Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84764 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

Currently playing as Gavaken on Normal:

Spoiler: Gavakens (click to show/hide)
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »

I find that planet use is as follows: Terran -> Science (and later Industrial/Mining when everything is researched), Oceanic -> Agricultural (because you're not giving much up for that), Exhausted -> Industrial (because there isn't another good use; by the time you get hydroponic farms, you have a large food excess), and everything else -> Mining (to get a large amount of resources).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2014, 06:28:41 pm »

I would love to try out this game, but it all does is crash on me when I select a race.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

I would love to try out this game, but it all does is crash on me when I select a race.
1. Upgrade to Alpha15D
2. Install to another directory, not inside "\Program files\"

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2014, 08:50:12 pm »

Exhausted -> Industrial (because there isn't another good use; by the time you get hydroponic farms, you have a large food excess)
This depends on difficulty settings. On hard you rarely have a food excess...

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:52 am »

^^ this - playing on anything lower is like playing completly different game. 2 things from me:
1 - Suggestion - divide difficulty settings, different setting for AI passivness and different for resource bonus (so i could suggest new players to play on normal AI and hard resource). Right now playing with 2 or 3x bonus on resources is missing half the game.
2 - Bug - you do not get racial techs on start. Only applies to the player not AI. Don't know if this applies to other racial bonuses as well.
edit: There is exactly no difference between races for player other than ship layouts, no racial bonus, no racial drawbacks
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:52:39 pm by lastverb »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2014, 10:39:45 am »

^^ this - playing on anything lower is like playing completly different game. 2 things from me:
1 - Suggestion - divide difficulty settings, different setting for AI passivness and different for resource bonus (so i could suggest new players to play on normal AI and hard resource). Right now playing with 2 or 3x bonus on resources is missing half the game.
2 - Bug - you do not get racial techs on start. Only applies to the player not AI. Don't know if this applies to other racial bonuses as well.

I'd second splitting up difficulties and allowing the player to change the AI aggression and any resource handicaps/bonuses. Having 'easy', 'medium' and 'hard' isn't very useful in a sandbox game where you want to adjust things to your liking. However, if you do want to stick to this system, probably make it clearer in game what each stage mean.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »

OK, I'll do this split.

Actually, I've added a handicap at Easy and Normal just recently, because a lot of players were complaining the game is too difficult on Easy.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »

I am currently using 15D, but I noticed this on previous versions as well, I am actively trying to outfit my ships with the longest range weapons I can support, and even at final level tech I am universally being out-ranged by the AI.  I use ballistics computers (recommend changing the name to targeting computer) to boost my range, but I am still being engaged way beyond my fire range by almost everything the enemy throws at me, even on easy.  I also want to echo a sentiment stated here previously, part rotation would be incredibly helpful for the simple expedient of loading my fighters with some basic equipment.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2014, 05:21:57 pm »

This is an interesting crossroads then.

WE SHALL PROVIDE ALL THE SUPPORT

EDIT: On that note, it might not be the best idea for pirates to base two jumps out of home system. If you RNG one path out of your home system, you're stuck building up a fleet that is going to lose almost all of its' ships in the climactic battle over the pirate homeworld. Then you break out and discover you're 10 planets behind everyone else.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:23:41 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2014, 06:23:13 pm »

This is where its taking, Bad Inspiration from Endless Space. (If they are at all.) Pirates were novel, but much to strong for the early game. For the some hours I've placed into the game. I often lost most of my fighters, and my only ship is in the grey. By the time the two other ship come back, I have to give them a tithe of 3 percent or just lose everything and be stuck at 10. Pirates are fine in the game. Its just always having them there at the start, is just one more reason to Auto start over, until you find a decent starting location.

I really hope Ground Invasion get fleshed out. If there a road map for that I'd love to read it. In most 4X game, ground combat (understandably) gets terribly sideline, but invading a fucking planet, should be really epic, and it's a space to help differentiate the races some more. Since you can include totally different Doctrines for their ground ponders. My thoughts for this, are just much to grand for this game. I dont mean that in snide way. The 4X game I've been dev'ing, is a Civilization to Master of Orion 4x game. Conquer the planet and then the stars. For that game, having fleshed out ground combat is part of the whole thing. Its been really fun marrying the two games together to share as much as possible.

I feel that I dont understand how resources are peddle through my empire, and I feel that I can't influence it. Like, I can look at the resource tab, and see that I have positive Red Ball, but then my Colonizer is still waiting on 100 units of Red Balls. I would like the ability to have agency in that, even if its just MoO2 Freighters, or at least understanding. I would also love if the  Planet Summary can tell if its lacking Resources. I would love it even more, if it could tell me if the amount is being fed (even slowly) or not fed at all. But I dont think thats rightly possible with the space thats available.

I dont quite understand the Tech Glob at all. I think I understand some of it. I think there overall arching fields, then there Research Goals, but I am really lost what the Red Color means and what the Number Means. I assume bigger number is Harder Science? I dont really know. I feel directionless right now, and I dont if thats from lack of understanding yet.

What does ship experience do?

Ship Building is neat. I really like the idea of Decks, and I like the subtle way you've shown us some ships are much larger through how large the components are for each ship. I know this has been said, but any none square ship equipment needs rotatable.

And this is probably the biggest thing which I can stress, and is not an  intensive fix either. The valid building nodes inside the ship. We the players, won't really consider it very immersion breaking, if they don't perfectly represent the artsy fartsy picture of the ship. What matters most, is just symmetry. There also lots of totally pointless valid building nodes. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into the game, but I dont think there any Engine Components that are 2x1 as an example. It also feels frustrating that there would be enough room for two Nuke Engines, but its inverted L corner.

Also don't give us ship components that can't fit in the ship. Why springs to mine readily, is the Fighter Bay for Stations.

------------

What in the world is the next Generator Tech after Nuclear? I cannot find it. I cant tell if its Antimatter or the P named one.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2014, 09:55:02 pm »

Resources work like this: For each resource, there are two parts to the display. One is income/time unit (year?) and the other is current stores. Your store of resources can't go below zero afaik, but your income can. Any planet with a spaceport can access and contribute to the full empire supply. Planets with spaceports don't have individual resource stores; you just have to look at the empire ones. For construction, resources are used instantly unless more is required than you have; if that happens, the planet finishes everything else and waits for the resources to produce the building/ship.

Tech works like this: You have a science income produced by planets with research buildings. You can set what should be focused on (percentages of the 4 basic kinds and on/off for the others, along with a slider to change the ratio between the two) and then wait, or you can click on the research you want and then click "Set as Priority" (which is a lot easier to do). Doing that will handle all the settings to get that thing researched; when it finishes, it will notify you. Other than the tech point distribution, though, there are also two kinds of things to research: there are various fields to research (For example, cold fusion, plasma, subspace, or antigravity) and then uses for those (weapons, engines, fuel tanks, etc). Fields require only the basic four tech paths to research, and uses for them usually require both the basic four tech paths and research into the specific fields that are listed as prerequisites.

This is all in the tutorial, though; have you gone through that yet?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2014, 12:58:42 am »

If you want Civ+MoO, try ye olde Emperor of the Fading Suns. It had a good idea, but in my humble opinion, having to micro several planets became quite taxing towards the end. I think the only thing MoO3 did right was the basic idea on planet invasions, it just failed in details in that as well. (Such as leaving the invaders on the ground afterwards so you couldn't attach a permanent invasion force to your attack fleet etc.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2014, 02:39:49 am »

Its been my big ole dream project. It probably wont go anywhere, but its where I find fun in on working on game design with a 4x.

Like, I worked out an outline for mechanics to have Civil Wars and for civilizations to Splinter Off to form their own nations.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2014, 08:34:42 am »

I am currently using 15D, but I noticed this on previous versions as well, I am actively trying to outfit my ships with the longest range weapons I can support, and even at final level tech I am universally being out-ranged by the AI.
What exact weapon do you use? Beam weapon generally has shorter range (except for Ion and Photon), capital ships and orbital platforms have longer range for the same weapon model. Longest range weapons are Antineitrino gun and Photon accelerator installed on a capital ship.

I use ballistics computers (recommend changing the name to targeting computer) to boost my range, but I am still being engaged way beyond my fire range by almost everything the enemy throws at me, even on easy.
It does not enhance range, but increase the distance to intercept enemy missiles by your beam weapon.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 31