing to resolve the primary cause of the rising prices, which are the general decline of Chimerican food production and inadequate infrastructure preventing the transport of food towards the cities. They note that the implementation of price controls will further reduce food production in a country that already suffers from severe food shortages.

- Farsante's Land [Agriculture]

When the dictator Farsante was deposed, his lands were seized. Over the last few decades the Farsante family had succeeded in establishing it's control over a large part of the arable land in the country, with wide estates in the fertile valley's, and smaller patches in the gently rolling hills. There're questions about what needs to be done with the land. Some argue that the majority should be sold, providing the state with severely needed revenue, and additional revenue from the sale of the cotton and coffee that will likely be planted upon them.

Other argue that the fields should be given to small coffee producers, which they argue could better make use of the land. As the price and yields of coffee are higher compared to cotton, the government might see more revenue .

Lastly, some argue that the land should be used to support the land reform Program, one of the demands of the revolution. Others note that it is unlikely that small farmers can effectively manage these large estates, and thus suggest that the government should maintain a managerial role and use the farms as large, communal state farms.

- Land Reform [Agriculture]

Land Reform was one of the key demands of the revolution. The rich own more than 60% of the arable land in Chimerica, and almost all of the most fertile land in the valley's of the country. These vast plantations are important for the production of cotton, Chimerica's primary export crop. The hills where coffee is grown don't lend themselves well to these large plantations, so there land ownership is more even. Though Chimerica's social elite still exerts considerable influence, a large group of small to medium scale coffee producers exists.

This all has resulted that the Campensino's, the small farmers upon which Chimerica relies for it's food consumption, are forced to work upon the more isolated and infertile lands of the country, where infrastructure is practically non-existent.

The campensino's are demanding that they are granted their former lands in the valley's (mostly bought or forcibly seized from them during Farsante's reign) . This is opposed by the current owners of those lands, who say that the Campensino's have no idea how to manage these lands, and warn of dropping revenue and yields.

- The National Re-unification Army [Military]

The National Re-Unification Army was a bold experiment that involved the integration of the Revolutionary Army, and the Chimerica's traditional army under the joint leadership of Colonel Erlich and Sub-Commandante Correa. The integration however has gone far from flawlessly.

The officer corps of the traditional army, almost all of them appointed under Farsante's reign has proved to be resilient against Sub-Commandante's Corea's efforts to restructure and reform. Meanwhile there have been discipline issues amongst former Guerilla units now integrated in the army command structure.

Both Colonel Erlich and Sub-Commandante Correa accuse each other of trying to undermine each other's influence.

- Farsante's Guard [Internal | Military]

Hundreds of women dressed in black march through the streets of the capital, carrying large crosses and holding banners reading "Where are our Children". The silent march, organized by the Mothers of the Dissappeared, seeks to find Justice for those people murdered by Farsante's regime.

Estimates for the amount of people kidnapped and executed by Farsante's Elite guard number in the thousands, though they vary wildly. After all most bodies have never been found, and all documentation, if it existed, has disappeared. For now, most of Farsante's Guard still walks the streets unhindered, only a few have been arrested, and none have been prosecuted.

The Mothers of the Dissappeared are demanding Justice, but others do not think it wise to open old wounds, and start a witch hunt through the Chimerican society. They note that the rebels too have committed atrocities, and note that Farsante's guard was just following orders.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:16:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 10:17:09 am »

2) Inquiries

By speaking to one of the focus groups, a player can draw attention to an issue they consider to be important. (Ie, I decide the issue they give you) Inquiries can either be public or hidden.

A public Inquiry will be openly posted in the turn, stylized as a crisis. It then follows the rules for those kinds of actions, with the one exception that the person who originally made the Inquiry gets to act upon it without requiring an action.

A hidden Inquiry will be PM'd back to the player with the turn post, who can then react upon it.

3) Ministry Issues

Each Turn, each ministry receives 3 relevant issues which they can decide to resolve, either hidden or publically. If resolved publically, the action is posted in the turn, again stylized as a crisis, and handled as one. Again with the exception that the person who posted it doesn't need to use their action point.
So, who made which issues (i.e. which issues can they get a free action for?)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 10:39:10 am »

I planned to PM everyone with what issue was theirs. My bad.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »

So now we vote on each issue in the PM's?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 12:49:06 pm »

No, not really. Acting upon an issue noted here still costs an action (unless you created it). You can act upon some issues, if you want to, but not all. (You can also ignore them and do some other things.)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 05:28:13 pm »

To get the ball rolling:
I suggest that since our army is now getting some American equipment for free we decrease military equipment purchases, and import more wheat instead.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 05:48:07 pm »

Question to ebbor: Are you inputting our decisions in the game or are you calculating our decisions manually somehow?

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 11:21:16 pm »

To get the ball rolling:
I suggest that since our army is now getting some American equipment for free we decrease military equipment purchases, and import more wheat instead.

What an outrageous suggestion! Shall we relay entirely on America to support our military? And I have also heard that the weapons go directely to the old conventional army. Remember who ainstigated the rebellion.

The farantes guards must the prosecuted. I will support an arrest of all members of this distateful gruop. 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 01:05:53 am »

Question to ebbor: Are you inputting our decisions in the game or are you calculating our decisions manually somehow?
Manually. Otherwise this would be in the let's play section.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8