Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84380 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)
« Reply #345 on: December 12, 2014, 02:54:21 am »

BTW, before I see this game, I do like "AI War Fleet Command" and "Space Empire V".  They both allow for my favorite 2.5D space wars, but SEV is turn-based in the strategic level, not real-time; and AI War ...... real time alright, and tons of units and huge fighting scales alright, no multi-player support alright (just like Galaxia), but the biggest problem is: I can not even see a d**n face or race portrait throughout this game, only units! 

This "faceless" style makes me somehow uncomfortable, just like being lost in space and do not know whom I shall scream to.  Come on, I am still human (am I?), not an AI player who might be totally indifferent with how the friend or foe look like.

So if I can find a good story or at least some interesting human faces in this game design, I think I can dump AI war for good.  :)

I am completely the opposite. I much prefer the ability to let my imagination come up with what the races actually look like rather than have the game dictate how they look. Granted, most games allow you to customize races so that's ok, but I much prefer to make my own story rather than get it forced upon me 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 12, 2014, 06:13:28 am »

I think my biggest hiccup right now, is that warring is pretty slow. I'm curious how other players manage to solve the fuel need?

Am I just not making enough support ships? Cause they tend to be super fucking expensive. Maybe I'm just making them wrong.

Also, is there any more industry boosting technology?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 12, 2014, 06:18:24 am »

What are the Pros & Cons of Cycled vs. Limited by Areas?

The main Pro of Cycled battle area is that you fight in an "infinite" space. The idea comes from StarControl series. The main Con is it is not intuitive.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 12, 2014, 06:30:19 am »

Is there anyway we are allowed to mod some graphic items, such as the race name and portraits? 
Yes, there is a way, however currently it is a bit more complicated than necessary.

To change races you need the download a mod kit here - http://www.softwarware.com/rt_download/ModKit/1.5.15B.zip

It contains all source codes for diplomacy, including race definitions. Each race has its own file there. For example, Sharatars are in "r_sha.a". There you can edit the image path. But then you need to recompile these diplomacy files using the included compiler, command line command is "e1pcn.exe -es -cm rtq.a". Then copy resulting files (rtq.cht, rtq.pht, rtq.rht, rtq.gen) in the game directory.

New version will have a much easier ways of doing this :)

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2014, 06:32:41 am »

I think my biggest hiccup right now, is that warring is pretty slow. I'm curious how other players manage to solve the fuel need?

Am I just not making enough support ships? Cause they tend to be super fucking expensive. Maybe I'm just making them wrong.
Support ships is one way, second is trying to establish a new colony closer to the action, or invade enemy ones.
Distant war is meant to be expensive...

Also, is there any more industry boosting technology?
Not in the current version.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 12, 2014, 06:34:46 am »

BTW, this is the quality of ship rotation I am going to achieve with re-making all ship images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xncAJMGZEYw

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2014, 06:43:37 am »

Support ships is one way, second is trying to establish a new colony closer to the action, or invade enemy ones.
Distant war is meant to be expensive...

In this case, its an outer arm of a spiral galaxy war. Most of the systems are more then 3k a part, and there some jumps that are around my some of my industry planets are more then 6k a part.

And getting the Fuel Tanks Mrk4 is helping out a fair amount.
---
Also in my current game, Anti Matter reactors are only available for Fighters the technology doesn't say its just for fighters.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:45:24 am by MrWiggles »

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 12, 2014, 06:54:18 am »

In this case, its an outer arm of a spiral galaxy war. Most of the systems are more then 3k a part, and there some jumps that are around my some of my industry planets are more then 6k a part.
For this case there will be technologies that manipulate with tunnels. Temporarily create or destroy one, "compress" one, etc. 

And getting the Fuel Tanks Mrk4 is helping out a fair amount.
What is your fleet size? Maybe concentrate on cheap carriers + a pair of dreadnoughts then?

Also in my current game, Anti Matter reactors are only available for Fighters the technology doesn't say its just for fighters.
ОК, I'll check. Are you sure Antimatter generators, not Engines? As of my tables, AM generators are only available for Battlecruiser+ (Class 3) ships, while AM Engines are for Fighters (Class 1) and Battlecruiser+ (Class 3) ships.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 12, 2014, 07:43:10 am »

57 ships or so? Most of them are the Human ship before Battleships and the human ship after Destroyers.

And they currently have a gas tank around 8800, which lets them get in about two system deep, while I wait for planet to get enough population to overtake a planet.

They're mostly beam heavy vessels, and a totally worthless missiles ship.

Next round of ship building will have at least ten carriers that can hold 124 fighters each. It has close to five speed. With hopefully a functional missile ship and a heavy beam ship. I know that the Urgan current fleet out techs mine but I think I have a tech advantage overall.

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 12, 2014, 09:15:37 pm »

Is there anyway we are allowed to mod some graphic items, such as the race name and portraits? 
Yes, there is a way, however currently it is a bit more complicated than necessary.

To change races you need the download a mod kit here - http://www.softwarware.com/rt_download/ModKit/1.5.15B.zip

It contains all source codes for diplomacy, including race definitions. Each race has its own file there. For example, Sharatars are in "r_sha.a". There you can edit the image path. But then you need to recompile these diplomacy files using the included compiler, command line command is "e1pcn.exe -es -cm rtq.a". Then copy resulting files (rtq.cht, rtq.pht, rtq.rht, rtq.gen) in the game directory.

New version will have a much easier ways of doing this :)

Oh yeah, that makes my fantasy come true!  Thank you so much!  When the final version is available, please let me know and I will be glad to buy one for keeping.

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »

BTW, before I see this game, I do like "AI War Fleet Command" and "Space Empire V".  They both allow for my favorite 2.5D space wars, but SEV is turn-based in the strategic level, not real-time; and AI War ...... real time alright, and tons of units and huge fighting scales alright, no multi-player support alright (just like Galaxia), but the biggest problem is: I can not even see a d**n face or race portrait throughout this game, only units! 

This "faceless" style makes me somehow uncomfortable, just like being lost in space and do not know whom I shall scream to.  Come on, I am still human (am I?), not an AI player who might be totally indifferent with how the friend or foe look like.

So if I can find a good story or at least some interesting human faces in this game design, I think I can dump AI war for good.  :)

I am completely the opposite. I much prefer the ability to let my imagination come up with what the races actually look like rather than have the game dictate how they look. Granted, most games allow you to customize races so that's ok, but I much prefer to make my own story rather than get it forced upon me

But I am lack of imaginations  :-[... so it varies on different persons.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 13, 2014, 04:00:03 am »

Oh yeah, that makes my fantasy come true!  Thank you so much!  When the final version is available, please let me know and I will be glad to buy one for keeping.
There may be some troubles related to translation, so if something goes wrong, don't hesitate to ask (ufnv@mail.ru or Skype: vufnarovsky)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 13, 2014, 05:18:32 am »

ОК, I'll check. Are you sure Antimatter generators, not Engines? As of my tables, AM generators are only available for Battlecruiser+ (Class 3) ships, while AM Engines are for Fighters (Class 1) and Battlecruiser+ (Class 3) ships.

Ah. I don't dont have Battlecruisers researched yet. And for my game its Antimater reactor for Fighters and And antimater engines for Fighters.

The wording for the Anti Matter technology doesn't say its just for fighters and battlecruisers. That left me pretty confused.

titaniumsub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 13, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »

There may be some troubles related to translation, so if something goes wrong, don't hesitate to ask (ufnv@mail.ru or Skype: vufnarovsky)

Ah, that might be the least thing that I should worry about.  But still thank you for being kind and considerate.  :D

My most favorite space war stories are "Legend of Galactic Heroes" and "Tytania" (both by the same author).  So if you do not mind, I would like to replace the existing race information with those galactic admirals (all are humans, expanding from the Earth to the whole known galaxy, just like the ancestors of galactic republic/empire and rebel alliance in the Starwars drama), so that I can enjoy the game even better with some feel of "my 'own' story alongside with my heroes".

Later I may also replace the races with some other favorites of mine, such as Babylon 5 and StarTrek DS9.  Not all of them look like humans, but at least I think I am somehow familiar with those race characters.  Or in the extreme case, I can set my own tribe vs. my wife's tribe vs. my kid's tribe vs. ...... lol 8)

BTW, here are the main character portraits of LOGH and Tytania, respectively. 

http://discoverygc.com/forums/archive/index.php?thread-104805.html

https://mikumin.wordpress.com/tag/tytania/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:22:49 pm by titaniumsub »

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 14, 2014, 07:26:48 am »

57 ships or so? Most of them are the Human ship before Battleships and the human ship after Destroyers.
That's quite a lot :)
I usually have about 10 ships or less, half of them carriers.

They're mostly beam heavy vessels, and a totally worthless missiles ship.
Missile ships will become a real power in a new game version with introduction of "fast reloader" module. It will allow big ships to use their load of missiles/torpedoes much more effectively launching missiles wave after wave.

Next round of ship building will have at least ten carriers that can hold 124 fighters each. It has close to five speed. With hopefully a functional missile ship and a heavy beam ship. I know that the Urgan current fleet out techs mine but I think I have a tech advantage overall.
Beam weapon becomes a heavy attack weapon starting from about Mezon accelerator. The real "armour burners" are Heavy Neitrino accelerators.

If in war with Urgans, beware of their early access to Bozon gun - it can be a real threat to your fighters.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31