Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84387 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)
« Reply #360 on: December 14, 2014, 03:27:03 pm »

Tip: Have a special fleet designed with the intent of fighting Urgans (if you focus is on fighter combat).

This fleet should be focused on tanking damage while throwing as much damage as possible right back at them, long range weapons should do the trick.

Tip Late game, the best use for 3x3 Turrents is Missiles &/or Torpedoes. It doesn't consume as much energy and can provide nasty close-range firepower (missiles) or additionally long-range firepower (torpedoes, especially late-game)

Tip: The 'Excessive Missile Barrage' option can, in an emergency, be used to to 'shotgun' enemy fighters. This is especially effective when enemy fighters are in range of multiple ships, the only caveat is you'll have to target individual fighters. Over and over.

Tip: Diplomacy is a bit unbalanced, abuse it!

Tip: Human Corvettes suck, but their Cruisers are not to be taken lightly...

Tip: Planets with no resources make decent Military Industrial Centers, especially at the edge of your territory.

Tip: A well-designed ship is worth much more then any Military Sattelite, a ship can manage to stay just out of enemy range (and possibly continue to fire at them).

Tip: Galaxy Arms are easier to defend, need less resources to defend, and give you the ability to build up ships out of the sight of your opponent should certain treaties come into play.

Tip: Keeping one Pirate Planet 'alive' gives you an excuse to diplomatically raise the respect of other nations.

Any one else got some tips?

Edits for making it look nicer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:31:10 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 14, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »

Is there anyway we are allowed to mod some graphic items, such as the race name and portraits? 
Yes, there is a way, however currently it is a bit more complicated than necessary.

To change races you need the download a mod kit here - http://www.softwarware.com/rt_download/ModKit/1.5.15B.zip

It contains all source codes for diplomacy, including race definitions. Each race has its own file there. For example, Sharatars are in "r_sha.a". There you can edit the image path. But then you need to recompile these diplomacy files using the included compiler, command line command is "e1pcn.exe -es -cm rtq.a". Then copy resulting files (rtq.cht, rtq.pht, rtq.rht, rtq.gen) in the game directory.

New version will have a much easier ways of doing this :)

Sorry I forgot to ask:  Which software program should I use to open and edit the files such as "r_sha.a"?  If I understand it correctly, the e1pcn.exe in this zip file is the complier but not for editing, right?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 14, 2014, 11:35:43 pm »

57 ships or so? Most of them are the Human ship before Battleships and the human ship after Destroyers.
That's quite a lot :)
I usually have about 10 ships or less, half of them carriers.
I have a fleet about equal size to the Urgans. It feels like, my fleet is barely large enough.

Next round of ship building will have at least ten carriers that can hold 124 fighters each. It has close to five speed. With hopefully a functional missile ship and a heavy beam ship. I know that the Urgan current fleet out techs mine but I think I have a tech advantage overall.
Beam weapon becomes a heavy attack weapon starting from about Mezon accelerator. The real "armour burners" are Heavy Neitrino accelerators.

If in war with Urgans, beware of their early access to Bozon gun - it can be a real threat to your fighters.

I am having a hard time seeing the different applications of the beam weapons. I do like that its not just a linear upgrade path.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 15, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »

The nonlinear research is basically the entire point of the research tree. Also, beam weapons are good for killing fighers.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 17, 2014, 07:21:09 am »

I am in a process of redrawing ships. Here is, for example, the concept for an Earth battle cruiser.

What do you think?

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 17, 2014, 07:22:29 am »

Sorry I forgot to ask:  Which software program should I use to open and edit the files such as "r_sha.a"?  If I understand it correctly, the e1pcn.exe in this zip file is the complier but not for editing, right?
You can use any text editor (notepad, for example) to open it. It's just a plain text file. e1pcn.exe is a compiler, you are right.

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 18, 2014, 07:45:42 am »

You can use any text editor (notepad, for example) to open it. It's just a plain text file. e1pcn.exe is a compiler, you are right.

Thanks!  I will try the notepad then.  :)

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 18, 2014, 07:49:10 am »

I am in a process of redrawing ships. Here is, for example, the concept for an Earth battle cruiser.

What do you think?

To me it looks cool, the style is a bit like the ships in the "Tytania" anime.  And such kind of Earth ships look far more interesting than those Earth Alliance ships in "Babylon 5" TV series.  The "Star Gate" Terran/Earth ships are somehow comparable in styles, yet their ship colors seem rather monotonous and bring down my appetite.  So your ship design is preferable, I will say.

BTW, later if possible, would you please also share us one of the most "exotic" alien ship design in your plan?   :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:06:22 am by titaniumsub »

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 19, 2014, 06:55:24 am »

BTW, later if possible, would you please also share us one of the most "exotic" alien ship design in your plan?   :D
Sure, we are first to finalise Earth ships line-up, then will switch to another race.

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 19, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »

Sure, we are first to finalise Earth ships line-up, then will switch to another race.

Thanks, good to know!

I look forward to seeing your new ship designs, while testing the current version in different ways for fun.  :)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »

Agh, the other files I have to grammar check I can't open- you mentioned a 'Mod Pack' earlier in the thread, do I need to use that?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 22, 2014, 01:51:57 am »

Agh, the other files I have to grammar check I can't open- you mentioned a 'Mod Pack' earlier in the thread, do I need to use that?
I think, the most difficult was that lang.txt file you have already checked (it will be included in the nearest build), other files I sent were in MS Excel format (.xlsx). The only thing left is UI texting - there are still some texts embedded in game that I am to move in a separate file.
BTW, thanks a lot!

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 22, 2014, 07:07:41 am »

Hi Ufnv,

I have used Notepad to open the "r_drill.a" file in your zip file, and seen the information inside like this:

========================================
Attribute raceID = raceDrill
  String Attribute strID = "Drill"
  String Attribute faceImage = "images/Races/Drill.png"
  String Attribute bigImage = "images/Races/Big/Drill.jpg"
==========================================

However, I found no "races" folder within the directory "images", let alone those race portrait files xxx.png or xxx.jpg.  There are only two file folders "VE" and "VM" and game title pictures within the "Images" directory.  Am I supposed to create the "races" directories and jpg files on my own?

Or do I need to open the "picture.pkg" package file to find those graphic files?

Hopefully in the next version, the editing or modding of races will be more convenient.  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:11:54 am by titaniumsub »

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 22, 2014, 07:14:18 am »

However, I found no such files within the directory "images" or "races", let alone those race portrait files xxx.png or xxx.jpg.  There are only very few files such as game title pictures within the "Images" directory.  Am I supposed to create those race directories and jpg files on my own?
Yes, you are.
Files mentioned there are inside image package and the game first looks for them in that package and only then in the actual directory.

That's why editing names for these files is essential. If another search order, it would be possible to just copy them in the game directory.

Hopefully in the next version, the editing or modding of races will be more convenient.  :)
Yes, next version has all such information in a separate txt files, no need to compile anything. The same with buildings, btw.

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 22, 2014, 11:15:59 pm »

However, I found no such files within the directory "images" or "races", let alone those race portrait files xxx.png or xxx.jpg.  There are only very few files such as game title pictures within the "Images" directory.  Am I supposed to create those race directories and jpg files on my own?
Yes, you are.
Files mentioned there are inside image package and the game first looks for them in that package and only then in the actual directory.

That's why editing names for these files is essential. If another search order, it would be possible to just copy them in the game directory.

Yes, next version has all such information in a separate txt files, no need to compile anything. The same with buildings, btw.

Thanks for the tips, buddy.

However, I can not open or see into the image package, so I am not sure what should be rage image sizes for those small jpg files and "big" png files.  Such as 64x64? 128x128? Or else?

Sorry for bothering you so much on this issue, again and again.  Perhaps I would better wait for your next version --- but even then, unless I can open the image package to double-check, I may still do not know what the appropriate image SIZES shall be, before I can replace them with my own picture files.  If the correct png file has 64 x 64 pixels, and I mistakenly replace it with a 128 x 128 one ...... :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:19:24 pm by titaniumsub »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31