Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)  (Read 84381 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow - 4x space strategy game (Alpha15D)
« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2014, 11:44:24 am »

Alright. Let me start off by saying that while I like strategy games, I don't play them often. So I'm pretty bad. Which means any complaints I have could just be because I'm bad. But after starting a game and playing for awhile, I figured I could do a first impressions kinda thing. I used Alpha15D. Everything here is my own opinion.

Sounds fair, we'll try to help out when we can.

So, I started as Humans on Normal, on one of the Spiral galaxies, I think. There were two of the same type with three variants each if I recall correctly, I chose one of the three towards the bottom.

The Spiral Galaxies. Did you start in the Center or one of the Arms? Also, Colonizers are really important Early game so you can get the resources you need to start- Plutonium is the biggest issue early game, followed by Reidium and Burmington (not always in that order).

Now, I don't know if this is intentional, but I feel like the game plays really slowly in the beginning. Nuclear engines and generators don't really work all that well for a proper military. And that would be fine, but I found if I wanted to leave my home world's solar system, while still allowing my Corvettes to have a decent amount of weaponry, I had to wait until impulse engines, the large 9x9 generator that I forget the name of, and fuel tanks mk. II.

Large 9x9? I believe that's the Proton Generator, good choice. Since you're Humans, I'd suggust putting a generator or fuel tank in center Weapon slot, the big one. You ony need about 5000 fuel to get to the frontlines if you Colonize planets with no resources. If you are unlucky and get a few systems of Gas Giants, relax- it doubles as a buffer between you and your enemy! Research Frigate, you'll be amazed at the difference in capability.

AT the start on Easy-Normal I tend to go Automation -> Mark II Fuel -> Antimatter -> Proton Genrator, this tend to give you more options (Admittedly not as much for Humans, they have the worst Corvettes).

And by the time that happened, I pissed off the Logans because some pirates attacked me right off the bat and when they told me they were pirates, I chose the option saying "Apology accepted, just don't let it happen again" and they got angry and flew off.

Pirates are a special 'race' of their own and aren't Logans, but tend to be composed of Logans... also, don't choose the 'don't let it happen again' option unless you want your Homeworld to be less productive & under threat, it slows you down drastically.

Fast forward hundreds of years, and now they're allied with the Arians and demanded I give them my scientific oceanic planet. Having no military, because of aforementioned reasons, I agreed. Arians then captured the planet the Logan pirates were on, and then they both started extorting me for resources. Good teamwork, but I'm barely keeping up with their demands.

You'd have been better off refusing them, having them declare War then begging for Mercy- the A.I is a sucker that way.

Haven't done enough combat to really comment on that, but regarding ship design, it kinda bothers me that it's misaligned. At first I thought the dots were the spacing, but it's actually the space in between them. And no matter what, it's always misaligned. But honestly, that's a really minor complaint. The system works, and that's all that really matters. Far better than not designing ships.

Yeah, the spacing is a little wierd at the moment. It's a boon on a few of the larger ships since you can put a bunch of one thing on one side and something else on the other, but again Human Corvettes are the worst in the game.

The Corvettes feel really cramped. I think the main reason for that is fuel tanks take up a lot of space. To make it so that my Corvettes can travel across solar systems, I had to sacrifice radars.

Human Corvet- well, you know. Also, Radars don't play a really large roll early game- I tend to go without.

The Fighters are pretty good given their jobs, and I almost feel like Interceptors are almost too big. I managed to fit something like 3 or 4 missile traps in one of them, and put a radar in another. Though they have less firepower than fighters, so that might make up for it.

Fighters are pretty good in numbers, and if you researched a medium pylon Interceptors could actually have either more weapons or bigger, better ones.

Also feel like ship components should have tool tips like they do when you click on things to research them, but again, it's a minor thing.

Agreed.

Researching works well. I like the sheer amount of things there are. I like things. I like researching. Especially like how you can research multiple fields at the same time.

It is really well thought out and works well gameplay-wise.

Diplomacy is odd, in my opinion. I don't really know how to increase people's opinion of you other than just giving them resources. Also don't know when I can and can't do something. Could just be me being bad.

Diplomacy is really simplistic and wierd at the moment, but once you understand it really easy to use or even abuse.

The maps are cool. Kinda feels like a more in depth game of Risk, except you actually fight the battles. Definitely like the different shapes and sizes of the galaxies. The different types of planets are nice as well, kinda wish you could do something with gas giants though. But maybe it's better to have a type of planet that's useless.

Ufnv has said it's planned to have 'Artifacts' or 'Wrecks' in the Future, and Gas Giants may well have some use in the future. I'd also consider the possibility of other features popping up (I'm personally hoping for Gas Mining Platforms, Star Wars Style).

All in all the game's good, and it's still in alpha. It's fun, and it seems like a lot of work was put into it. Hope you continue working on it!

Here Here!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Carsonjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 01, 2014, 01:51:58 pm »

The Spiral Galaxies. Did you start in the Center or one of the Arms? Also, Colonizers are really important Early game so you can get the resources you need to start- Plutonium is the biggest issue early game, followed by Reidium and Burmington (not always in that order).

I'm pretty sure I'm on one of the arms. Only ways I can explore are to the left and right. But I didn't get to explore a whole lot.

Large 9x9? I believe that's the Proton Generator, good choice. Since you're Humans, I'd suggust putting a generator or fuel tank in center Weapon slot, the big one. You ony need about 5000 fuel to get to the frontlines if you Colonize planets with no resources. If you are unlucky and get a few systems of Gas Giants, relax- it doubles as a buffer between you and your enemy! Research Frigate, you'll be amazed at the difference in capability.

AT the start on Easy-Normal I tend to go Automation -> Mark II Fuel -> Antimatter -> Proton Genrator, this tend to give you more options (Admittedly not as much for Humans, they have the worst Corvettes).

I see. So, are Corvettes worth using for humans? Or should I use bigger ships when I have them? Currently use Corvettes as carriers, but you can only fit a single hangar in one, and 6 Interceptors or 10 fighters isn't a whole lot.

Human Corvet- well, you know. Also, Radars don't play a really large roll early game- I tend to go without.

Ah. That makes me feel a bit better about not having them.

Fighters are pretty good in numbers, and if you researched a medium pylon Interceptors could actually have either more weapons or bigger, better ones.

Really? I noticed they seem to have a bit more space in the weapon area, but I couldn't figure out if I could use more weapons or not. I thought it might have been because medium pylons are 2x10, while light pylons are 1x10, (I think) but I couldn't use more than 2 light pylons either. Can mediums mount more than 1 weapon? I was using heavy lasers and torpedoes, is that why?

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 01, 2014, 03:41:16 pm »

I finally beat Hard for the first time, in the most unlikely way possible- I absorbed the Urgans, an Empire with ALOT more Firepower and Technology with whom I had a BAD history with.
Welcome to the Club! :)
Actually, I've never done this myself - I guess it is usual for developers - I always find something mid game that I think is a must to fix or to change...

I proceeded to push the Humans to two planets. Just to add insult to injury, I made a peace treaty with them then proceeded to successfully DEMAND their LAST TWO PLANETS.
That means that one in-game check does not work - they should not just give away last planets...

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 01, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »

So, I started as Humans on Normal, on one of the Spiral galaxies, I think. There were two of the same type with three variants each if I recall correctly, I chose one of the three towards the bottom. Now, I don't know if this is intentional, but I feel like the game plays really slowly in the beginning. Nuclear engines and generators don't really work all that well for a proper military. And that would be fine, but I found if I wanted to leave my home world's solar system, while still allowing my Corvettes to have a decent amount of weaponry, I had to wait until impulse engines, the large 9x9 generator that I forget the name of, and fuel tanks mk. II.
As TalonisWolf said, Human corvettes sucks. Sharatars' either. Good corvettes are Erian and Gavaken ones.

However, even with Human corvettes you can travel quite a long way form home if you have a refuelling ship in a fleet. Single jump distance is still limited by their range, but refuelling ship allows you to move your fleet a long distance by short jumps. Also I am working on some more "subspace" technologies to allow "compressing" tunnels, creating new ones and collapsing existing ones.

Haven't done enough combat to really comment on that, but regarding ship design, it kinda bothers me that it's misaligned. At first I thought the dots were the spacing, but it's actually the space in between them. And no matter what, it's always misaligned.
It is so by design. Really no way to use all the available space and it was meant so.

The Fighters are pretty good given their jobs, and I almost feel like Interceptors are almost too big. I managed to fit something like 3 or 4 missile traps in one of them, and put a radar in another. Though they have less firepower than fighters, so that might make up for it.
This is Human Fighter. It is quite unique as it can carry three pylons unlike other races' Fighters.

Interceptor is meant to be equipped with Medium Pylon that can fit, for example, Plasma Gun or Ion cannon.

Also it is a good idea not to fit extra things into a small ship if it is not necessary. There are two reasons for this:
1. Extra items mean extra weight and thus less speed. Speed is very important for a small ship.
2. Extra items mean more resources (and time) to build a ship and higher upkeep cost. For small ships that are meant to be used in a big group this is the thing to consider.

Also feel like ship components should have tool tips like they do when you click on things to research them, but again, it's a minor thing.
There is a tooltip when you keep your mouse over the big image of an item in a left top corner.

Diplomacy is odd, in my opinion. I don't really know how to increase people's opinion of you other than just giving them resources. Also don't know when I can and can't do something. Could just be me being bad.
There are still plenty of thing to work on diplomacy...

All in all the game's good, and it's still in alpha. It's fun, and it seems like a lot of work was put into it. Hope you continue working on it!
Thanks, I'll definitely will :)

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 01, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »

Researching works well. I like the sheer amount of things there are. I like things. I like researching. Especially like how you can research multiple fields at the same time.

It is really well thought out and works well gameplay-wise.
BTW, research is somehow reworked now.

This picture shows the new modelled research flow (green line) vs the one in the Alpha15D (red one).

For me the current research flow was a bit wrong mid game, as quite often there was a problem you ships get outdated too quickly. This is because the science growth was too linear mid game, without major steps in the overall progress. Now the whole science looks like a number of technological steps, each one meaning it is better to redesign your ships and possible change your combat tactics because of significantly new weapon or defence system.

Ufnv has said it's planned to have 'Artifacts' or 'Wrecks' in the Future, and Gas Giants may well have some use in the future. I'd also consider the possibility of other features popping up (I'm personally hoping for Gas Mining Platforms, Star Wars Style).

Yes, working on it. I think of two possibilities:
1. Allow some races to colonise Gas Giants
2. Allow all races to "research deeper" gas giants in a quest for some artefacts, etc.

Also I like the idea of Gas Mining Platforms.

And one more thing from a new version - new ground combat (some graphics are placeholders).

In the new version you need to build and carry different kinds of units instead of abstract "marines".

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 05, 2014, 11:19:03 am »

Welp, there goes Blitz Stratagem. Before I'd destroy the enemy fleet, capture planet, refill Troop Carrier and send my fleet on to the next one.

Now in order to do this I'd need to several Troop Carriers with more Invasion Pods and enough ships to hold the line- alot harder, especially with the A.I's habit of coming over and dropping a massive amount of fighters then retreating...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2014, 11:38:02 am »

dropping a massive amount of fighters then retreating...

bozon gun is love

bozon gun is life

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 05, 2014, 12:21:36 pm »

Has anyone pointed out the new name's similarity to Galaxian?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 05, 2014, 05:52:54 pm »

bozon gun is love

bozon gun is life

bozon gun is love

bozon gun is life

So are Gravi Guns, but besides that most of those fighters would have Missile and/or Torpedoes, which can easily destroy a whole fleet over time if the enemy gets in the habit of using what I henceforth will call the 'Drop Off Stratagem':

Repeatably dropping off loads of fighters with a Carrier then retreating before I can attack the Carrier. As long as they have a good industrial planet or two within reasonable distance, they can prolong this near indefinatly while I wait for the planet under siege to come under my control.

It's a legitimate strategy to counter my Capital Ship Doctrine, which until the mid- and late-game will for the most part lack any substantial fighter support.
GENERATION 32:

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 10, 2014, 02:15:29 pm »

Is there any way for fighters to not show up on scanners? I had a battle where one of my primary anti-fighter ships got attacked by fighters that suddenly appeared just inside its weapon's range. Other fighters further away were visible, so it's not a question of scanner range.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 10, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »

Is there any way for fighters to not show up on scanners? I had a battle where one of my primary anti-fighter ships got attacked by fighters that suddenly appeared just inside its weapon's range. Other fighters further away were visible, so it's not a question of scanner range.
It seems to be a rare bug with visibility of fighters.

However, I plan to include several ways of hiding and several different types of scanners to make this a feature :)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »

Carsonjo's questions on playing this game as Humans has encouraged me to play as Humans on Hard- took me awhile, but it really struck home how superior Human Frigate-Class Ships are to the other races.

Once you've beaten Hard once it's pretty easy to do again, just repetitive- as soon as diplomacy is fixed, however, well... Things will get 'interesting'!
GENERATION 32:

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 27, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »

Double Post-Bump-Thing

Is there a possibility you could E-Mail or PM the text descriptions of everything for me to Grammar-Check and go over? I need something to do while I chaperone some kids, but not something I'll zone out doing too much. This way I am doing something.
GENERATION 32:

Ufnv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 27, 2014, 04:30:23 pm »

Double Post-Bump-Thing

Is there a possibility you could E-Mail or PM the text descriptions of everything for me to Grammar-Check and go over? I need something to do while I chaperone some kids, but not something I'll zone out doing too much. This way I am doing something.
Sure.

However, there is a new, updated version of these texts.

I am more or less finished with espionage - testing "disinformation" concept, also currently working on "advanced politics". So I am in the middle of the next big release.

My e-mail address is ufnv@mail.ru - could you please mail me for me to know the address where to send these texts.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 01, 2014, 10:25:28 am »

Sent you an E-Mail, just hit reply and I'll see what I can do.
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31