Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84844 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Remember Tomorrow - an indie 4x space strategy game
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55:42 am »

Set to false, still continuing to have problems. Hopefully I can help you fix it.

PM sent.

You sure you sent to me? My inbox is empty.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2014, 08:58:18 am »

Ptw
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2014, 10:24:30 am »

You sure you sent to me? My inbox is empty.
Something is wrong with PM, I've sent two :(

This is the link to the tracing .exe file.

http://www.softwarware.com/rt_download/Eng/Remember_test.exe.zip

This version writes "Trace." file while running, it logs key presses, etc. Please send me this file when the game freezes, hopefully I can spot the problem.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2014, 10:25:26 am »

So, I have a crazy idea on how to implement internal politics.

Basically, I'd divide power inside the state into factions, arbitrarily split into five in my example. The more power a faction has, the more positive and negative effects it brings to play. However, if the faction is completely powerless, they still cause negative effects, portraying the society lacking that part entirely... Around 20% power, the faction would be neutral in their effect. (See the faction list below.) In addition to the factions, there would be government forms, which have similar effects, plus stack the deck to the benefit of certain factions. This way you could, for example, have a Democracy really ran by Corporations. (See the government form list below.)

Quite a long post and seems to be well thought out.

The concept seems to be very interesting, however I think if implemented there should be an option to switch internal politics off, as some would be pissed off be necessity to think about negative effects of internal politics while struggling with external enemy. I need to think about it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:35:59 am by Ufnv »

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2014, 10:30:33 am »

quick question - is there a way to see fully exhausted (no resources or anything) planets in the economics -> planets tab
Not really, they are filtered out to easily find useful planets.

I will do a checkbox in View Options to show exhausted planets as well - after all good ones.

what also would be nice is to be able to say "hey produce x amount of y ship and send it to z thanks" or "have all planets produce x of y if possible"
It is more of UI question, because such functionality is present in game - AI uses it.
Need to think how to do this. Maybe by right clicking on a star and selecting something like "build ships and send it here"?

and i have a hundred here

aaaand i'd really like them to produce 15 assault shuttles each to defend against random cruisers i just keep getting probed with
Actually, it is better to guard only border worlds, no need to keep forces at every planet. BTW, try Hard setting - there just wouldn't be enough resources for such fleet.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2014, 10:31:07 am »

Another thing I've noticed is that the combat area just seems too small and cramped; this is most likely a matter of personal preference, but I would like to see ships have longer range, higher speed (not warp speed, flight speed in combat), and a much, much larger combat area to match it all.

A larger combat area would also make greater differences in ship sizes a good thing to see; a Cruiser would be vastly larger than a Corvette, for instance, and right now they seem to be similar in size. Objects in space, such as asteroids, wreckage from previous battles that hasn't been salvaged yet, etc. would be nice to see occupying some of the space from the much larger combat area.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:01:27 am by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2014, 10:44:21 am »

Another thing I've noticed is that the combat area just seems too small and cramped; this is most likely a matter of personal preference, but I would like to see ships have longer range, higher speed (not warp speed, flight speed in combat), and a much, much larger combat area to match it all.
Field size is auto sized according to a number of participating ships, however I agree it can be bigger.

A larger combat area would also make greater differences in ship sizes a good thing to see; a Cruiser would be vastly larger than a Corvette, for instance, and right now they seem to be similar in size. Objects in space, such as asteroids, wreckage from previous battles that hasn't been salvaged yet, etc. would be nice to see occupying some of the space from the much larger combat area.
To be honest, I think about moving into "more 3D" with nicer graphics, bigger scales, etc. But this would require some funding, unfortunately, as it will involve a lot of graphical work. So, everything regarding nicer graphics and bigger scale in battle is very possible, but only if I manage to generate some money out of the game. Unfortunately, I cannot go to Kickstarter, as I am not from US/UK/AU etc.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:00 am »

There is IndieGoGo, and I remember Starship Corporation got funded on it.

Here's the link to the trace file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=45478720518965283480
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2014, 12:40:01 pm »

Here's the link to the trace file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=45478720518965283480
Unfortunately, did not helped. It shows only this is not related with clicking buttons themselves...

Here is the version that writes much more detailed trace - it can lag a bit, plus produced trace may be quite large, but should compress well.
Could you please try it as well?

http://www.softwarware.com/rt_download/Eng/Remember_test.exe.zip

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

Yes, it is in the process. And it is one of the topics I need suggestions, advises and play-tests. I can insert a dozen of different technologies to improve various aspects of economics, etc, literally in 20 minutes, but the tricky part is to find a right balance of their effect.

Terraforming is even implemented but not allowed. This is once again because I still have no idea what would prevent a player/AI from terraforming all his worlds mid game and how this affects the gameplay.
Master of Orion 2 just has lots of stuff that provides flat bonuses to or automate things the population provides. Bonuses to production (deep core mining, robo miners), research (research labs), structures that reduce pollution (atmosphere renewer) and lessen damage from radiation (planetary shield) both of which negatively affected the environment and reduced population limits, artificial gravity if your race has a colony with gravity different from the homeworld which gave a flat malus to everything the planet tried to produce.

Make it expensive? Turning lifeless rocks into Gaian jungles should have huge benefits and a suitably huge cost.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:14 pm »

Master of Orion 2 just has lots of stuff that provides flat bonuses to or automate things the population provides. Bonuses to production (deep core mining, robo miners), research (research labs), structures that reduce pollution (atmosphere renewer) and lessen damage from radiation (planetary shield) both of which negatively affected the environment and reduced population limits, artificial gravity if your race has a colony with gravity different from the homeworld which gave a flat malus to everything the planet tried to produce.
Currently the only clear enhancement of such kind "Orbital Laboratory" that boosts science. All other technologies are more about making it possible to colonise planet and grow population.

What I can imagine right now is an analogue of "deep core mining" and such to increase mining output. Easy to add. Then maybe some production boosters. Need to experiment :)

My current development "queue" looks like this:
1. Rework fleet strength estimation function - quite difficult task, btw
2. Finalise re-arranging science - especially its second half
3. Espionage
4. Ground combat window.

Then I'll make a step sideways and release a multiplayer version of the tactical combat.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:15:23 pm by Ufnv »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2014, 03:01:51 pm »

I wish I could get this game to work on my computer, I'd love to try and help out any way I could.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:11 pm »

I wish I could get this game to work on my computer, I'd love to try and help out any way I could.
And what's the problem? Does it refuse to run somehow?

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:07 am »

For anyone who may be interested, I am going to upload the Mac OS version today. It currently supports OS X 10.9 only, is this a problem?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2014, 09:56:29 am »

It currently supports OS X 10.9 only, is this a problem?
I don't see why. A lot of people do own older versions though, since Mac are impossible to upgrade.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31